d-link wep encryption - help!!! (1 Viewer)

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I have a DLINK DSL604+ Router and my neighbours have just got wireless. Trying to figure out how to specify a WEP key for it so it requires a password to join the network. ATM any laptop near by can get online and so forth. ANyone been able to decipher the dlink manual or know what to do?

aaron.mac

HSC
you should be able to allow your computers MAC (hardware) address onto the router, and keep the rest out. You can change the mac address thru the windows registry, however it is hard to sniff out the packet that would contain the allow list. WEP can be cracked, that is why it would be a good idea to use the MAC address block as well..

--Aaron.

isoadam

HSC
yea... only sometimes that works.... what you have to do is go into your router settings

ie. 192.168.0.1 // username: admin password: password, assuming that you haven't changed your password (if you have replace password with the pass u used)

then goto a security option and choose the relevent Security Encryption.

However,

I wouldn't Recommend WEP as it can be cracked in about 3 and a half seconds (have done it myself). Im using a D-Link DI-624 with WPA2 Encryption...

Hope This Helps,

:)

Cheers,

Adam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)