Cyber Bullying/Gossip Girl (1 Viewer)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I reckon MASAI warriors aren't affected by cyber bullying because they don't use computers and they can smash that person if they wanted to and they aren't affected by gossip girls because the girls cannot be understood by the MASAI warrior because it is a foreign language.

Lukybear

HSC
I'm not saying it is not illegal at all, I am saying it is not illegal at a personal level. If I am running a business and I refuse to hire black people for example, that is illegal discrimination. If I don't want to be friends with black person in my personal life and exclude them from my group of friends that is legal discrimination. The government cannot force me to be friends with someone I don't want to be friend's with.
+1

Do you see the KKK getting round up? Western civilisation based on liberty, freedom of speech. My opinions are mine and no one can change that.

Althought i strongly disagree with discrimination, it does happen, even on a sub counscious level.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
+1

Do you see the KKK getting round up? Western civilisation based on liberty, freedom of speech. My opinions are mine and no one can change that.

Althought i strongly disagree with discrimination, it does happen, even on a sub counscious level.
what does the kkk have to do with girls at ascham bullying each other

Yomo

HSC
i don't think the gossip girl one is a problem at all. anyone who's read it would know that it's not bad.
you're right our schools one is just funny, they are still trying pretty hard to close it though, asking round and trying to figure out who it could be.

Grahams attempts at getting inside it are pretty golden as well

I think the Ascham one was pretty bad though, from what I read it was heaps more blatant and offensive, it crosses the line.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
you're right our schools one is just funny, they are still trying pretty hard to close it though, asking round and trying to figure out who it could be.

Grahams attempts at getting inside it are pretty golden as well

I think the Ascham one was pretty bad though, from what I read it was heaps more blatant and offensive, it crosses the line.
yeah definitely. i've only heard a little bit about it, but it sounds like it was really offensive.

people in my year have been walking past her office saying stuff about bernadette scales really loudly. is quite the funny.

hairspray

HSC
One of my friends had a "Gossip Girl" website as a joke and just wrote random stuff on it for a laugh. I thought it was pretty funny like some really exaggerated stuff about me was put up there, we all had a laugh and joked about it. This was until my friend posted a funny pic of another friend (lets call her X). X got really upset about it and went and told the deputy principal and my friend got in heaps of trouble, had to write a sorry letter to X and the site was closed down.

Also there was a bunch yr8 students who made a "I hate Miss (deputy's principal's name)" group on bebo. When the deputy principal found out, she went nuts and the group was closed down.

Noone got expelled/ suspended or whatever.

iiinsane02

HSC
I must admit, Gossip Girl is extremely addictive and bitchy. It is one of the best shows aimed predominately to the younger, teenage audience - which explains its popularity.

Gossip Girl is awesome! ;):p

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
hey yomo, who are you?

and as for the previous post, lurk around myspace or gtfo

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
This whole thing is ridiculous. Posting things on the Internet is not bullying. Kids need to learn to deal with people saying bad things about them. Trying to shelter them from it by making up terms like 'cyberbullying' and punishing people for making a funny website is fucking ridiculous.
So are you saying that bullying is acceptable and that kids should just toughen up, or just that online bullying is in some manner different?

Shaking Paper

HSC
If any sort of action would be unacceptable in a workplace, and would have you fired or fined, then it should be treated just as seriously when it happens to children in schools, without excuses.

ImVrySmrt

HSC
you are right, but say if you (like in most bullying cases) were to use racism, taunts, or other means of humiliastion, that is called vilification, and has serious legal ramification, esp. outside of school. And this is what happens, the subculture of bullying then extends beyond the playground and can for some be continueos and excessive leading in some case to suicide or serious harm physically and mentally. IT is a very serious issue, and is costing the society in lost productivity millions. FOr the same reason u get bonus UAI points for being bullied (longterm). It is disgusting and can ruin lives, it does so effectively because the victims inferiority is repeated over and over and subconsciously people pick up and learn that, in the end subsonsciously they beilieve it to be true, and all confidence is lost. In some cases comparable to rape victims and soilders suffering (PTSS) Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. They may not show outward signs of it, ot even tell anyone but thier hurting. If you belive your building character, then ask your self, did (s)he ever ask you to build his/her character, just leave him/her alone. this is not neccessarily a reply to 'I am sick of year 12', just an input to the discussion.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
So are you saying that bullying is acceptable and that kids should just toughen up, or just that online bullying is in some manner different?
Both.

I don't think physical beatings are acceptable... but anything else (name-calling and excluding people for example) is fine. It is what happens in the real world, kids need to get used to that.

Online bullying isn't as bad because it can easily be avoided by not going to a website... whereas if someone comes up to you and says shit about you there is nothing you can really do to avoid that.

Yomo

HSC
Both.

I don't think physical beatings are acceptable... but anything else (name-calling and excluding people for example) is fine. It is what happens in the real world, kids need to get used to that.

Online bullying isn't as bad because it can easily be avoided by not going to a website... whereas if someone comes up to you and says shit about you there is nothing you can really do to avoid that.

Just because it happens in the real world doesn't make it acceptable. Wouldn't the ultimate goal be to put a stop to it altogether? Obviously this is a practically impossible task, but turning a blind eye and telling kids to 'get used to it' isn't going to help it.

Also with online bullying not being as bad, it can spread rumours and defamatory messages a lot further than face to face bullying can, in the long run being more harmful.

I agree that not all of these sites should be shut down, because some of them are done in good humour, but the problem of truly offensive insults being posted online with the intention of hurting people psychologically can't just be brushed off.

E

Empyrean444

Both.

I think that the extent to which it occurs (as was said) is most significant. Remember a single instance of name calling does not actually qualify as 'bullying', which is repeated and long term. Getting called a name or two, or being insulted once in a while, does happen in the real world and is something that people need to get used to. Bullying, as a long term,, repeated exercise (undertaken by a group - remember harm can compound with strength in numbers) aimed at continual intimidation and destruction of inner strength, is of a much more serious manner, and is not at all acceptable. Psychological damage can be of a similar importance to physical damage and should be treated in the same way. I actually find the disregard of this sort of damage (when contrasted against that of physical) strange in this day of age. Morale is exceedingly important and destroying someone's morale in its totality or closeness thereof can be far worse than mere beatings.

The view that "its the net .'. its ok" is false. If the websites are of an actual 'serious' nature then (I think) it could incite further bullying in the real world. Furthermore, to say that one may avoid it (with regards to facebook for instance) is wrong, because, by bullying, that person is stripped of their freedom to access that site (now unfortunately so important in communicating) for the sake of not being harmed, which hardly seems fair.

sassystudy

HSC
I find it pathetic that children should imitate shows that are created for the sole purpose of entertainment. These aren't created to generate a society of destroyer-copycats. I just find it cruel that someone should start a 'burn book' or 'gossip girl' site. Everyone's self esteem varies and the real effects such imitations may have on individuals are unpredictable. Think before you act.

aussie-boy

HSC
Both.

You have clearly never been bullied

Bullying is one of the worst possible things that can happen to a person in their formative years. I started school as a really self confident and intelligent kid, but for some reason I was perceived as an easy target, and got constantly bullied at school, in my sports team and at my next school.

Its taken me until now (1st year uni), despite ~4 years of no bullying in HS when everyone grows up a bit, to realise that I have defined talents and strengths, and am not really the hopeless person who I was made out to be.

Nevertheless, I've become a shy person who struggles to enter conversations because of years of suppressing thoughts that came into my head when chatting (for fear of being ridiculed after saying them). So my potential social life has been much reduced.

I still finished school with good marks, got into a uni course, and have achieved various things. So an outside person would not be able to perceive long lasting damage, as is the case with the vast majority of bullying victims. But that doesn't mean it isn't there, and won't take a few more years to repair, and with a large opportunity cost.

Kids need to have their positive characteristic affirmed all the way through childhood. It is this affirmation that ensures that they will be able to withstand bullying when it is inevitable later in life.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)