Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
i think it would be similar to our half yearlies (coming up next week)

2 parts
1st part on genre, (module A: crime fiction 'genre')

then the 2nd part is creative writing,
about the conventions
hardboiled, whodunits, etc.

we only need to know our prescribed texts
(the big sleep; howard hawks, & the real inspector hound; tom stoppard)

i don't know about the creative writing
but it should be pretty sweet :)

Neon-Frog

If you only need to know your presribed texts its probably the same. Because it had refer to one of you prescribed texts <list of them> and write a script for TV, radio or a play, about an external investigator inquiring about the murders. they was some more to it but im pretty sure you've probably already seen the question

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
in the creative writing u will hav 2 write in the crime fiction genre - either a story or some other form or crime fiction. sometimes the qs are actually for e.g. a radio interview about the crime fiction genre, but usually it will be IN the genre.

then for the analytical u have 2 refer 2 ur texts and write about the genre and how the genre of crime fiction has been used.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
can u give me some ideas 4 related texts? i know we can read a sherlock holmes and an agatha christie, but what other books/short stories are there and where can i find them?
also, can u recommend any movies/tv shows etc. that may b useful.

Cleolia

heyhey
well, firstly i am REALLY starting to hate cime fiction
and i LOATHE SBTS
hate hate hate it
and my teacher doesn't even teach it...like...AT ALL
and well...i normally love reading but cant bring myself to finish
the damn thing, but i am almost there
i dont understand really, about what is meant to be the features of SBTS what i am meant to be taking note of and commenting on.
my teacher keeps jumping around...
we started SBTS, then it was interrupted by an assessment which we then looked at the big sleep ( i got full marks !:giddy:!)and now we are back at SBTS

so if anyone knows what im meant to be focusing on..i'd VERY much appriciate a hint or two :D

mon_mon

HSC
definition

Hey, i don't know about anyone else, but my teacher is really pushing the "definition" of crime fiction. Any ideas? all i have is that generally it is from the investigator's point of view and there is an investigation. But other than that i'm stuffed.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think ur teachers pushing the definition because thats what the module is about - genre. so u gotta make sure u have a good knowledge of what the genre of crime fiction is, and the sub-genres.
maybe look at csu website 2 give u some ideas

Juliana

hey mclake.
About those practice essay questions you mentioned. I could really do with some. I haven't done any essays so far for CF and I'm panicking coz the hsc's in 4ish months! plz help. Would u mind proof reading them when i'm done ??

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Juliana
hey mclake.
About those practice essay questions you mentioned. I could really do with some. I haven't done any essays so far for CF and I'm panicking coz the hsc's in 4ish months! plz help. Would u mind proof reading them when i'm done ??
Here's a question (let me know if you have already done it, or one like it):

"It is not only the observing of genre conventions that distingueshes a text but, prehaps more importantly, how it manipulates or subverts those conventions."

What have your texts demonstrated about the imporatance of conventions in establishing and challenging a genre?

You should refer to TWO of your prescribed texts and other related texts of your own choosing.
I would also be happy to read over your answer, but not untill after my exams (end of next week).

aussiechica

mon_mon-
the best definition I could find for CF is:a subgenre of fiction that deals with crime and their detection and criminals and their motices

Genre is the theory
the unit on CF is supposed to to be that theory in practise and test our skills in the application of that thery

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ohh.. mclake... thats a weird q. coz could u still talk about values in that 1?? do u talk about values in every essay coz thats wat the spin seems 2 b 2 me.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
ohh.. mclake... thats a weird q. coz could u still talk about values in that 1?? do u talk about values in every essay coz thats wat the spin seems 2 b 2 me.
Yes, you should always talk about values. And yes, values fit into this qiestion. When it says "conventions" this includes all of the "modern" conventions, such as including values in texts.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but values were included in texts b4 as well. dsnt conventions mean the typical conventions?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i mean,

he has said modern conventions - which includes including values in texts

however, i didn't know including values was a convention, i just figured conventions were the crime, the PI etc.

mon_mon

HSC
well, the values associated with the genre ARE conventions, because they are common to the genre.

Andronicus

I HATE THIS DAMN UNIT - IT SUCKS!!!

But it was the only way I could do Ext. 2 Eng. - and that was no great thing either...

RJ

HSC
Hey McLake - I'd really appreciate some advice. I've lost all faith in my teacher and as a result I'm feeling really insecure and starting to panic. I also had to have emergency surgery last term which meant missing the trials and vital practise time. Would you mind setting me straight on a few questions? (btw i've done RIH, TBS and SFOC)?

1. For all texts, you have to focus on the genre conventions, context in which they are written and the values linked to the text. Is this on the right track?
2. Is the basic idea that the composer uses the genre conventions to achieve his purpose - be it a ridicule of society, a moral message etc? If so, then how can a convention like "accretion of evidence" support the fact that Guterson is making a comment on the deep-rooted prejudice in society??
3. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm used to the study of characters and themes. Can this still be worked into the course? If so, how??
4. I am really confused about this question - was it your HSC question? How would you interpret it?

"How do the conventions of the genre you have studied for this module limit or support the impact of the composers vision?"

THANK YOU SO MUCH - in advance. I really appreciate any input!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by RJ
1. For all texts, you have to focus on the genre conventions, context in which they are written and the values linked to the text. Is this on the right track?
2. Is the basic idea that the composer uses the genre conventions to achieve his purpose - be it a ridicule of society, a moral message etc? If so, then how can a convention like "accretion of evidence" support the fact that Guterson is making a comment on the deep-rooted prejudice in society??
3. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm used to the study of characters and themes. Can this still be worked into the course? If so, how??
4. I am really confused about this question - was it your HSC question? How would you interpret it?

"How do the conventions of the genre you have studied for this module limit or support the impact of the composers vision?"

THANK YOU SO MUCH - in advance. I really appreciate any input!
1. Yes. (Note RIH parodies these)

2. It can't. But that is not the point. The plotline is a tool for conveying the message, but the plot line (and style, ie CF) is still a text in it's own right. So the accretion of evidence is a convention of the CF genre, whereas social commentry is a convention of modern fiction (and hence any CF after the "Golden Age")

3. Themes can be discussed when mentioning conventions of the genre, as can characters (sterotypical victum, criminal, detective, etc).

4. This question is asking you if the conventions of CF, and genre in genral, is restrictive towards social comment. Basically, can the author express his veiws yet stay true to the gernre. I think the answer is yes, and you would explain this through SFOC and your additional material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)