Decarbonating Soda (1 Viewer)

umirinjpeg

HSC
As i have done the experiment , where i pour salt in the mineral water and CO2 is released, i was wondering what would happen if i boil the drink and add salt? Also , what if the temperature was lowered to 10 degrees?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
A bit unclear but here it goes, when temperature increases the solubility of the gas in solution decreases, so with that in mind. For the first part of the question the boiling just makes the gas less soluble and the salt further removes the CO2 in solution. Second part of the question when you decrease the temperature, you are increasing the gas solubility in solution.
Hope that helps

Just to add, it refers to Le Chatelier's Principle, temperature change and the change in pH

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
As said above, the reaction is exothermic
So increasing the temperature will shift the reaction to the left making the CO2 less soluble
While decreasing the temperature will make it shift to the right thus it will become less soluble and the soda will stay 'fizzy' for longer

nyeemad

HSC
N/A
thanks, btw why does salt make the co2 release faster??

nightweaver066

HSC
thanks, btw why does salt make the co2 release faster??
Carbon dioxide dissolves in the water and is only held by weak dispersion forces. The addition of an ionic compound such as salt will disturb the bonds between water and carbon dioxide as it dissociates in to its ions, where they interact with water through iondipole forces which are much stronger than dispersion forces causing carbon dioxide to be released (essentially taking water away from carbon dioxide)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)