Debunking myths of elite learning (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Phanatical said:
I'm a music student, technically I don't Have a brain.
no i think you are intelligent, just uneducated (in subjects you argue in) not to mention rude and arrogant

Captain Crunch

HSC
clairegirl said:
no i think you are intelligent, just uneducated (in subjects you argue in) not to mention rude and arrogant
rude and arrogant can also mean confident and commanding.

and everything phantical said is right.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Captain Crunch said:
rude and arrogant can also mean confident and commanding.

and everything phantical said is right.
There will always be people that follow pauline hanson types

lol out of curiousity is this phanatical just with a new nick? ur low post count and ur new member status make it sus........ i saw ur other post "i tried out for school captain and they didn't vote for me, not fair"

u sound strangely like phanatical

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Have you seen his posts? He wants to marry this girl who doesn't like him. He fell in love with his cousin. He believes that the moon landings were a hoax. Hell, at least he stated reasons for why the moon landings were a hoax - you haven't even managed that.

I am not a Pauline Hanson type. What I am is somebody who sees the facts, without looking at the Politically Correct Bullshit of the feminazi. For a Psych student, your attempts to argue the point have been pretty pathetic. You haven't provided a single coherant argument in favour of your point of view, instead relying on the tried-and-true method of insulting me to push your argument.

j_davo24

HSC
That's such a stupid way to win an argument. You need evidence, not just saying, "you suck, you're dumb"

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Phanatical said:
The SCUM Manifesto, and many other such evil texts, is required reading in most women's studies courses - including (I may be mistaken) those at the University of Sydney.

Well i'm sure people studying WWII read Nazi policies, but that doesnt mean that they believe or support the ideas. You have to read the history to understand the movement. Do you really think that eveyone who does womens studies believes that stuff?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Not only that, but there is so much evidence to show that the SCUM Manifesto, the Female Eunuch and other such texts ARE being seen in a positive light within many women's studies faculties. If they were being viewed in a completely impartial, and unbiased manner, explaining that this is how women thought at the time of their publication, then Clairegirl's argument would hold water. However, the writings of many current women's studies lecturers, tutors, students, our Women's Officer at the USYD SRC - they All show an ideological Support for the writings in these documents. There is also a plethora of evidence illustrating how male students have been penalised academically for not toeing the feminazi line in relation to such documents.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yes they are, thats what i'm saying, you cant study naziism without reading their policies, like u cant study feminism without understanding the original policies. Its not different at all.

And phanatical... suddenly halfway through the argument you distinguish between feminists and feminazis? you never mentioned this distinction before, sudden change of tune... Seriously man, you need to find something better to do with your time then spend all saturday night arguing online with some random stranger. Get a job or something, seriously.
And again with the "asians are disadvantaged" thing. Where i live is more than 50% asian, they have nice houses, nice cars, and respectable jobs, most of them have better houses, cars, etc than me, and my mum is a doctor, so we're hardly poor. The selective schools are filled with asians, the universities are filled with asians (i'd say about 40% of my course is asian). The number of people from asian descent in Australia is increasing, because Asian immigrants have only been allowed in since the end of the White Australia Policy. Asians will soon no longer be a minority, and in another generation or so, most of the asian kids (like u i assume) will be as "australian" as they are asian, and will have no reason to whinge about being discriminated against.

I have no problem at all with asians, but i do have a problem with working in groups with people at uni who dont speak english well, as it makes it more difficult for all of us. In my course, most of the chinese students stick together in a little group, speaking chinese to each other, and only speaking english when they have to. At our prac days, we all sit down together for lunch, like everyone from all backgrounds, and the chinese ppl choose to go and sit off in their own little group. In many situations, people bring discrimination on themselves by not actively participating, or trying to fit in.

And dont give me the "you are racist" schpeel, my best friend is korean, and speaks korean at home, goes to korean church etc. In fact in my high school group i was the only one from an english / european background.

In my course, some of the places we do work experience at specifically request that students do not attend if they dont have a good grasp on english. If you are going to study / work in Australia, you need to speak english, and if you cant, you at least need to try and learn it, speaking it at every opportunity, rather than huddling in a group of other non english speakers, speaking your own language, what use is that?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Feminism = Defending Womens' Rights. Since Women's Rights = Human Rights, to defend Women's Rights is to defend Men's Rights. Problem is that this form of feminism is hardly practiced anymore.

Feminazi = Most "feminists". They hate men.

I agree with you that the asian community is doing extremely well in society. But so are the women in our society. So if the Women need a representative to defend their rights, what makes the Asian community any less deserving? Because it IS true that the glass ceiling is lower for an Asian male (especially an immigrant), than it is for a white woman.

My argument is not that women are a disadvantaged group, but Asians are More disadvantaged - but that Women and Men both face disadvantages in society, and quite frankly Women have it pretty damn good nowadays. Ethnic groups Also face disadvantages in society - this means that if they're going to use their "disadvantaged" argument to justify a women's officer without a Men's officer, then they must also justify why ethnic groups shouldn't have officers representing them.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Mambomeg said:
Seriously man, you need to find something better to do with your time then spend all saturday night arguing online with some random stranger.
It doesn't take me that long to write up a conclusive argument. I'm also finishing my final assignment for uni at the same time.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
you are arguing as though women are a minority group, we are not, and we do not dererve to be treated like one. Women and asians are two entirely separate groups, and cannot be compared, as they have completely separate issues. Half of the world is female, everyone is either female or male, not everyone is asian.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm Not speaking as if women are a minority group. I'm referring to the fact that women consider themselves a disadvantaged group, just as asians consider themselves a disadvantaged group also.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Just a few points.

At the University of Sydney, you do a major called Gender Studies, not Women's Studies.

The major contains such units as 'Cultures of Masculinities' which focuses almost entirely on the male and his representation in society, and is taught by a male.

Please stop being ignorant and mis-informed.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You'll notice that the overwhelming majority of the subjects in this particular Major study are still focused on women, with the exception of WMST2009. Considering that WMST2009 is only 8cp out of the 64cp required for a major in Gender Studies, it suggests to me the bias remains. I'd also like to know exactly how many male candidates there are in this particular Major study. I am not ignorant, nor mis-informed. My issue has been with the SRC and the Union, though my criticisms certainly extend beyond that to the university itself, and into society, and the fact that I've been the only one to back up my arguments in this entire debate suggests that it is those who have levelled insults and mindless criticisms of my thoughts, who are the ignorant and misinformed ones.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
My argument is not that women are a disadvantaged group, but Asians are More disadvantaged - but that Women and Men both face disadvantages in society, and quite frankly Women have it pretty damn good nowadays. Ethnic groups Also face disadvantages in society - this means that if they're going to use their "disadvantaged" argument to justify a women's officer without a Men's officer, then they must also justify why ethnic groups shouldn't have officers representing them.
At my uni we have an International Students officer representative. Do they have that at USYD?

And whilst you may think that women have it pretty damn good nowadays, you'll still find that in high positions of power there is a stronger male presence. You can't deny that especially in the corporate world.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Of course I can't deny that. But that's changing, considering that the "stronger male presence" is from a period where women Were disadvantaged. They are quickly being replaced by both men and women who have grown up with equal opportunities in education. What many feminists have proposed is that 50% of high power positions are filled up immediately by these younger women, even though there are men of the same age with the same qualifications and same commitment who are also eligible for the position. Again, the "Punish the Son for the Sins of the Father" mentality.

At USYD there is an excellent International Students Office. At the SRC and the Union, not so much so. But I'm not an International Student. I'm born Australian, in Ryde Hospital to be exact - but I am of Asian heritage. Most of the ethnic groups on campus (personified by the leaders of the various ethnic societies) are critical of the treatment our SRC and Union offer to Ethnic students - the Ethnic Officer is Always from the same ethnicity, and Always because that ethnic group backs the dominant political faction on campus.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Seriously clairegirl if this was a proper debate you would have been snapped.
Because i think its a waste of time arguing, it's H-O-L-I-D-A-Y-S plus Mambomeg is doing a great job that i can't be bothered doing!! :D GO MAMBOMEG!!.. hehehe....

and your such a hyprocrit... you say i need evidentiary support when you don't provide any either ... JEEZ!! It just shits me because Phanaticals "references" are not relevant or barely supportive to his argument at all, the references he uses, he takes them at face value... uni is about learning to critically evaluate all sorts of texts, i've done a lot of arts + commerce type subjects and all of the arts subjects are designed for you to synthesise all the information (on a particular subject) and eventually lead to your own theories/thesis... not to just acccept all ideologies and regurgitate the information like the HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)