decent uni part time jobs (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
I work at bunnings it's actually really good and pay is great

donkily

HSC
N/A
And is being a self employed photographer a bad job? I hear that it's "easy" and "simple" however you do compete with many photographers out there

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, the highest paying and easiest part-time casual jobs at uni seem to come from good academics.

Research assistant at uni (I got mine in 2nd year for finance) - very high rate of pay (compared to available pool of part-time roles) and I had the best lecturer who gave me all the flexibility in the world (work from home etc. etc. and not do anything 1 whole week before exams). Obviously ultimate is university tutoring $110/hour but you won't be getting that unless you're in double degree or honours (which I was and was offered tutoring role at uni) and obviously need to destroy your subjects.

Currently in my med degree, I have followed exactly what I did in my previous incompleted degree (comm/law) and did well enough in 1st year to land an anatomy tutoring role - again, compared to every other available job (especially med students who have their timetables changing every week), it offers excellent pay (and its fun?).

Note in 1st year I worked as an office admin for a small company for a rate of 18/hour - so don't except 45/hour from day 1 at uni. So to start out, that is probably the best way to go (reception etc etc - it really helps build your soft skills if you need to).

After that once you're in 2nd/3rd year depending on your degree plenty of other opportunities open up (often related to your degree e.g. many of my friends worked at banks part-time which takes quite a lot of students for fairly decent casual rate.

Last edited:

donkily

HSC
N/A
I work at bunnings it's actually really good and pay is great
do hs students work there
In my opinion, the highest paying and easiest part-time casual jobs at uni seem to come from good academics.

Research assistant at uni (I got mine in 2nd year for finance) - very high rate of pay (compared to available pool of part-time roles) and I had the best lecturer who gave me all the flexibility in the world (work from home etc. etc. and not do anything 1 whole week before exams). Obviously ultimate is university tutoring $110/hour but you won't be getting that unless you're in double degree or honours (which I was and was offered tutoring role at uni) and obviously need to destroy your subjects.

Currently in my med degree, I have followed exactly what I did in my previous incompleted degree (comm/law) and did well enough in 1st year to land an anatomy tutoring role - again, compared to every other available job (especially med students who have their timetables changing every week), it offers excellent pay (and its fun?).

Note in 1st year I worked as an office admin for a small company for a rate of 18/hour - so don't except 45/hour from day 1 at uni. So to start out, that is probably the best way to go (reception etc etc - it really helps build your soft skills if you need to).

After that once you're in 2nd/3rd year depending on your degree plenty of other opportunities open up (often related to your degree e.g. many of my friends worked at banks part-time which takes quite a lot of students for fairly decent casual rate.
oh shieet sounds great

how competitive are positions for these jobs compared to part time jobs in first yr uni

Last edited:

donkily

HSC
N/A
also is it normal to work 2 or more part time jobs while juggling full time uni and societies/volunteering

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Companies don't care if you worked 15 hours at kfc and 15 at mcdonalds a week while studying.
there care a bit they would rather you work even if its a 'shit' job than to have a huge gap during uni

donkily

HSC
N/A
there care a bit they would rather you work even if its a 'shit' job than to have a huge gap during uni
even med students? i heard that some med students dont work part time because med is too competitive

chickencoop

HSC
even med students? i heard that some med students dont work part time because med is too competitive
They have a decent job market (debatable - fite me) to reward them if they focus solely on med tho...

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Med students generally work less part-time jobs because you don't need to and it adds almost 0 value to your career compared to say b.comm or law or engineering. I know plenty of people in my cohort who work but it is definitely not easy to do anything more than 10 hours a week consistently unless you want to just pass and get by.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I would be interested to hear of med students part time work during uni. I too have heard that Med students don't need the work, and the ones that do, do things like tutoring.

I have heard of universities like Cambridge having a policy where they don't allow their students to work during uni. Not sure if this is true or not.

donkily

HSC
N/A
Med students generally work less part-time jobs because you don't need to and it adds almost 0 value to your career compared to say b.comm or law or engineering. I know plenty of people in my cohort who work but it is definitely not easy to do anything more than 10 hours a week consistently unless you want to just pass and get by.
I would be interested to hear of med students part time work during uni. I too have heard that Med students don't need the work, and the ones that do, do things like tutoring.

I have heard of universities like Cambridge having a policy where they don't allow their students to work during uni. Not sure if this is true or not.
i believe med students do high school tutoring since they're usually the ones with high atars but i am against tutoring other students (unless it's tutoring for free but i will not have the time to do that)

for an actual part time job, i think they do uni tutoring (usually second-third yr) and have clinical practice as part of their degree

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Companies don't care if you worked 15 hours at kfc and 15 at mcdonalds a week while studying.
Depends on the job but IMO it says you're able to balance work/studies, can handle responsibility/commitments, etc... and then depending on the job you did, you may be able to demonstrate other traits/skills whether it be customer service, coaching staff, managing aspects of a process, conflict resolution, budgeting/forecasting, supervision/review, etc...

Past performance is often a good indicator of future performance (in this case at least).

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Definitely keep an eye out on your uni's internal careers/student jobs webpage. Uni pay is greeeeaaaaattttt and they love hiring student casuals, plus they're super accomodating towards your studies.

Kolmias

HSC
I think that freelancing is a kind of decent job. You get less money at the beggining, in contrast to a regular job. But you manage your time as you want. There are a lot of platforms, the most popular are Upwork and Toptal. There are thousands of different tasks for any kind of skills and experience, so you may choose something easier first, and then get a good portfolio to attract more clients. And It seems popular nowadays among students due to the stress caused by the amount of the tasks, to ask for some help for writings. The requests, for instance, to buy history papers online appear more and more often. So if you've got proficient writing skills, there are a lot of opportunities to get deeper understanding in some subjects, help somebody with an essay and improve your writing skills and ability to work with different content.
As for me, freelancing is much better than any kind of part time job, like bartender or barista or any other physical work.
why thank you adbot, we'll be sure to not listen to you.

lol at baristas being physical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)