Critical study - personal pronouns??? (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
i wrote a fairly personal reflection on my political and social context and its effects on my critical interpretation of lincoln and keating's speeches. it was still a very formal tone, i just referred specifically to my context. the question did ask that we consider that specifically. i couldn't think how to do it without saying "I" and "my". i know gemita wrote it like a normal essay. are both ways valid? i would think so...who else wrote from a personal perspective like me?

Brad

I thought since it refered to us spefically to talk about in the context of OUR studies its perfectly resonable to use first person..... i did anyways.

welshi

HSC
Brad said:
I thought since it refered to us spefically to talk about in the context of OUR studies its perfectly resonable to use first person..... i did anyways.
goodgood. as long as one other person did it i feel justified...

tempco

HSC
I did it as a feature article, and used personal pronouns throughout...

welshi

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
I didn't use personal pronouns at all.....
yeah a lot of my mates just wrote straight essays...but how does that work when the question asks you to refer to your individual context in particular?

S

Shuter

I wanted to avoid them but since the question did ask for my personal views, I did use them.

ar5ena1

HSC
Your not suppose to really, well not for an advanced response "I" is such a standard way of writing. Use "the responder" or "it can be seen" or "it is evident to the audience".

Etc etc.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
welshi said:
yeah a lot of my mates just wrote straight essays...but how does that work when the question asks you to refer to your individual context in particular?
You talk about a modern or contemporary context. The markers know you dont live in the 1700's.

welshi

HSC
ar5ena1 said:
Your not suppose to really, well not for an advanced response "I" is such a standard way of writing. Use "the responder" or "it can be seen" or "it is evident to the audience".

Etc etc.
no that's actually just something they tell you in junior school to stop you writing "yeah and i reckon oberon's got a bit of a problem with that titania chick" in essays. it's acceptable as long as you retain the formal tone. that's what we're told anyway.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
i used "we" alot, as well as "the reader"
but then i had no idea what the fuck i was going on about in this one, so im the last person to ask

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I used harsh sarcasm in relation to Nahum Tate, I'm hoping I don't get marked down for that. Perhaps my marker(s) will have a sense of humor, and chuckle when they read that Shakepeare is more than likely spinning in his grave at Tate's patriotic bastardization of his classic text...

sigh

HSC
Yeah one of the markers at my school said it's fine to write I in an essay... Most of my Advanced class decided they couldn't do that and just chose not to... That's probably got more to do with 13 years of conditioning than anything else.

And you can integrate your context without saying I or My. I said 'today's society' a few times, or the responder... there are many tricky ways around it using the wonderful english language....

Sarcasm anyone?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nekkid said:
I did it as a feature article, and used personal pronouns throughout...
Clever!

To show my thoughts, I made dirrect statments. If I thought that this scene changed my thoughts, I would say "This scene changes the respoders thoughts"

AR

HSC
yeah, i didn't use the personal pronoun at all - i've been weaned out of it since year 8, i can't do it without thinking they're gonna mark me down. i think i got by though, i somehow got the message across.

S

Shuter

My teacher at school (who does HSC marking also), said that it is ok, and even recommended to use "I and "my" if the question asks for YOUR views. If it is asking a more general question about other readings or similar, you should not use them at all.

My teacher said it used to be that using pronouns in essays was highly frowed upon but the more recent course focuses on individual views now so it is perfectly acceptable to use them.

AR

HSC
Shuter said:
My teacher said it used to be that using pronouns in essays was highly frowed upon but the more recent course focuses on individual views now so it is perfectly acceptable to use them.
i hate the way that the course is now all about individual views - i can't be bothered!!! i wish it'd just go back to the old way where they asked you about critical readings and you told them about it! although, i guess we never have to do it again...

lucyinthehole

AR said:
i hate the way that the course is now all about individual views - i can't be bothered!!! i wish it'd just go back to the old way where they asked you about critical readings and you told them about it! although, i guess we never have to do it again...
what i find annoying is that the questions are all suited to the new course, etc, but what we learnt in class was still the old "variant readings of this text" thing.

w i l l s

>_<

OMFG!!!
i didnt fkn read the question properly! kjksdjlkasjdi!!!!
i didnt c the part abt "ur time and place" >_< ='(
lyk with lincoln i wrote abt how it was recieved at the time ... how it would be recieved my contemporary americans ... n then "non-americans" ... u think that'll suffice for my own context... =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)