Current Econ Affairs (1 Viewer)

know_it_all

thought id jst make a thread where we can discuss current issues regarding specifically to econ...like current inflation, capacity constraints, Howard's IR reforms...

all those sorts of things that are good to drop in into an econ extended response.

so current affair away :rolleyes:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I'll comment on Howard's IR reforms first:
I believe that they're necessary to improve the efficiency of the economy and to ensure that rewards and remuneration are based on productivity and not simply time spent on the job.
Whilst I'm not working, I don't know why so many people are protesting against these reforms. If you do your job well and you aren't merely "bludging" through your job, then I see no reason for worry - you'll be rewarded for a job well done.

Cityboy

HSC
You forgot the pursual of trade agreements, the FTA with the US and China and the increase of CERTA to include Singapore, Australia's attempt to enter ASEAN.

volition

arr.
HSC
Well with those IR reforms, I think that they're a little too harsh on the people. I understand that it would theoretically mean improved efficiency, but I just think that it's going to put unnecessary pressure on people to be able to 'stay in their job' and support themselves/family. Eg. People will be less likely to have children if they don't have a secure job, and having children is also theoretically 'improved productivity'.

I suppose if I had to talk about it in an exam, I would still 'pretend' to support the reform because of the economic argument behind it :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
leading edge gave me a whole booklet called Current Economic Conditions 2005 (from there lecture day)

know_it_all

how bout petrol prices...
they say thats equivalent to a .5% increase in interest rates
relaxing time for the RBA

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Tim dixon puts out some good current information regulary.

On Oil prices; The inflationary effect will lead to an upward pressure on Interest rates. So may not be relaxing time if inflation gets out of hand. (and its heading towards 2.75-3%; the uper part of the RBAs range.)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
volition said:
Well with those IR reforms, I think that they're a little too harsh on the people. I understand that it would theoretically mean improved efficiency, but I just think that it's going to put unnecessary pressure on people to be able to 'stay in their job' and support themselves/family. Eg. People will be less likely to have children if they don't have a secure job, and having children is also theoretically 'improved productivity'.

I suppose if I had to talk about it in an exam, I would still 'pretend' to support the reform because of the economic argument behind it :)
Hmm...I guess I lean more towards right wing views, so that's why I don't oppose the IR reforms :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah in an economics exam you would support the IR reforms, while in legal studies you would talk about how howard is the devil.

Haku

Without Wings said:
yeh last year about this time, i bought a book with current (the last year) economic happenings it was great, very useful and only cost me $10.
where did u buy it?

and with that, how much of old reforms and data do we need to know and in how much detail. or is it more impressive to give more detail on the new movements?

HSC
IR reforms should improve labour productivity and increase employment and all that, however the removal of unfair dismissal laws for businesses with fewer than 100 employees was unexpected for me and perhaps a little too harsh. Notice how these reforms were brought in the year after an election whilst people were calling for them before the election. People are reacting so badly to these reforms though i believe because of their tendency to believe things they see on TV and read etc. (like ACTU propaganda). I think people are overreacting.

Haku

oh, i c.

um...mind scanning a few pages up to see if its worthwhile to get

Haku

bump...

does anyone know where it is possible to get the latest changes and reforms beside the data thats listed on leading edge data sheet.

diddle_97

HSC
sunjet said:
leading edge gave me a whole booklet called Current Economic Conditions 2005 (from there lecture day)
Hey

sunjet, do u reckon u could please post up this booklet? if that's not possible..do u know if it's similar to their newsletters?

thanks

Haku

...hm what does IR stand for? wasn't wat u guys were talking about are the labor market reforms?

sunjet could u actually type up just the heading or name of the current reform so we can know what to actually watch out and search for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)