• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

curling tong help (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
i bought a curling tong yesterday 32mm ConairPro Ceramic Curling Iron

can someone give me step by step how to use em properly because i tried following the instructions without turning it on cause i do not want to burn myself i wanna get the technique right first before i turn it on and i cant seem to wind the hair properly

can someone help me out here thanks :)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
ok. you cant really wreck your hair unless you try to curl it when its wet or you hold it for far too long (as in a minute...) you're pretty safe.

take a strand of hair about an inch wide and comb it through from the base to the tip.

take the tongs and open the clasp.

starting at about 10 cm from the roots, wind the hair around the tongs as many times as will fit and reclamp the clasp.

leave for 5-8 seconds, depending on how tight you want the curl. the longer you leave it the bouncier the curl.

repeat all over the head, use a mirror to curl the back of your hair.

it takes practice, but after a while you'll get quick at it.

you can also use thicker strands if you want loose waves.

rosepetal25

HSC
N/A
using a thermoactive mousse also helps hold the curl and protect your hair... ;)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i do it differently to Alley, not that her way won't work.

but i have LOTS of hair, and it takes me about an hour and a half to do it all properly.

I start by tying up all my hair except for the bottom most layer nearest my neck.

get a section of hair about 2cms wide, open the tongs and clap it over the very ends. Then just wind it up, all the way to the roots, but not to close to your scalp you burn it off lol.

wait for a few seconds and unwind it. funnily enough, at the hair dressers, they curled my hair for the formal, and curled it much the same way i curl my own, but there is a special way to unwind as well. This is SO hard to explain. but, unwind the tongs a few inches down, simply by turning the tongs. Then, let your wrist swivel, so the tongs are held almost vertical, and unwind the hair as it comes off the tongs, don't turn the tongs. Gosh i hope you understand what im trying to explain.

basically that just avoids ruining the curl, which can happen by unwinding the normal, logical way.

then keep repeating all over the bottom layer. When you're done, untie the rest of your hair and gather the next layer, piling the rest of your hair on top of your head again.

rosepetal25

HSC
N/A
yeah shell thats a good idea...if you have those big clippy things they work well.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Sometimes I put my wand too close to my hairline and scalp and it burns a little,it usually just stings a bit then goes away.
You shouldn't have to touch the hot wand bit for any reason. Some people wrap their hair around the curling wand with their hands, but I just take a small section of hair and grab it with the wand and wind it around with the wand. Start from the ends of your hair and wind it as close as you can to your scalp, or if you want the curls starting halfway just wind it up halfway.
When you finished spray with a little hairspray, this helps hold the curls. Don't use too much or it can look too sticky.

= Jennifer =

HSC
so when winding it goes over the clasp thing too? so the clasp thing is only really then just to hold the bottom of the hair in place?

thanks for your help so far :)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
so when winding it goes over the clasp thing too? so the clasp thing is only really then just to hold the bottom of the hair in place?

thanks for your help so far :)
That is correct!!it only clamps down the ends.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i dont tend to use any products in my hair- dont like the eeky feeling

bex

HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
on this note, does anyone know how to curl with a ghd? i just cant get the hang of it

yeah its a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of it the curls look AMAZING and seem to last forever! with the GHD its more about manouvering the wand as opposed to winding the hair.. i think the best technique is to start at the top of the head (ie close to the scalp) and twist the wand down as you go...

crappy explaining i kno but its alll in the wrist action!

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
on this note, does anyone know how to curl with a ghd? i just cant get the hang of it
I do but explaining how to release the curl is complex.

Its similar to a curling wand in that you wind it around the GHD. But similar to Shell's discription fo releasing the curl.

I cant explain in words without being able to demonstrate. Sorry!

Note: Bex sounds like her way would also work. I suggest experimenting one night when not going out and finding a way which suits you :)

jebbie

HSC
dark`secrets said:
i dont tend to use any products in my hair- dont like the eeky feeling
I totally agree! Only I have naturally curly hair, to keep mine straight I need to use product. My hairdresser (who is freelance (read, no deals with companies so you know her advice is for real) recommended this frizz reduction spray (forget name and cbb going up stairs to find out). I apply before straightening and it actually creates a smoother finish without giving a producty look or feel. I love it

em_516

bludging..
HSC
jebbie said:
I totally agree! Only I have naturally curly hair, to keep mine straight I need to use product. My hairdresser (who is freelance (read, no deals with companies so you know her advice is for real) recommended this frizz reduction spray (forget name and cbb going up stairs to find out). I apply before straightening and it actually creates a smoother finish without giving a producty look or feel. I love it
sometime when you CAN be bothered going upstairs, can you let me know what that product is? need frizz reduction :(

jebbie

HSC
em_516 said:
sometime when you CAN be bothered going upstairs, can you let me know what that product is? need frizz reduction :(
kms
'flat out'
its a "hot pressed spray"
and scented as "berry vanilla" or something..

its in a bluey/pureplish container with a clear top. i spray over hair when damp/almostdry and straighten with straightener. works a charm and smells devine <3

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i had a try and i just decided, i must be a retard.

i can only do one type of curl, and it looked really good but fell out heaps quick '

:(

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
i had a try and i just decided, i must be a retard.

i can only do one type of curl, and it looked really good but fell out heaps quick '

:(
either use a soft hold product like tigi bedhead or learn to curl with a ghd, because ghd curls never fall out.

Rainbow Joanna

HSC
My hair is really straight at the moment and when that happens sometimes to get it really curly you need to just visit the hairdressers as it can take ages...YES, ages!!!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
how the hell do you people get curls in 5-8 seconds?? i have to hold it there for like a minute and a half and then hairspray the fuck out of it to get it stay in for longer than like an hour :( i thought at first i was using too much hair for each curl but nope. :s
i normally really like my hair, but it fails at curling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)