DAILY TELEGRAPH - Top 200 schools (1 Viewer)

gorgo31

HSC
The SMH puts us in a higher position, but regardless, we're the No. 1 non-selective Government school. I think Maralyn Parker makes a highly valid point, especially considering some of the schools we outperformed.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
44th! cop that....CRANEBROOK!

glitterfairy said:
\
Country Selectives such as Gosford High and Smith's Hill High in Newcastle are closing in on city selectives.
AHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA AHAHAHA HAHA ahaha SMITHS HILL IN NEWCASTLE!!!! dumbass reporters, we are in Wollongong

looks like we kicked the shit out of every school in the Illawarra again
badluck wollongong, not in the top100 anymore, down to 150something

edit:damn u beat me 2 it

Last edited:

Danoz The Great

HSC
My school's 87th!

edit: We were actually 178th last year.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
wwjd_frog14 said:
yay number 68!!! go my skool!

oh n Glitterfairy, in ur comments u quoted that Smiths Hill HS is in Newcastle...its actually in Wollongong :)
Sorry sweetie but this is the reporter's fault, not mine - I've taken it word for word out of the paper. But I will make a correction in my original thread :)

nedzelic

HSC
well done to smith's hill; representing the illawarra!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
wwjd_frog14 said:
yay number 68!!! go my skool!

oh n Glitterfairy, in ur comments u quoted that Smiths Hill HS is in Newcastle...its actually in Wollongong :)
you live in wollongong? go to TIGS? work for cookieman? shit u prolly know a stack of people i know

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Is there a bigger list floating around somewhere? Last year I'm sure I saw a top 1000, or at least 500. Its just that my school came in the 460s last year (I think), with 4 band 6s out of fifty-something students. This year there were 63 of us, and two band 6s! So I don't think our position will be improving, somehow. Me and my no-band-sixes didn't help. Anyway, I want to find out where we came. I know I saw us on a list last year...

HSC
N/A
starbaaa said:
Is there a bigger list floating around somewhere? Last year I'm sure I saw a top 1000, or at least 500. Its just that my school came in the 460s last year (I think), with 4 band 6s out of fifty-something students. This year there were 63 of us, and two band 6s! So I don't think our position will be improving, somehow. Me and my no-band-sixes didn't help. Anyway, I want to find out where we came. I know I saw us on a list last year...
I'm sure there's *A* list somewhere that lists every school, or at least the really big numbers. It's just not in the SMH or Daily Telegraph - those are the main ones. You'll probably have better luck in a few days/weeks when they've had more time to plaster results everywhere :)

helper

HSC
N/A
There is no official list, all that the newspapers do is make up a list based on Band 6's. The list does not take into account capability of students, or spreading of results. It is a very simplistic analysis because of the lack of information produced because of the disgraceful reporting of the Telegraph in the past. "The Form that Failed"

chronical176

Suicidal companion
HSC
sweet!!!!
go our school at a ranking of 193, considering that we were ranked 508 in 2004

HSC
N/A
helper said:
There is no official list, all that the newspapers do is make up a list based on Band 6's. The list does not take into account capability of students, or spreading of results. It is a very simplistic analysis because of the lack of information produced because of the disgraceful reporting of the Telegraph in the past. "The Form that Failed"
^That's actually quite true. *acknowledges*

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Among the selective schools there are a few rising stars. Hornsby Girls has jumped from sixth in 2003 (glitternote: we were 4th in 2004) to second place this year. If ever a school might give James Ruse a nudge for top position it will be Hornsby Girls.

For my own 2 cents, I'm not really sure ANYONE could ever nudge James Ruse off their top spot. Yes, HGHS is now second (a FANTASTIC achievement), but we are still a good bit behind, as statistics will show (when I get around to typing them up).
Now i might sound really Baulko-biased, but i think this whole untouchable aura on Ruse is not going to last. My main reasoning for this would be the fact that the class of '08/'09, for this year Baulko was the hardest school to get into, from my recollection 1000odd people put Baulko as their first choice, with 180 eventually getting in. I may be sprouting on about Baulko a lot, but i do believe that it will give Ruse a really good run for its money in future years time.

Also not diminishing how Hornsby went, where's Baulko's credit? We have never ever been this high either!

HSC
N/A
^ that's because a Hornsby Girl (well, ex-hornsby girl) wrote this thread ;)

I think both Hornsby and Baulko have a lot of school pride, as they have BOTH been climbing the ranks together over the last few years. I wrote this in another thread, but I'll write out a similar version:

"Sometimes I wonder whether Hornsby's success is due to a desire to succeed, or this: "OMG! Hornsby Pride! We CAN'T let Baulko beat us!"

So here it is, for all the Baulko students reading this:

I know it hasn't been mentioned as much as Hornsby in this thread, but you guys have done AWESOMELY well this year. Not only are you STILL giving Hornsby a run for it's money (ah, the unmentioned competition... haha!), but you have "beaten" Sydney, North Sydney and Fort St this year. You've ALSO beaten Hornsby on the English Merit list this year, according to SMH (I have no reason to disbelieve this, it's just that I haven't read any subject-specific lists anywhere else yet)

Congratulations guys, these are wonderful achievements, and you should all be very proud of yourselves!

---

In regards to James Ruse, I'm not sure... I'm certainly hanging around for the day when a school (any school) knocks James Ruse off the top spot, but James Ruse has just been there for so long... I imagine they have great teachers, as well as a VERY strong drive for HSC success (to use an example, HGHS still uses the "just do your best" motto a lot of the time, rather than "Do THIS subject, because you'll get a better mark in the HSC" motto). I wasn't previously aware that a non-James Ruse (ie Baulko) had higher entry competition, but I think in the minds of a lot of people, James Ruse is still the top school in the state and will be for a long time... a lot of the really smart Yr 6's are still going to put James Ruse at the top of their selective school list for years to come.

But you never know, I guess. But for now... James Ruse is still a good 15% or so ahead of everyone else. Let's see what future statistics say! :)

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I think we should congratulate glitterfairy for her effort in typing all this up for us =)

HSC
N/A
michaelirish said:
Are you able to get the list for Maths and English separate?
I think there's a copy in the SMH, on the first page of their honour roll. But after I finish typing out this thing, there will still need to be a LOT of bribery involved before I type out the english/maths listings, even though they are considerably shorter than this list. :)

glitterfairy's neck and shoulders and arms and fingers are tired! :(

Wingy - ta ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)