Debate: Medical Sci degree---> Medicine (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
Does this favouritism apply only for med or others fields such as dentistry/pharmacy?
Officially, 'favouritism' or preference does not exist except where indicated above.

I don't know about pharmacy though.

frostysnow

HSC
katie tully said:
Your careers advisor is a clown because there are plenty of electives in MedSc, and secondly it doesn't give you any more of an opportunity to get into Med than an Arts degree.
ok maybe i phrased it wrong. What i mean is don't be restricted into a med science degree, believing it'll be similar to med. A science degree can give you the same electives as med science as well as a range of other options.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
dp624 said:
isn't this like a 'forced' degree like usyd med? like automatic entry after you finish your first course or something
For a few high achieving students who recieve a guaranteed offer it will be like usyds combined direct-entry program, but Umelb has stricter academic requirements though and I presume they will have an interview simillar to that of usyd's combined program to see if you can communicate/have english competency. See below.

But most places will be for graduate students who will still have to go through the grueling Gamsat exam and Multi-mini interview.

"Guaranteed entry
School leavers enrolling in the Bachelor of Biomedicine or Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne will be guaranteed a place in the Doctor of Medicine as follows:
  • A Commonwealth Supported Place is guaranteed for students with an ENTER of 99.90 or higher
  • An Australian or international full fee place is guaranteed for students with an ENTER of 99.0 or higher
These guaranteed places are subject to:
  • An achieved average grade of H2A (75%). The H2A will count as satisfying the GPA requirement for entry
  • Meeting the subject prerequisite requirements
  • Students will also be required to satisfactorily complete the interview to ensure their communication skills are adequate for competent health practice
  • Places being available (clinical placement capacity is the limiting factor)
Students using the guaranteed place pathway will not be required to complete GAMSAT or MCAT."

Last edited:

Jonnyawesome

HSC
dp624 said:
Hey did you attend chem scholar school at any stage? marwick?

onto question:
I don't tihnk doing any particular course would really help or detract from your chances of med. if it were me, i'd do sometihng I like, so i could get high marks throughout the year.
Yeah, I was in the 2007 Chem scholar school and 2008 Bio Scholar school. You're David Pham right?

Well thanks everyone for discussing your information and opinions about graduate medicine, it really helped.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
katie tully said:
I think Chemical Engineering would be an excellent precursor to medicine, to be honest. I assume the degree takes a fair bit of analytical and problem solving skills - skills that I think are more beneficial to medicine than being able to memorise every function of the body without being able to apply it.
i think its a pity that more Grad med applicants werent lik bomb disposal experts.. then i know my doctor would have skills to work under pressure :) i would feel safer..

health and the economy: judging by the shares in sonic healthcare i would say that they are still making money.. in med.. most ppl arent really losing as much money cf banking.. cos ppl pay for almost anything to prevent sickness/death...its pretty certain.. the last recession...most doctors made it out good..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)