Cyber Bullying/Gossip Girl (1 Viewer)

Yomo

HSC
With the recent expulsion of a couple of Ascham girls because of cyber bullying in the news, I was wondering what everyones take on the cyber bullying problem is.

Our school has had several 'Gossip Girl' sites and a 'Burn Book' site and in recent days the school has been trying to take action against them, one site has been closed but there are still some up.

Does your school have a gossip girl or burn book site? and do you think that it is a big problem re cyber bullying?

sdcloud69

Banned
HSC
i love gossip girl

that's all i have to say on the matter

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Its human nature to bitch, I don't think we should 'protect' children from words.

It can be character building.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Its human nature to bitch, I don't think we should 'protect' children from words.

And I'm sure some would say it can also be life destroying

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

It depends on how far it goes, and on how long it goes on for though.

Lukybear

HSC

The guys gota a point. Start with small bitching at young age, then progress to larger and more damaging bullying at high school. Prepares you for life.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
cool story is cool.

<3 gossip girl.

Natendo

HSC
Why do people feel the need to imitate inferior shows/movies?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
This whole thing is ridiculous. Posting things on the Internet is not bullying. Kids need to learn to deal with people saying bad things about them. Trying to shelter them from it by making up terms like 'cyberbullying' and punishing people for making a funny website is fucking ridiculous.

fleckar

HSC
beware the social heirachy because girls are all bitches i think i dont really know any though

artist91

HSC
Yeah I think this is happening everywhere. There's been a few incidents in the paper here on the GC. And definitely back home in the states it happens at every school usually with the seniors posting about the freshman and sophomores. When mean girls came out it was the burn book but now everywhere has their own Gossip Girl!

Natendo

HSC
This whole thing is ridiculous. Posting things on the Internet is not bullying. Kids need to learn to deal with people saying bad things about them. Trying to shelter them from it by making up terms like 'cyberbullying' and punishing people for making a funny website is fucking ridiculous.
Posting things on the internet isn't bullying? your right.

It's more than that.

It can be blatant discrimination or defamation. Both of which have serious legal ramifications.

If such acts warrant a legal consequence, doesn't this then validate it's seriousness?

I also think you need to read up a bit on 'the media' and stop dislocating it from 'real world'. The virtual world is a cultural space filled with real thoughts, beliefs and emotions.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It can be blatant discrimination or defamation. Both of which have serious legal ramifications.

If such acts warrant a legal consequence, doesn't this then validate it's seriousness?
Discrimination is not illegal, and it's not defamation if it is true or is an opinion.

The virtual world is a cultural space filled with real thoughts, beliefs and emotions.
I don't recall saying that it wasn't.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
How is discrimination not illegal.
It is illegal, but the "Cyber bullying" part of discrimination isnt.

Fuck if some socialite slut or some cockfag is posting BS on the internet, just post a picture of them being a tard straight back.

Old friend of mine was bitching about me because i refused to drink.

I posted a picture of him passed out on another guy.

Problem solved.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
The main difference between bullying and cyber-ullying is that the non-emotional ramifications of cyber bullying last much longer. Someone can call you names and gossip about you, but most people will forget about it eventually. The internet is forever, and that means namecalling and pictureposting can haunt people for the rest of their lives, whether it be in the workforce or in their social life.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
With the recent expulsion of a couple of Ascham girls because of cyber bullying in the news, I was wondering what everyones take on the cyber bullying problem is.

Our school has had several 'Gossip Girl' sites and a 'Burn Book' site and in recent days the school has been trying to take action against them, one site has been closed but there are still some up.

Does your school have a gossip girl or burn book site? and do you think that it is a big problem re cyber bullying?
hahahahaha, burn book was only closed because everyone knew it was beau. the school has nothing to do with it being closed, and although they might try, noone knows who 'gossip girl' is so it can't be leaked to the teachers.

the gossip girl one is funny because it only posts truth, and in the true style of gossip girl, is only done in initials so basically if you don't know what happened already, you don't exactly know who it is.

lol at mrs graham [our deputy principal] making up a myspace profile in a false name, saying how much she misses her 'casbah' friends, and how uni work sucks but she loves alcohol and hangovers.

i don't think the gossip girl one is a problem at all. anyone who's read it would know that it's not bad.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
How is discrimination not illegal.
I'm not saying it is not illegal at all, I am saying it is not illegal at a personal level. If I am running a business and I refuse to hire black people for example, that is illegal discrimination. If I don't want to be friends with black person in my personal life and exclude them from my group of friends that is legal discrimination. The government cannot force me to be friends with someone I don't want to be friend's with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)