• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cssa Trials... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ogden_Nash said:
Hmm, what about the dry cell question in the multiple choice? Not very handy if you've studied the lead-acid cell.
I was certain the syllabus only requires you to know one of the two, and not one in particular. Ah well...
if i remember correctly, i think the syllabus states that you have to know the dry cell battery plus another type. but you'll have to double check that, i don't have the syllabus in front of me.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
its

dry cell OR lead-acid and another from vanadium, button cells etc...

e.g.

my two were the dry cell and silver button cell

Ogden_Nash

HSC
Yeah, most people do the dry cell, so that question didn't help me very much at all. Now that I think of it though, I probably could've deduced the correct answer had I spent more time on it.

Pointy Ears

HSC
yea, that question didnt require any particular knowledge on dry cell batteries (i think), though it really does help.
I recall picking D, that Zn gets oxidised to Zn (II)...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
but c'mon seriously, if you know your oxidation and reduction stuff yous houldbe able to get what it was. c'mon one should know what the electrolyte is?!

guess C all the way.

the ammonia one was cool. it was asking for equilibrium. i was using my pen as a prop to make it logical :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
fantasy27 said:
no, we actually got a handout from conq. chem on Burhan G, a scientist at Qenos, Botany!
lol..me too.
Except I forgot the company and put "Queso"...lol...same difference :p

Trev

stix
HSC
Everyone in my class made up the scientist haha, mine was Dr. Schultz from Bowral water treatment plant. (Bowral DOES have a water treatment plant, doesn't it?!)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
xrtzx said:
lol Burhan, he is so cool
lol...I forgot his last name and put Gemonalski at first, then remembered that it was along the lines of Gemakonakli so I changed it...I scribbled it out so many times that the teacher will probably think I made it up anyway, coz it's such a peculiar name as well :confused:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
nit said:
Everyone knows Burhan :)
lol...he's famous and well-liked, yet he probably doesn't even know it :)

On that point...I think this part of the syllabus is kind of trivial in a way. It's virtually pointless asking a question based on the work of a specific working chemist/scientist. People will inevitably churn out Burhan or some random bs which the markers can't verify anyway... :confused:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you could always say " its m'uncle, e's a scientist OmgoZar~~!"

Haku

nit said:
lol all of HSC chemistry is bs in my opinion.
how is hsc chem bs?

its one of the most informative subject there are

but its bs for the question where they ask u to name a scientist, and i was like fuk, so i made some name up and than i made up what he did

do u guys actually remember?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
nosadness said:
how is hsc chem bs?

its one of the most informative subject there are

but its bs for the question where they ask u to name a scientist, and i was like fuk, so i made some name up and than i made up what he did

do u guys actually remember?
Well, us HSC people don't have anything to compare HSC chem with, so he's probably right.

I got my scientist thing from Conquering Chemistry. I don't even remember his name. I just remember he works at Quenos which makes ethylene from ethene and that chemistry concepts applied was absorption.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Well, us HSC people don't have anything to compare HSC chem with, so he's probably right.

I got my scientist thing from Conquering Chemistry. I don't even remember his name. I just remember he works at Quenos which makes ethylene from ethene and that chemistry concepts applied was absorption.
aha aha...

yeh i got my notes fro conquering chem as well...

Burhan Gemikonakli (something like that... i have no idea how to pronounce his surname)

Pointy Ears

HSC
Hmmm.
I got my scientist off the net: David Murray from the USYD site.
But now I'm beginning to think that the information he gave out about his job is a bit too brief. I'll think I'll have a look in Conquering chem...

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
physician said:
Burhan Gemikonakli (something like that... i have no idea how to pronounce his surname)
pronounce.. i can't even spell it lol.. in the exam i attempted.. i wrote Geminokli or something, then i crossed it out and just wrote Burhan G. lol'..

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:

lol...I said he worked in industrial processes, using gas chromatogaphy or something like that. I memorised it about 45 mins before the exam :)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol...I said he worked in industrial processes, using gas chromatogaphy or something like that. I memorised it about 45 mins before the exam :)
yeh... that's right... he also monitored wastes

and made sure propylene and i think ethylene were satisfactory for the next stage of manufacture....

he also collaborated with process engineers (i forget why.. lol)

my whole chem class was freaking out before the exam... i had at least 4 questions thrown in my face half an hour before the exam... i had no idea what anyof the answers to them were...

i also realised i missed a dot pt whilst studying .. something about recently discovered tranusranic elements... (something along those lines)

I can't believe were still discussing the chem exam lol.... MATHS MONDAY ... ahhhh!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)