data mining (1 Viewer)

crammy90

HSC
is any system that datamines considered to be a DSS as it is getting information to aid in decisions?

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
No, data mining can be used to find trends in data. I did TPS as an option, you probably haven't.

EG Through data mining of a retail store, it has found that beanies are often sold with scarves at the start of the footy season. This gives managers the opportunity to put these two types of items on sale, and effectively boost sales.

I can understand why you'd think it's a DSS, but I don't they can cross over? If they do, you just call it by what it's main function is.

It just seems silly to call every system that does data mining a DSS. I believe a question like that wouldn't be asked, anyway.

SamD

HSC
N/A
Data mining is a type of Decision Support System. In terms of Transaction Processing Systems, data mining often accesses data that was originally collected by a transaction processing system. Commonly the transaction data is restructured/copied to create a data warehouse which is then used for datamining (and other processes). Data mining systems are definitely NOT transaction processing systems.

HTH
Sam

mijoe

HSC
Data mining is also where you sift through data to find any patterns that occur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)