Dealing With International Students (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
has anyone come across any cultural or language barriers?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Not really, I met this guy who is an International student, but his English was actually pretty good, so there wasn't any trouble there.

Left-ism

HSC
not really....just leave the international students alone- just cos theyre really rich and annoyingly unsocial

Winston

HSC
It's rough on group work... No kidding... more time is spent on trying to make out what they're saying.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Originally posted by Left-ism
not really....just leave the international students alone- just cos theyre really rich and annoyingly unsocial
I tried making friends with an international student who spoke english fairly well. She acted like such a snob to me. Jeez... just trying to show some good ol' Australian mateship. So now I just leave them alone.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha there's some french dude, hard to decode what he's saying but who cares, he is SOO hot. the accent isn't too shabby either.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
the ones in our course kinda keep to themselves, like they've formed their own little group, and yeah they do act snobbish. plus they are all kinda older than me so it gives me little incentive to befriend them.
One norwegian lady always asks questions, like in every single lecture, and its hard to understand what she is saying, but the lecturers dont seem to mind.

Winston

HSC
Yeah it's weird, you've got a bunch of people who know each other already, and you got a bunch who's in second year or third year, it's mixed up.

MyLuv

Oh..i see.thats why it s so hard for international stu to make new friend but i've got a few tho,the only problem is sometime they dont know wat i m talking about :)0

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
It's rough on group work... No kidding... more time is spent on trying to make out what they're saying.
Mate, this International student helped me finish off most of my Physics assignment, or else it would of never been completed. :p

Good old International students.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Mate, this International student helped me finish off most of my Physics assignment, or else it would of never been completed. :p

Good old International students.
Mate not if, you have to work together and then submit individual parts of it urself.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
None at all - in fact there are a quite a few International students enrolled at Gipps. - some keep to themselves, others don't. I guess that's partly due to a lot of the activities held during o-week specifically for International students only . I have 2 International students (South African-->1st yr & Asian-->2nd yr) in the same 'house' as me - no probs have arisen, both very nice, easy to understand, South African is very outgoing too.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Mate not if, you have to work together and then submit individual parts of it urself.
Mate, we handed it in as a group of three (which is encouraged obviously by the cover sheets), the third guy did absolutely nothing though.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
theres a dude that sits at my table for my psych tutes, not sure where he is from, but i can barely understand him (not helped by the fact he talks really quietly and mumbles)

santaslayer

HSC
but yea, i have no probs with international students, esp the honkies...coz im honkie too and i can speak canto.....i was in aus when i was 2 yrs old but was forced to study canto for 12 years, so yea, no problems with communication!
but yea, i try to speak to them in english coz i know sum people hate it when u speak fobby, esp when its loud, but they dun seem to understand the lanuage too well, so meh....

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
I tried making friends with an international student who spoke english fairly well. She acted like such a snob to me. Jeez... just trying to show some good ol' Australian mateship. So now I just leave them alone.
lolz... i reckon tis the cultural barrier... dunno.. u neva noe =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)