Daikatana & Omikron (1 Viewer)

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Does anyone have these games? Or at least played them?

I was just wondering...

I found them in one of our cupboards a couple of months back. My mum bought them, coz she likes those sort of games (weird, huh?), and I was just curious as to whether they were any good, or completely unknown...

Collin

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
Daikatana is widely held to be the biggest piece of shit in FPS history.
Nuff said.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
Omikron is pretty solid from memory, while Daikatana is widely held to be the biggest piece of shit in FPS history.
Hmm, does that mean that Omikron is good or bad?

From what I read on the backs of them, omikron seems ok, whereas what you said is true for Daikatana.

Oh well. Shall have a go at Omikron at least.

Thanks guys

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Daikatana was the bomb, what other game gave you idiot AI bots as backup with a storyline designed by some guy on LSD about several timeframs with the only thing in common of all the weapons being a friggen sword :)
Don't forget the guy who helped make Doom, Doom 2 and Quake made Daikatana, John Romero will make you his bitch. Haha oh man that brings back memories.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/june03/dumbestmoments/index20.shtml
There's even an analysis with what went right in the whole game design process (he spent a heap of money on junk and basically his staff were kids/mod makers/level designers and he had no idea of management).

HSC
How could anyone forget John Romero :) He was really cool for a while.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,817/
Games Credited
Doom 64 (1997), Midway Games
Final Doom (1996), Atari, Inc.
Quake (1996), id Software, Inc.
Hexen: Beyond Heretic (1995), id Software, Inc.
The Ultimate Doom (1995), GT Interactive Software Corp.
DOOM II: Hell on Earth (1994), Virgin Interactive Entertainment (Europe) Ltd.
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (1994), id Software, Inc.
Doom (1993), id Software, Inc.
Spear of Destiny (1992), FormGen, Inc.
Wolfenstein 3D (1992), Apogee Software, Ltd.
Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle (1991), Apogee Software, Ltd.
Commander Keen 5: The Armageddon Machine (1991), Apogee Software, Ltd.
Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter! (1991), FormGen, Inc.
Keen Dreams (1991), Softdisk Publishing
Commander Keen 1: Marooned on Mars (1990), Apogee Software, Ltd.
Commander Keen 2: The Earth Explodes (1990), Apogee Software, Ltd.
Commander Keen 3: Keen Must Die! (1990), Apogee Software, Ltd.
Zork Zero: The Revenge of Megaboz (1989), Infocom
Then BAM, Daikatana. For me, that all but overshadows the cool things he worked on, because it was such an incredibly overhyped flop.

Collin

HSC
N/A
But I thought Daikatana was an awesome game... ..

*crickets*

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Fun...

I will try them both, and make my mind up from there.

Damn exams... wish they'd hurry up and go away, so I can play games...

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'd seriously keep away from Daikatana. It might reduce the overall quality standard you'd expect from titles in the FPS genre. Hey, but that's good since then F.E.A.R will kick butt even more when you play it. I wouldn't buy Daikatana though (doubt most places would still have that piece of shit).. downloading this abomination seems more appropriate omgz0r

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
I'd seriously keep away from Daikatana. It might reduce the overall quality standard you'd expect from titles in the FPS genre. Hey, but that's good since then F.E.A.R will kick butt even more when you play it. I wouldn't buy Daikatana though (doubt most places would still have that piece of shit).. downloading this abomination seems more appropriate omgz0r
Umm, yerr. I already have the game. I think my mum got given if for free. She never played it.

ogmzergrush said:
Last time I saw Daikatana in stores was the EB sales bin for $1 (Which I didn't buy, haha). It's a bit tragic when a full retail game gives you no reason to buy it, especially for a price that low.
:D Heaps funny

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
Iv'e been looking for a copy of Omikron for some time, I think I might have to try EBAY. I remember playing the demo and falling in love with it after I go to see a see a sex scene 5 minutes in.

Burn the other one.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
ur mum buys u obscure japanese games? and ur mum plays em?...

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Spikeru said:
Iv'e been looking for a copy of Omikron for some time, I think I might have to try EBAY. I remember playing the demo and falling in love with it after I go to see a see a sex scene 5 minutes in.

Burn the other one.
Sex scene? How interesting... mixed reviews for Daikatana...

Enoch said:
ur mum buys u obscure japanese games? and ur mum plays em?...
Yerp, well she used to. She was also into the Dooms, Hexen (I think thats what its called), and wolfenstein back in the day, and all sorts of first person shooters. She's heaps cool. My mum is who got me interested in those kinds of games. I played those too, when she taught me...

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Spikeru said:
I've just been on ebay, just looking around, and came across one copy of Omikron, which was $9. I didn't check for any others tho...

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
pinkelephant said:
I've just been on ebay, just looking around, and came across one copy of Omikron, which was $9. I didn't check for any others tho...
Cheers, but I have already bid on it. Before I buy an 'old' game I spend a couple of months trying to find a Freeware or Warez version of it. Failing that I buy it. Starlancer is also on my list at teh moment, as is Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Anyone ever played it?

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
I started Omikron last night. Its alright. I love the combat mode!

The adventure stuff is a bit slow, I hate how you have to walk everywhere, and can only run in straight lines. I prefer everything to be fast.

The shooting mode is gonna need some getting used to, my view is way too sensitive, and I can't work out how to change it.

For anyone else who's played this, how freakin weird are the music scenes? Shit they are so random!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)