Cutoff Trends (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
I am just very protective of my beloved law.
That's exactly right. But please remember that, at an academic level, it should be treated as any other subject -- anyone who wants to try it (for whatever reason) and has good enough marks should be allowed to.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think it really shat some people when I told them how I came to the decision to do law, ie flipping of a coin. It shows that a lot of law students not only consider themselves above the rest (they *love* to emphasise 'I'm doing laaaaaaww'), but consider law to be some kind of sacred study.
I think it's because it's kinda still that way in america / england also.

As for people emphasising the fact that they're doing law, I don't mind it that much... as it's good to have some pride in your degree. Tho you know marketing(or you know... whatever the influence was) has gone overboard when people who were in law for a year and dropped it... tell you that they 'used to do law' when you ask them 'what degree do you do at uni?'.

I don't mean to come across that way at all . I guess since I spent the whole year thinking I wouldn't make it I just got very annoyed lol. I don't think it applies only to law but many other fields where there is a high demand. I am just very protective of my beloved law.
lol don't feel bad or anything :(

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Fair enough, don't worry I'm sure the passion will be knocked out of me in a few weeks :D

I think you should be allowed to try by all means, what I am saying there should be a way to take into account interest and experience as well (thats not to say to exclude all those without) for example my friend who missed the cutoff for a course at CSU they had a UAI cut off and another application where you could write essays, mention courses work experience etc...

ppl say they 'used' to do law :rolleyes:

I hate telling people what I am going to study when the ask, they either do the shocked look or say things like 'wow you must be smart, I wish I was that smart etc' and make you feel bad...that or they proceed to tell you how little lawyers earn or how unhappy they are...like I am an idiot and don't know all that

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
melsc said:
Fair enough, don't worry I'm sure the passion will be knocked out of me in a few weeks :D

I think you should be allowed to try by all means, what I am saying there should be a way to take into account interest and experience as well (thats not to say to exclude all those without) for example my friend who missed the cutoff for a course at CSU they had a UAI cut off and another application where you could write essays, meantion courses work experience etc...
Now, you should argue your case that me and pwar are actually more pompus than you because we're talking about the 'pompusness' of the common law students.

;)

that or they proceed to tell you how little lawyers earn
Well it's not really that bad. I think alot of people in Australia have 'pretend' money, it's where you buy a whole bunch of expensive stuff on loan to 'pretend' you're rich. Everyone in Australia has done this so much that we actually start to believe that we are that rich... Then one day the banks want their money back :/

I'm not an economics student, so I might be wrong or whatever... But I do see a problem of this in Australian society. We're starting to devalue the things we have as if we actually are that rich, but all of the money we have is tied up in loans and credit :/

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
my head hurts...lol i can't think lol...last night I even insisted that I was so sober I could litigate...obviously not lol

I know...people then also tell me what uni I should go to, etc...they pretend to know it all and think I havent looked into it all...I had someone insist that I could transfer in 4th year to another uni???

I can see I am going to be one of those people that everyone wants to smack out at uni for being a try hard or something LOL

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You have to work things out for yourself. Of course you can listen to people for advice etc, but in the end... you're becomming an adult now and everything is your decision. Cliche`, but it's 'your life'.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I wish they would realise that. They think I don't know what I am getting myself in to, granted I may still be a little naive but its not like I am going into this with no clue, I have been planning this since years 9-10.

It was even anoying when people asked me what I wanted to do all of last year, they would tell me 'oh its so competitive etc' even worse then when they find out where I am going it get another lecture pffttt I zone out

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's not like it's a permanent thing anyway mel... I mean people switch around shitloads at uni, i'm pretty sure more than 50% change their degree at some point during their uni 'career'.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
But I guess doing Commerce for your parents is a much more valid reason? :rolleyes:

Really, any reason to do any subject is fine. Doing law because you can is as good a reason as doing it for the money.
i said i frown upon. i didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to, robbie. there's a slight difference :p

and commerce is, i have said, just to pass the time :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm going to do arts at usyd (if they accept my late round... they have vacancies and I'm pretty sure my NRSL got me into a course around the 92 mark so I have a decent chance). Truth is I'm more interested in that sort of thing, and it gives me a good chance to do grad law, which I may do either here or OS.

I wonder which course will have more communists - b laws at uws or arts at usyd....

Demandred

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm not an economics student, so I might be wrong or whatever... But I do see a problem of this in Australian society. We're starting to devalue the things we have as if we actually are that rich, but all of the money we have is tied up in loans and credit :/
Diminishing marginal utility - more we have (or think we have) less we value it, for instance, $1 million may not be worth much to Packer, but is worth a lot to an average Joe. Australian's are one of the biggest pigs in the world, we spend $1.25 for every $1 we earn, making the economy very volatile.

Back to the topic... anyone heard of theory of comparative static? Here's how it goes:

*Usyd law UAI drops to 95* (lol as if)"

2005 hopeful ex-high schooler - "OMGZ0Rs! its so easy to get in! 1st preference it is!"

*High demand = higher UAI*

2006 hopeful ex-high schooler - "OMGZ0Rs! no way i can get in! time to erase it off my preferences"

*Everybody sees the high UAI is discouraged to choose Usyd law, since there is low demand, UAI drops"

Repeats every year. Of course, I doubt this would happen to Usyd, but for UWS, perhaps.

As for which is more communist, communism is usually inversally correlated with wealth, so obviously UWS :). We got Mann and Head, how could we lose ?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm really surprised uws had vacancies at 85 uai... It's really not - that bad. Demandred is a smart bloke and he goes to UWS, alot of the students really are on the ball... I mean there are a few 'slack' people (me) but most people try hard, the lecturers really are quite intelligent (at least in the mind of this UWS peon). I think the reason UNSW went up is because they fought harder for the top students...

The reason courses accross the board went down is because they offered more fee paying places, they all need funding...

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Would you rather me do it at unsw? I mean... I could do it at uts (they don't offer it) or usyd... they're both just off the train from me. I've travelled to UNSW before and it is far... I'm going from Mulgoa out in 'the sticks' driving 15 minutes to penruff station and taking an hour by train to get there... once I get there I'd really only rather a short walk other than a bus trip + a short walk...

I might do graduate at UNSW (If i can actually make it) btw lundy... did you block me on msn you bitch?

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The vacancies were for Campbelltown though, it seems they have vacancies often.

I think UWS was aware this was going to happen. I got a call in Dec offering me a scholarship which I hadnt even applied for any since i didnt live in the area. The scholarships were for a few specific courses one being combined law. The condition was having UWS as a first pref etc... I didnt think they were that desparate for law students and didnt think that my uai would get me a scholarship but I guess they were trying to entice more people to do the law and other programs due to a lack of interest?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Would you rather me do it at unsw? I mean... I could do it at uts (they don't offer it) or usyd... they're both just off the train from me. I've travelled to UNSW before and it is far. I might do graduate at UNSW... btw lundy... did you block me on msn you bitch?
If by "far" you mean a 10 minute bus trip then yes. Although I grudgingly concede that Usyd's arts faculty is the better (bigger) of the two.

And no I'm signed off.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
^ I figured thats why UNSW went up .5 this year and USYD down .5
I really don't think anyone likely to get into USyd law (and who wanted to get in it) would say 'oh dear, I might not get it. I'm not going to put it first pref. Instead, I'll put UNSW'.

With mandatory UAI predictions, a student who's got a likely UAI will put USyd first. The whole 'I might waste a space' mentality really wouldn't apply if you've got that high of a UAI -- you're really going to get one of your higher prefs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)