• Pure Genius

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • WhoTF is David Lynch?

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Somewhere in between. He likes to make films on a mind-fuck level rather than an entertainment level; that doesn't make him a genius, but it doesn't mean that he's a pompous arsehole either. Just don't expect to understand his films.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Expansive metaphor is fine as long as there's purpose and control to convey some sort of message or meaning.

I need not say more.

artfag

Banned
HSC
depends on the film
i love eraserhead, elephant man, blue velvet, straight story & twin peaks, but thought that lost highway and mulholland dr. were way too pretentious. i wouldn't call him a genius OR an asshole though

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Oh alright. Fair comment.

I voted genius last night, but I see what you guys are saying and Im just remembering now that I didnt like a few of his films - I thought the Elephant Man was boring and Dune was a mess.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Dune sucked shit- i didnt know at the time it was one of his films, but yeah that movie was terrible

however his other films that i have seen i can definately understand he likes to take a "mind fuck" approach to an idea or concept...

sure is entertaining though trying to make sense of it all at times

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
love some stuff, hate others. twin peaks, mulholland dr and elephant man i loved. eraserhead, lost highway i didn't. blue velvet was ok

i voted genius though, simply for mulholland dr

Last edited:

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
Dune and Wild at Heart are rubbish.
Eraserhead, Twin Peaks (the series and the movie), Blue Velvet rule.
All his other films are visually well developed.

I don't think he's pretentious, he just makes films for their visual/aesthetic value. People imbue pretentions into his work with their ridiculous interpretations.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I've only seen Mulholland Drive, and to be honest it somewhat irritated me. I don't watch movies just to solve elaborate puzzles.

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
You guys know that he didnt direct Twin Peaks? Nearly every episode had a different director.

He just wrote it.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
Lynch is alright. Mulholland Dr. isn't that great but it's good. Naomi Watts pisses me off. His other films are enjoyable.

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
Grobus said:
You guys know that he didnt direct Twin Peaks? Nearly every episode had a different director.

He just wrote it.
Yes I am well aware.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Grobus said:

He just wrote it.
joss whedon only directed a small percentage of buffy and angel eps, but they are both generally credited as being his works. tv shows obviously work differently from movies. it is the executive producer, not the director nor the writer, who has ultimate creative control

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i voted pompous asshole because generally i see him as a big wankjob. i can appreciate some of his stuff but on the whole i come down on the side of wanker.

walrusbear

HSC
Estel said:
Expansive metaphor is fine as long as there's purpose and control to convey some sort of message or meaning.

I need not say more.
EDIT: (i removed a horrible, wanky post)
i quite enjoy david lynch
particularly blue velvet and mulholland drive
eraserhead is affecting too
'genius' for me

Last edited:

DudeLEB0WSKI24

HSC
I voted genius.

He's definately not pompous. Just go to you-tube and listen to him talk for about five minutes. He's genuine, honest and humble.

He executive produced Twin Peaks (directed the movie) Which means him (and Mark Frost) had total creative control. Apparently he was on set most of the time, and the "directors" became third wheels.

I didnt really like Lost Highway. But I think that Blue velvet and Mulholland Drive are amazing flicks.

Aghh I wish Season 2 of twin peaks would come out.

can't wait for inland empire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)