Cross-Culture component....HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

pretzle

HSC
N/A
Hey.
Ive just started my PIP, and im trying to work out my cross-culture component. Is 'different relevant experiences' one??? in the book it has it, but i havent seen it ANYWHERE else. and if so, does it relate to my topic?? home-schooling and normal schooling. can i compare them using different relevant experiences as my cross-culture com
ponent???
Please help! it would be much appreciated. my society n culture teacher is on long term leave and ive had relief teachers, who arnt quite as experienced...ahhh.
xx

lou_217

HSC
I'm not entirely sure if that's cross-cultural...but I have a suggestion. Why don't you make your cross-cultural comparison with another country and compare their views on schooling and home schooling with the other society (presumably Australia?)

nic56

Sheep Station (farm 4city ppl) 50 km NW of Wentwor
HSC
hello
i completed S&C in this year. My PIP topic was similar to yours. I really enjoyed researching it. Mine was Distance education rather than home schooling. My cross cultural component was overtime. the effect technolgy has had on educating rural and isolated children... mine was something along those lines. I chose my PIP topic because i completed schooling by Distance Education..
Hope i was some help to you.
Nicola

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
i dont know about different relevant experiences, but as has been said - try to make it different cultures, or different locations which you can get to.
depends on whats easiest to you. the points raised by nic and lou are both good ones. take their advise, ask your teachers, and friends. get as many ideas as possible and pick the one which best suits you.

pretzle

HSC
N/A
lou_217 said:
I'm not entirely sure if that's cross-cultural...but I have a suggestion. Why don't you make your cross-cultural comparison with another country and compare their views on schooling and home schooling with the other society (presumably Australia?)
Ok....thanks for the suggestions. if my question was something along the lines of:
Are home-schooled youths interacting sufficiently, to equip them with the skills and experience to effectively socialize with their peers?
idk how i could do that with another country??? i was going to use time, as did nic, and see how it effected youths in the 19(??)'s, but i figured its going to be hard to get into contact with them as i dont know anyone, and they dont do it anymore (cant get in contact through and institution). im just trying to make it easier for me lol. the way the society and culture text book put it :
-An examination of the meaning of Anzac Day, comparing views of soldiers who have served in a war with citizens who have never served. This uses relevant experiences as the basis of a cross-culture study.
is mine the same sort of thing? (if i added that i would investigate the question via different views and experiences of both home-schooled and non-home-schooled youths?)
1 of my methodologies are due in 2 weeks n im trying to figure out my question so i can do it!

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
How many home-schooled people do you know? If you're using relevant experience it will be the kids who have been home school versus the kids who haven't. However, each side will be bias, because they think through whichever side they've done it, they have been interacting sufficiently... Therefore personal reflection would also be biased in the same light.
What methodologies were you planning on using? More importantly, which methodologies do you feel most comfortable in using?

pretzle

HSC
N/A
SiZmOs said:
How many home-schooled people do you know? If you're using relevant experience it will be the kids who have been home school versus the kids who haven't. However, each side will be bias, because they think through whichever side they've done it, they have been interacting sufficiently... Therefore personal reflection would also be biased in the same light.
What methodologies were you planning on using? More importantly, which methodologies do you feel most comfortable in using?
ahhhhhh. its going to be very biased isnt it.... i know a reasonable number, i was going to use focus group, interview, questionaire. and get in touch with a homeschooling institution. each methodolgy would be presented to groups.
my confidence in my topic has dropped dramatically today. maybe, a different one........im losing time......

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Sorry if I dropped your hopes so much, but I just think it's best if you find out any faults in your idea early. Bias is something you can use to your advantage, but you have to be careful with how much bias you're presented with, and if you can look and your own bias objectively.

There are heaps of past S&Cers around here, and we'll be here all year, so don't freak out too much. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)