Crucible English? (1 Viewer)

chomp

HSC
HEy guys
what sort of power is in Thr crucible and any suggestiosn on related textx to the cruucible on power??

Zephyrio

HSC
Well, yeah, what Lucid said.

Arthur Miller married Marilyn Monroe, btw. That's interesting.

The Church does indeed hold most of the power within the play. But there are more - for example you could talk about the power of sexuality, where Abigail manipulates John Proctor; or the power which groups possess and how they implement their ideas with a pack-mentality...

Seriously, read it.

Pankcake Guddu

HSC
ahhh the crucible had so much fun analysing that at the begining of this yr...umm protor holds part of the power play as well and that can be evidenced at 1. the begining we can see that proctors name is revered and respected arthur miller suggests this through hir intrusions " proctor was a strong bodied man, even tempered and respected in salem", through other stage directions you can also pick up proctors personality and how the towns people show respect for him 2. power play is changed around when proctors past is brough up in court. the fact that he's guilty of sleeping with abigail sets a tense scence i ncourt as im sure you already know . but u see that fact that his able to confess to the court that he did inded sleep with her and explain abigails deciet by scaraficing himself shows the power he's lost to the court. and 3. we see proctor take on social power and and for all nad this is with the act of tearing up the confession in the final scene at last scaraficing himself for the "good of the community.

So yeah proctor holds a large amount of "social power" within the puritan community.

chomp

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
???
The Crucible, by Arthur Miller?
Heh, we did that in Yr10, even though we shouldn't have done it.

I don't 'get' your question. The oft-abused power exhibited in "The Crucible" is that of the Puritan church; the society depicted in the novel is a theocracy, run by Reverend Samuel Parris and, later when he intervenes, Rev. John Hale.
The novel itself is an allegory for the McCarthyism (an American senator, Joe McCarthy, would accuse people as 'reds' - hence the term 'red scare' - in order to gain/remain in power, if I recall correctly) and the aforementioned Red Scare, which was a period of time (1950's) in which Americans lived in fear of communism (Cold War) - and could simply pick up the phone and dob in their neighbours to the House of Un-American Activities, a board who would question suspected communists and do what they did.

Anyhow, what exactly do you mean "what sort of power is in Thr crucible and any suggestiosn on related textx to the cruucible on power??"

Simply put, it is the church-state's power; they abuse this power as they see fit, killing and oppressing all who oppose them.

I meant what sorts of power are conveyed throughout the texts and other sources showing the paricular types of power e.g harry potter, animal farm?

chomp

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Crucible English?

what sort of political power is conveyed in crucible?

Zephyrio

HSC

Political power that is abused?

cs01001

HSC

We touched on Crucible last year, never got to finish it, lol

B

Badgersprite

Judicial Power.
Power of the Masses.
The Power of Fear.
Theocratic Power.
The Absolute Power of Authority.
Power of Words?

><

I don't know specifically what you're asking for. I studied it in Extension English as part of Utopias & Dystopias.

I hope this helps.

ETA: The political system used at this time is the Theocracy, wherein all power is held by members of The Church, and all laws are based upon an interpretation of The Bible.

..::Cal::..

HSC
Now, we did the crucible at about term two I think, and we had to do an assignent on it like every1 else. The power that the crucible holds is contained by the use of many elements in the play itself, such as the themes, language and other various boring stuff. So, if u talk about about the power of these elemnts it may be easier.

david d 69

HSC
if you cant find a text with similar types of power even though im sure u can, maybe you can get another text with power and talk about the differences.
its not as powerful as similarities but if youre desparate theres an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)