Critique my resume! All tips appreciated (1 Viewer)

hovamagna

HSC
N/A
Hey fellas,
Since it's that time of the season, I was wondering if there are any current grads who are willing to check the format/layout/content of my CV.

CV : http://docdroid.net/wmyw

Cheers!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What is the purpose of your resume? i.e. who is it intended for?

hovamagna

HSC
N/A
What is the purpose of your resume? i.e. who is it intended for?
it's intended for accounting internships at local firms, and or a casual/part time job in a retail or an office environment.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A few comments:

General
- Use 'Present' instead of 'Current'
- Formatting is a bit inconsistent especially with the heading lines
- References should be its own heading. I personally would advise actually having referee names on there (but withhold contact details) to show that you actually do have referees and are not going to search for one in the last minute when they need to be contacted
- I think that the need to condense the resume into 1 page kind of compromises its formatting. It is perfectly fine to have a 2 page resume (which is the norm) unless the employer specifically stipulates that they want a 1 page resume.

Education
- 'major in Accounting/Marketing' sounds like a single major when it should be two majors
- Your '-' in 'Aug 2014 - current' is inconsistent with the other ones later down the resume
- Be a good idea to indicate expected completion of degree (and maybe WAM where applicable)
- You can list your achievements under your degree here
- Given how recently you started your degree, I would suggest putting your HSC as part of your education and the respective achievements you have under your HSC courses

Work experience
- Your duties can be written with a bit of skills-focused language (see Resume section in http://community.boredofstudies.org...tment-process-part-1-online-applications.html)
- Would avoid using 'I'
- Would put the reception role on top due to reverse chronological order convention (as it is your more 'recent' job)

Achievements and Extracurriculars
- Would put achievements in their respective parts under Education or Work Experience or ECs, not have them in isolation
- Your role name in the Accounting Association is not very clear
- "Strong communicator, with a demonstrated capability to effectively communicate with members." is not really suitable to put there in those exact words as you should be highlighting the duties or achievements which show that you have this trait
- I feel there is a lack of content here as it only mentions two ECs. Surely you have more to show than just those two?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My quick feedback is as follows:

Career objective - doesn't sound very decisive. Too many words, not enough impact. This is important given it's the very first sentence on the paper. Maybe mention something about becoming a CA or CPA if this is what you're interested in (presumably you are as you are applying for internships).

Education
University - you have nothing more to say than you attended university doing that as your major? Maybe add something like your WAM or if your study plan will be eligible for CA perhaps? I wouldn't worry about the double majors not being obvious- those who would care (i.e. accounting firms) will understand, and those who wouldn't understand probably won't care.

School - if you are going to list you came first in HSC subjects, you should be mentioning your school and ATAR/UAI. Otherwise it's a bit weird to only tell half the story.

Work Experience - I can see what you're doing here trying to link responsibilities with skills/outcome but it comes off as a bit of a weird amateur combination. Focus on what your core responsibilities were and use decisive or deliberate language. Also I wouldn't mention your WPM as that's not a responsibility or attribute; more of a skill which you can list at the end. If you really want to emphasise your IT literate with Office, then you can say one of your responsibilities was the data input into Microsoft Access or something (I wouldn't recommend it though).

ECs
Language choice - again, more decisive and formal/business language. eg Instead of emailing, use liaising. Try to use verbs as first word in your dot points; don't waste space with Responsible for...

Finally fix your formatting. It's inconsistent and distracting- e.g. I can't tell if bold means heading, subheading, etc... for example, your extra curriculars section is a bit confusing to read as the name of the society vs your role is not clear.

Also, one other thing, I can't see any personality in your CV. Given your CV will otherwise appear quite generic, try to include something of personal interest to help give your application a bit more impact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)