• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Crime Fiction?? (1 Viewer)

kiayaya

HSC
:wave: hi this is my first post (woot)

ANYWAYS, i'm wondering if it is too much of a risk to do a crime fiction piece, cause you know what with the word limit being only 8000 words, you cant really do character development AND solve a crime at the same time...

please reply with your views on crime fiction for a short story,

thanks

same person

HSC
I think you should go for it if it's something that you really want to do as long as you execute it to the best of your ability. And if you consider it as taking a risk, then I'm sure the markers would view it that way too...

It's for Extension Two English right?

Freckles14

HSC
I guess with a crime fiction piece you'd have no trouble linking it back to Extension 1 :)

But you'd have to really utilise and/or subvert all the conventions we've learned - it probably wouldn't work to just go in with a straight Golden Age / Hard-boiled story, unless it's incredibly super awesome. Ie, reincarnation of Agatha Christie / Raymond Chandler awesome.

I think it would be possible to solve the crime and develop the characters in 8000 words. You just wouldn't be able to do it in big chunks, it'd be more... surreptitious is the only word that comes to mind, sorry about that!

Welcome to BoS, by the way :)

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Sure you can. Most of Raymond Chandler's novels are short, as an example- not to mention the plethora of crime short stories out there.
Practice writing in the styles of half-a-dozen crime writers you like, it's fun and useful for developing your writing.

LordPc

HSC
Nah its quite possible to do a CF in 8000 words. You just cant have too many characters. In a Christie novel there is usually a dozen or so well developed characters and suspects, but in a short story there isnt time for that many characters.

But it is definately possible. I should know, since I did a CF for my major work ;)

kiayaya

HSC
wow thanks everybody,
i guess i just had a bit of a moment.

*determined face* i shall continue!

thanks again

btw if you guys have any more advice you're willing to throw at me please do

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
the hardest thing bout crime fiction (hard-boiled) is making it original imo.
when i was writing one i was thinking "hmm what bout this?" "no, done on law and order" etc.

funkynochi

HSC
the hardest thing bout crime fiction (hard-boiled) is making it original imo.
when i was writing one i was thinking "hmm what bout this?" "no, done on law and order" etc.
Quite true!

I had the same dilemma of whether to do a CF based short story or not for my MW earlier this year, but i decided to stick to it cos of the interest.
As they say, everything about 'crime fiction' is cliched, its how you execute your creativity! :eek:

LordPc

HSC
Dont think that police procedural, hard boiled and cosy school are the only types of CF that exist

just look up Ellis Peters. Bet you didnt expect that kind of CF ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)