dealing with group work assignments (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
so i have an upcoming group assignment and its a group task with up to 4 ppl, the thing is that i have the shittest ppl in my group and don't want them to put shit into the assignment coz they are below mystery mark standard, so what should i do? do it all?

its 20%

IcyRain

HSC
What subject is it?
If you feel uncomfortable with their work ethic it would be best to take full control. #storyofmylife

astroman

HSC
as if a teacher would assign a 20% weighted assessment to freaking group work. That's retarded.

people are generally lazy. try to play it like a "sigh i guess i'll take one for the team" type thing
it was previously individual for the past few years but it was group this time coz the teacher is too lazy to mark 30 things

rawrliongirl

HSC
I detest group work, especially when the teacher puts you with THOSE types of people.
Usually in that case, I try and give most of the ideas myself, and if possible, do as much of the work myself. I'd leave easy things to them that don't matter so much.
We always had Modern History group work for year 11 and the teacher always put us into groups so I was always put with losers. We'd assign each other work to do, but I'd still do most of it if I could, as in research and the hand out (they were usually class presentations). They would do the powerpoint usually, and no offence to them, but it usually turned out pretty lame, I may as well have done the whole thing. At least I know how to make a decent slide show.
So don't worry I feel ya.
Lazy teachers....I hate them...

photastic

HSC
so i have an upcoming group assignment and its a group task with up to 4 ppl, the thing is that i have the shittest ppl in my group and don't want them to put shit into the assignment coz they are below mystery mark standard, so what should i do? do it all?

its 20%
Complain, you might end up doing it by yourself then :p

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

its 20%
Do it all better for you ATAR then risk it..

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

its 20%
1) Ask them to do their parts or at least attempt it, then ask them to send you their parts but don't use any of it. This allows you to make them waste time seeing as you're going to be doing those parts anyway

2) While that's happening you work on the whole assignment (don't worry this will most likely be the last time you will have to carry people in group work)

3) Get 100%

zhertec

HSC
Wow group assignments for HSC....in my school that's like taboo..lol. Cause now basically, a small part of your HSC is dependent on others, which is fked up as it is suppose to represent solely your intellect/organisational skills whatever.
If they are as really "drop kick" as you make them sound, pretty much, start early, finish everything before hand, tell them to do something (which you intuitively know they won't). Complain to the teacher about how your group has done literally nothing the whole duration of the time given to complete the assignment. Then the teacher HAS to give them zero, while you are awarded whatever your assignment deserves (maybe even with slight leniency due to the lack of having a group). Win-win situation, except for the more work part...yea that sucks....

trungduong12

HSC
I was in a group of 7
For an eco assignment
I did all the work
I asked them to do something , which they did, but it was all shiet, so i still had to do the whole thing myself

Just dont worry abt them
Do it all urself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiction

HSC
This is why you drop the subject that forces you to do group work ;)

In all seriousness, if you don't want some crappy marks, you're mostly likely going to have to do the whole assignment. This isn't junior school where you can afford to give no two craps about assessments.

I guess you could always imply that you have to carry your group to the teacher, but I wouldn't recommend this because of the nature of the assignment. Group assessments imply working as a group and some teachers may subtract marks (look in your marking criteria?). Since you know the level of work your fellow classmates are going to display, perhaps you could allocate ~simpler~/easier tasks to your group members? Basically, break down or chunk the workload for them. That way at least they're doing something and although you may end up doing 90% of the work, you're not doing 100%? Think of them as the primary sector and you're the tertiary sector in an economy employment thing.

On the bright side, group works (at least in my school) aren't that hard. Usually it's just research rather than actually using your brain.

Either way, good luck! :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
This is why you drop the subject that forces you to do group work ;)

In all seriousness, if you don't want some crappy marks, you're mostly likely going to have to do the whole assignment. This isn't junior school where you can afford to give no two craps about assessments.

I guess you could always imply that you have to carry your group to the teacher, but I wouldn't recommend this because of the nature of the assignment. Group assessments imply working as a group and some teachers may subtract marks (look in your marking criteria?). Since you know the level of work your fellow classmates are going to display, perhaps you could allocate ~simpler~/easier tasks to your group members? Basically, break down or chunk the workload for them. That way at least they're doing something and although you may end up doing 90% of the work, you're not doing 100%? Think of them as the primary sector and you're the tertiary sector in an economy employment thing.

On the bright side, group works (at least in my school) aren't that hard. Usually it's just research rather than actually using your brain.

Either way, good luck! :)
Group work in younger years just meant that I had to do work rather then just handing in random crap to be marked as I didn't want to let people down...

photastic

HSC
Group work in younger years just meant that I had to do work rather then just handing in random crap to be marked as I didn't want to let people down...
Too bad the good die first and how "all these moments will be lost like tears in the rain" :p

Fiction

HSC
his isn't junior school where you can afford to give no two craps about assessments.
I'm sure most people did have your mentality, but my point is that they (junior school) don't need those marks, whereas now in the HSC year, astroman does.

QZP

HSC
Yeah man english is just history and memory now... move on

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
when I die I want everyone I've done group assessments with to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time
Bro that's a strong post you have there.

Reactions: x1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)