Curious on what degrees BOS'ers want to take (1 Viewer)

What type of degree's are you considering to undertake in university?

• Total voters

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
What degrees do you guys want to do? Choose an option (2 if double degree) you feel most likely to do as of now. I'm just curious, also will help me see what subjects people might take for the other thing I want to do.

Cheers.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Do u guys think that compsci will still be in demand after 10+ years considering that there are so many people doing it?
Many people ATTEMPT it, but people drop the degree after comp1511 (unsw's intro to programming) if they didnt like it. The first course isn't too bad if you programmed before but definitely breaks the morale of many people who do it "for the money" and have no experience in coding. It's probably laughable to anyone who's coded before to a significant extent but I can't say anything.

Furthermore, I don't think CS will adequately prepare you for jobs but rather build a foundation to get to there. You still have to actively engage in your own learning outside the curriculum to land internships.

Really doubt that CS will lose demand after 10 years, will the degree become more saturated? Perhaps. Will employers start caring less about the degree and more about the exp.? Already happening. Will the skills you learn in CS become niche after 10 years? Highly doubt it.

note:
my speculation, only a CS grad can give a credible resposne

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Many people ATTEMPT it, but people drop the degree after comp1511 (unsw's intro to programming) if they didnt like it. The first course isn't too bad if you programmed before but definitely breaks the morale of many people who do it "for the money" and have no experience in coding. It's probably laughable to anyone who's coded before to a significant extent but I can't say anything.
I was hoping to do double degree with CS next year as one of my preferences, how much programming knowledge is sufficient for the degree?? I have a basic to intermediate knowledge of python and I was learning JavaScript during lockdown (forgot most of it though) and I was wondering if I needed to learn more

dav53521

HSC
Do u guys think that compsci will still be in demand after 10+ years considering that there are so many people doing it?
My honest opinion is that maybe the software engineering area might not be in a lot demand but other areas such as cyber sec will be in some demand. Also even with stuff like software engineering/development there is still some demand you just gotta work for it as if you demonstrate skill have work experience then there is a decent chance that you'll land a job in software development. The thing is that you gotta really work for it as if you just get the degree then it'll be hard but if you show strong problem solving/programing skills, have a decent portfolio, know how to do well in coding interviews and have worked a bit as an intern then you'll be ahead of people who just get the degree and expect to land a job

Last edited:

dav53521

HSC
I was hoping to do double degree with CS next year as one of my preferences, how much programming knowledge is sufficient for the degree?? I have a basic to intermediate knowledge of python and I was learning JavaScript during lockdown (forgot most of it though) and I was wondering if I needed to learn more
Tbh it really depends because learning to code is not just learning a language it's about learning how to problem solve, learning how to interpret code and understand why it was written. So in my opinion it really depends on the person because some people might struggle while others might find it incredibly easy to learn. However, if you do decided to learn programming for uni I would recommend learning about how to program in general so don't just follow tutorials on how to program in xyz and instead learn about the fundamentals of programming. One thing that many programmers recommend is that you should work on projects and not just follow tutorials because that's how you end up in "tutorial hell" where you can't actually program and just can only follow someone else.

So I will say learn the basics of programming and a language decided upon a project and just do it. Tbh I only knew how to be a somewhat alright programmer last year and that was because mostly I just smashed together a pretty bad program for my sdd major work but I still learn a lot from it as I was forced to learn how to program and how to write functioning code that solves an issue even though some of my solutions were incredibly bad. But the one thing that I will say is that it taught me almost all of the programming knowledge I had before uni (the algorithm questions in SDD also did help as they forced me to think up of a solution to a problem). Plus at my work I'm doing a similar sort of thing as I got taught some programming stuff that I would need and was then asked to program up proper programs using my knowledge.

So overall my two cents is that it somewhat depends as programming isn't about the language it's about you're overall knowledge and you're willingness to deal with problems because in the end programming is just solving a problem using a tool (the programming language).

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Where's the education option?
Oops, I forgot that one mb. Just pick whatever field closely relates to what you teach. Also it won't let me add any more options.

If you're doing an education degree just like this comment and I'll consider it as a vote.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
No, some jobs are bound to become automated/redundant/oversaturated, but as long as you keep up with the latest technologies and you keep upskilling yourself, it should be fine.
Agreed, temp has masterfully integrated the cyberspace into his realm of stalking. My congratulations to this young fine gentleman in being a role model to everyone in this era on how to adapt to the fast-paced nature of this environment.

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Chatgpt will catch on and then that degree will be less valuable than summer ant.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Do you want to do Actuarial?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
that or data science are what i want to do the most, i put more science-focused degrees on my preferences too but i might be bending towards those
Yeah I might transfer into it next year

it does align more with what I want to do post uni anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)