Crucified nun dies in 'exorcism' (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Saturday, 18 June, 2005, 20:30 GMT (BBC)

A Romanian nun has died after being bound to a cross, gagged and left alone for three days in a cold room in a convent, Romanian police have said. Members of the convent in north-west Romania claim Maricica Irina Cornici was possessed and that the crucifixion had been part of an exorcism ritual.

Cornici was found dead on the cross on Wednesday after fellow nuns called an ambulance, according to police. On Saturday a priest and four nuns were charged in connection with her death.

Police say the 23-year-old nun, who was denied food and drink throughout her ordeal, had been tied and chained to the cross and a towel pushed into her mouth to smother any sounds. A post-mortem is to be carried out, although initial reports say that Cornici died from asphyxiation.

Local media reports that the young woman had arrived at the remote convent three months before, having initially gone there to visit a friend and opted to stay. She grew up in an orphanage in Arad, in the west of Romania. Mediafax news agency said Cornici suffered from schizophrenia and the symptoms of her condition caused the priest at the convent and other nuns to believe she was possessed by the devil.

"They all said she was possessed and they were trying to cast out the evil spirits," police spokeswoman Michaela Straub said. Father Daniel who is accused of orchestrating the crime is said to be unrepentant. "God has performed a miracle for her, finally Irina is delivered from evil," AFP quoted the priest as saying.

"I don't understand why journalists are making such a fuss about this. Exorcism is a common practise in the heart of the Romanian Orthodox church and my methods are not at all unknown to other priests," Father Daniel added. If found guilty of killing Cornici, Father Daniel and the accused nuns could face 20 years in jail.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Sweets said:
"God has performed a miracle for her, finally Irina is delivered from evil,"
indeed :rolleyes:

i bet she's now in a much better place :rolleyes:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Hope they get a larger sentence. They'll waste it away praying to 'God' anyways. :rolleyes:

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Extremism? Radicalism? Fundamentalism? Maybe even terrorism? Too bad they aren't muslims. </sarcasm>

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
miss_b said:
Yes, let us judge all priests from one example...:p
priest where always seen as assholes. i mean who would waste their life preaching about how we all will go to hell. let him pray his ass wont get loosened in jail

Comrade nathan

HSC
Im going to be annoying and mention that i bet this didn't happen under Ceausescu.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
priest where always seen as assholes. i mean who would waste their life preaching about how we all will go to hell. let him pray his ass wont get loosened in jail
not that im of any orthodox christian religion or anything...but if you did your research you might realise that there are not as many "fire-and-brimstone" out there as you might imagine...not even the radical pentecostal churches do that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)