• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cssa Trials... (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
i'm ranked 1st, but that quite possibly easily change with the outcome with this exam

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
do teachers predict this for catholic trials???

the way i've been performing in chem exams since preliminary... i'd be happy with 70%+.... that would be a massive improvement to my half yearly mark...

i'm mainly concerened with my ranking...

i'm currntly ranked last.... my class has 4 students..

1st is no where within our reach... but 2/3/4 are exteremly close.... this exam could determine my rank
Nope...no cut-off predictions for CSSA trials, though that'd be nice :)

physician said:
lol.. more like 78.. which is why everyone walked out so early
Hehe...not bad :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
xrtzx said:
yeah but usually cssa ones are harder, so maybe a low 80 or high 70 would get u a band 6
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=34246

61/100 ---> 79

So I guess something like 63/100 would have aligned to a Band 5 (in 2003).
Given that both Biology and Physics had Band 6 cut-offs in the vicinity of 73-77 (from 2004 data), then I'd hope that Chemistry was around the same.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
do u guys think a 60 for this yrs CSSA would be a good enough mark.. especially if ur aiming for 80 in the HSC....

oh and by the way i was looking through past CSSA papers yesterday and comapring them to HSC papers i found HSC harder for some reason

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
xrtzx said:
also the cellulose questions was pretty gay
Hmm...well, I kind of ran out of ideas. I did 1 point for and 2 points against, then made my final judgement...hopefully that's enough for 4-5 marks.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
physician said:
do u guys think a 60 for this yrs CSSA would be a good enough mark.. especially if ur aiming for 80 in the HSC....

oh and by the way i was looking through past CSSA papers yesterday and comapring them to HSC papers i found HSC harder for some reason
I think a raw mark of around 62-63 could get you a Band 5...it would have had you done the HSC in 2003.

richz

lol, i kinda realted it to ethanol, cuz i really didnt learn about cellulose

so i said disad: crops, didnt burn efficiently.

ad: renewable so can be recycled and saved using limited resources, burnt cleanly

Last edited by a moderator:

Haku

actually the test was ok, but i thought the multiple choice was gay

for the NaHCO3 question i got 1495.(something)gram. i think because i used all the decimals for atomic weight to calc, but i dun know...can someone verify?

what did people get for the molar heat of combustion question, as i got 1391 something, but i dun know how i got it....

also the last question of MC what did u get? how do you do that question? a right answer would be appreciated....and for the oyster, was it 6 oysters?

physician

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hmm...well, I kind of ran out of ideas. I did 1 point for and 2 points against, then made my final judgement...hopefully that's enough for 4-5 marks.
mine was all for....lol... bad idea...

but i did ramble on quite alot for that question

Pointy Ears

HSC
Yea, cellulose question was excessively gay.
After researching that point on the syllabus from the net, and from quite a few textbooks, i found only very little information. (though again, it could just be me)
So yea, all i could say was that it can be broken down into smaller carbon chains eg alkenes. Then i wrote about how it was renewable, and then started going on about all this ethanol stuff as it was the only other link that i could find with cellulose....

physician

HSC
Pointy Ears said:
Yea, cellulose question was excessively gay.
After researching that point on the syllabus from the net, and from quite a few textbooks, i found only very little information. (though again, it could just be me)
So yea, all i could say was that it can be broken down into smaller carbon chains eg alkenes. Then i wrote about how it was renewable, and then started going on about all this ethanol stuff as it was the only other link that i could find with cellulose....
lol oh how we do think alike... evertime i'd come to write something.. the word 'ethanol' would click in my head

i spoke about it being a condensation polymer, monomer being glucose.. blah blah blah blah blah.... hang on condenstaion or addition.....

no i think it's condenstaion?.... help!!! no wait it is.. isn't it???

lankeytrollies

Easiest test in history. Though the oyster was actually impossible as they didn’t give you the weight of the average oyster.

richz

there is?? its about like why is cellulose more viable than carbon compounds

physician

HSC
velox said:
What was the cellulose question? I think there is an similar one in success one.
there were some questions in there that were exteremly similar to past HSC questions and even CSSA questions.... i suppose skimming through past papers the night before the exam does pay off

Pointy Ears

HSC
physician said:
no i think it's condenstaion?.... help!!! no wait it is.. isn't it???

Yep, its condensation :)

And ummm, with that pH of HCl question.
I put pH one.
My reasoning is that despite the HCl being diluted, pH isnt like moles or Molarity, therefore, how can it change?
I thought that the pH of a substance was always constant no matter wat happens to it.... :S

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
juhlm said:
Easiest test in history. Though the oyster was actually impossible as they didn’t give you the weight of the average oyster.
That was one of the reasons why I thought it was ambigious, but I just assumed that 200ppm meant 0.2mg (i.e. 200 micrograms)...but then that gave me 60 oysters which wasn't one of the options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)