CSSA Mathematics Advanced Paper (1 Viewer)

HSC
axlenatore said:
I thought it was a fair paper, harder than past ones but fairish. Are you referring to the ship question with the bearing cause is so then you needed to use the cosine rule
Yes that one, lot of errors involved. I tried cosine rule for that!

uebel

HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
What!??? Theres is nothing to do with radians to degrees stuff.
yeah mate i left my calculator in rads and when you put in shit for the sin or cos rule or whatever, its different...

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
dolbinau said:
Cool. Um..no one answered so I'll ask again :p, but, you know the last part of 10? HOw did we prove that?

I just showed the behavior of the length of BC when Alpha reached the edges of the domain (0 and something else). Was this correct?
I did the same as you :).

Did anyone work out part two of the series question where you had to find the annual rate at which Melina invested her money? I ended up with some horrible equation which couldn't be solved :eek:.

brendanstacey

HSC
I honestly felt that the paper wasnt that hard. They even told you to use the sin rule in q.10.

However there were some tricky q. like the multiple probabilty q.

harveynorman21

HSC
lol my school ammended that spiral question for some reason and threw in a few graphical integrations

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
Yes that one, lot of errors involved. I tried cosine rule for that!
Itll be because you either put the wrong values in, used the wrong formula or as someone already said we in the wrong mode on your calculator, you can still get part marks though

dolbinau

HSC
Faytle said:

Did anyone work out part two of the series question where you had to find the annual rate at which Melina invested her money? I ended up with some horrible equation which couldn't be solved :eek:.
Yes. I spent AGES using guess+check. (Was this the first part?). I got 79 months

For the second part, the equation could be solved.

---

Regarding proving things, I noticed no errors. I have another question about bearings though - I found Theta for the question about a boat, was it?, but what did I have to do with it to make it a bearing? (I.e he wouldn't just say thirty something degrees on compass to get to A). I did 270-Theta but that assumed the triangle top square was bearing 270 degrees so I don't think I was right.

HSC
Yea well i think i know why i go bad.

Reasons are:
1. Our teacher hasn't enformed in well such as performance and teaching skills.
2. Our school wouldn't have bits such as extension 1 questions in advanced maths.
3. My brain wonit wake up after question 4! I was healthy as newborn baby since then!

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:

Reasons are:
2. Our school wouldn't have bits such as extension 1 questions in advanced maths.
3. My brain wonit wake up after question 4! I was healthy as newborn baby since then!
I'm pretty sure that all of those questions were in the scope of the Mathematics course. They wouldn't put Extension questions into the paper. You might have to go back over the Year 11 course. Most of question 10 was on that.

tybermon j

HSC
dolbinau said:
Yes. I spent AGES using guess+check. (Was this the first part?). I got 79 months

i must have stuffed that question up i got like 156 months somewhere around that ......

DunnyBasher

HSC
brendanstacey said:
However there were some tricky q. like the multiple probabilty q.
I think you're referring to the probability question where you had to multiply the results
That question was almost identical to a past HSC paper, instead they changed it from rolling 2 dice to pulling 2 discs from a bag
I remembered the comment from the marking centre to help me do it :p
"Candidates where overwhelmingly more successful when they drew a table of possible values"

lee bamford

HSC
Do anyone else draw a frog sitting on a lillypad for that question with the trapezoidal rule?
no?
i guess im just juvenile then.

brendanstacey

HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:

Reasons are:
The thing they made you use was double angles from ext 1. However, you only had to apply the formula - not prove it like in ext 1 - they said that.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
dolbinau said:

For the second part, the equation could be solved.
I surprisingly didn't spend too long on the first part which ended up being 79 months as you said. But it was the second part that got me!

My equation couldn't be solved, definitely :eek:. So the way I went about doing the question was wrong. Mind letting me know how you approached it?

I ended up with two lots of (1+r/100), one to the power of 180 which was added to one to the power of 1. That was after working out the sum of a GP which I don't think was required :shy:.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
we got the cssa paper but some questions were changed, but i dont know which ones. in q 7 did people have a question where you had to prove that a large triangle was similiar to a small triangle in it? soo hard.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
This exam was easy. I was expecting a harder exam somehow.

I managed to finish exam in 2 hours and 5 minutes and spent another 50 minutes checking answers. During that re-checking, I discovered that I used Simpsons' rule but I fixed it.

There were a lot of "prove" questions as well. I am confident I got them all right...

I am looking at about over 108/120.

ankisha

HSC
Faytle said:

i totally got dat! and den i used a quadratic formula to solve it in like da last 10 mins:hammer:

icecoffee

HSC
lee bamford said:
Do anyone else draw a frog sitting on a lillypad for that question with the trapezoidal rule?
no?
i guess im just juvenile then.
That question threw me off for some reason! I know exactly what to do for Simpson's rule and i was pretty confident about the Trapezoidal rule but then i got really confused...
There were six sub-intervals but only 5 function values, what was the first one?
Also for the spiral question it took me a while, a whole heap of crossing out and a lot of scribbling but i finally proved it was a GP! That alone makes me happy, even if i did screw the rest up! >.<

selina38

HSC
I'm actually sitting here appalled at how bad that paper was.
I think i only managed to complete 3 quarters of the paper, and i KNOW the majority of others didnt even get through half.
Were they trying to kill us or something?
Sure I could have done fantastically if we had..you know...five hours or so.
But we had 3.
Wow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)