• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Deciding between SLR, PDHPE (Health and Movement Science) or Music 1 (1 Viewer)

EP10123k

HSC
As someone who did Music 1 - would say that it wouldn't be worth it if you don't have the passion/time. Because you have to do 3 electives (either performance, musicology, composition) + 1 core performance it ends up being a lot of work (particularly if you choose composition/musicology), and of course the HSC exam which is aural skills. For you I would go with the advice of most people here and choose PDHPE.
@jonolad69 listen to the experts. Like you have any more experience than me (you are completing the HSC in 2026), you are just talking out of your ass. Health and Movement Science is BETTER with more advanced concepts added to PE. This would actually make it very useful in combination with advanced maths, chemistry and biology for a sports science job. Any other options would literally not be relevant for her job as I looked at all the subjects UAC has to offer and am also planning to do a sports science degree in Uni (you probably are not by the way you are talking). Check all the subject options from UAC before coming to the conclusion that PDHPE/Health and Movement Science sucks. English sucks and is also mandatory. 🤷‍♂️

@jonolad69, I challenge you to tell me exactly how they 'ruined' the syllabus.

EP10123k

HSC
yeah they made It actually like… hard

it was always meant to be the easy subject you pick now it’s ruined
The 'easy' way isn't necessary good to build your knowledge. Picking PDHPE in @Glubglub's case is not a 'bludge' but I subject that will help her in the future. Doing hard things is necessary to grow as an individual. Just saying...

Last edited:

jonolad69

HSC
@jonolad69 listen to the experts. Like you have any more experience than me (you are completing the HSC in 2026), you are just talking out of your ass. Health and Movement Science is BETTER with more advanced concepts added to PE. This would actually make it very useful in combination with advanced maths, chemistry and biology for a sports science job. Any other options would literally not be relevant for her job as I looked at all the subjects UAC has to offer and am also planning to do a sports science degree in Uni (you probably are not by the way you are talking). Check all the subject options from UAC before coming to the conclusion that PDHPE/Health and Movement Science sucks. English sucks and is also mandatory. 🤷‍♂️

@jonolad69, I challenge you to tell me exactly how they 'ruined' the syllabus.
im being stupid by saying they "ruined" the syllabus, i'm not an expert, it's just my opinion that they ruined it

but from what I can see, the fact that you have to complete depth studies is insane

jonolad69

HSC
The 'easy' way isn't necessary good to build your knowledge. Picking PDHPE in @Glubglub's case is not a 'bludge' but I subject that will help her in the future. Doing hard things is necessary to grow as an individual. Just saying...
also, yet AGAIN

you don't understand the concept of university

sarbear.h

HSC
Hello!
I am a math/science kid in Year 10 deciding my subjects in less than a month who HATES writing and am avoiding writing subjects like the plague. I currently have 11 units and am deciding for my last 1 or 2. Here are my definite subjects.

Math Extension 1 (accelerated)
English Advanced
Biology
Chemistry
SOR 2 (have to do religion at my school :rolleyes:)

At the moment I am deciding between SLR, PDHPE and Music 1, though I am open to other suggestions for non-writing subjects.
PDHPE pros:
  • Interesting content
  • Useful for my dream to be a physiotherapist
PDHPE cons:
  • Content heavy apparently and I am worried about workload for Year 11, especially with me taking the math HSC next year
  • 12 markers. I've heard you have to write 2-4 pages for these, and there are like, 4 of them in one exam
SLR pros:
  • Easy and provides a nice little outlet for my stress as well as a break from my other subjects
  • I enjoy being physically active
SLR cons:
  • I know people who have said they hated (they didn't specify why)
  • I really haven't heard much about it
  • I haven't heard of people who want a high ATAR doing it
Music 1 pros:
  • Also provides a bit of an outlet
  • I'm good at theory and okay at playing clarinet (the last exam I did was grade 4, but that was many years ago and I'm sure I've improved. The last piece I performed was at grade 7 level, but it took FOREVER to learn)
Music 1 cons:
  • Music isn't exactly my PASSION. I enjoy doing it, but I'm not obsessed with it
  • I've heard you have to practice for 30 mins to 1 hour a day, which i really don't have time for
  • I don't like the stress of choosing a piece that is not too easy that you don't get good marks but not too hard that you can't learn it in time
  • I get stage fright really bad
I'm also worried because I don't necessarily plan to take any of these subjects into year 12 (unless I end up being really good at it). This could mean that I don't have enough units if I want to drop something else or if I don't end up taking Extension 2 math like I planned. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
definitely look the break even points for hsc, to see what can boost your atar and what might drag it down. your school should also give u a couple weeks to decide if you want to stay in the course or to change it so definitely rank your subjects. also as someone who wants to pursue medicine i would definitely say do english advanced because it really scales better and its far easier to get higher marks compared to standard. thinking about the curve, theres more people doing english standard in comparison to advanced so it is easier to shine bright and do well. i have a link that i found on bos that has all the scaling and breakeven points of most hsc subjects that i can dm to you

Last edited:

Glubglub

HSC
Okay guys. Thanks for all your help and insight.
I've decided I am taking PDHPE because I genuinely enjoy the content and if I find I am struggling with my workload, I will drop from SOR 2 to 1. For English, I really need a high ATAR, so I am going to try advanced but if I am really struggling Ill drop to standard in year 12 or even after the first few weeks of year 11.

EP10123k

HSC
@Glubglub No need to pick SOR 2, you already have 12 units. There is a lot of islam in that. For a girl in a catholic school, they have mainly taught you about Catholicism. I strongly advise you to pick SOR 1, even people who are good at religion opt for that. It is the most popular option for a reason in my school (which is also a catholic school). The exam is also 3 hours with Islam in it. For someone who wants to become a physio when they grow up, picking sor 2 will be a detriment for your main subjects. It is an extra unit you seriously don't need.

jonolad69

HSC
@Glubglub No need to pick SOR 2, you already have 12 units. There is a lot of islam in that. For a girl in a catholic school, they have mainly taught you about Catholicism. I strongly advise you to pick SOR 1, even people who are good at religion opt for that. It is the most popular option for a reason in my school (which is also a catholic school). The exam is also 3 hours with Islam in it. For someone who wants to become a physio when they grow up, picking sor 2 will be a detriment for your main subjects. It is an extra unit you seriously don't need.
lol stfu

do you know what UNIVERSITY IS

jonolad69

HSC
@jonolad69 Like you know any better
you're just so retarded

your logic makes 0 SENSE

NOT EVERYONE DOING HSC GEOGRAPHY WANTS TO DO GEOGRAPHY AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc geography isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

NOT EVERYONE DOING ENGLISH EXTENSION 2 WANTS TO DO PHILOSOPHY AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc ex2 isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

NOT EVERYONE DOING PDHPE WANTS TO DO SPORTS/EXERCISE SCIENCE OR PHYSIOTHERAPY AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc PDHPE isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

NOT EVERYONE DOING LEGAL STUDIES WANTS TO DO LAW AT UNI (if you apply your stupid fucking logic, then you're assuming that doing hsc legal studies gives you a leg up in uni, no it doesn't, it's literally useless)

NOT EVERYONE DOING BUSINESS STUDIES WANTS TO DO BUSINESS OR COMMERCE AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc Business Studies isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

jonolad69

HSC
@jonolad69 Like you know any better. She does need a good atar to become a physio so I wouldn't be talking if I were you. You're acting like you know everything, even though you are completing the hsc in 2026. You mirin?
what comments have suggested that i think i know everything. your logic and reasoning flat out makes 0 sense and you're suggesting people pick hsc subjects thinking they are directly correlated to what they want to do at uni and beyond in their job. you are wrong, stop spewing bs

it's seriously painful reading your messages as you clearly have no idea what university actually is lmfao. search up on google "what is university"

EP10123k

HSC
what comments have suggested that i think i know everything. your logic and reasoning flat out makes 0 sense and you're suggesting people pick hsc subjects thinking they are directly correlated to what they want to do at uni and beyond in their job. you are wrong, stop spewing bs

it's seriously painful reading your messages as you clearly have no idea what university actually is lmfao. search up on google "what is university"
OMG wow you have way more experience than me! 😲

EP10123k

HSC
you're just so retarded

your logic makes 0 SENSE

NOT EVERYONE DOING HSC GEOGRAPHY WANTS TO DO GEOGRAPHY AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc geography isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

NOT EVERYONE DOING ENGLISH EXTENSION 2 WANTS TO DO PHILOSOPHY AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc ex2 isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

NOT EVERYONE DOING PDHPE WANTS TO DO SPORTS/EXERCISE SCIENCE OR PHYSIOTHERAPY AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc PDHPE isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)

NOT EVERYONE DOING LEGAL STUDIES WANTS TO DO LAW AT UNI (if you apply your stupid fucking logic, then you're assuming that doing hsc legal studies gives you a leg up in uni, no it doesn't, it's literally useless)

NOT EVERYONE DOING BUSINESS STUDIES WANTS TO DO BUSINESS OR COMMERCE AT UNI (tell me with your stupid logic why hsc Business Studies isn't assumed knowledge for these courses?)
@jonolad69 The old PE was just too basic for a course like that. They might make health and movement science a prerequisite. Since they changed PE and renamed it to health and movement science, you never know if it might be a prerequisite (using your 'logic' you can probably understand this 'concept').

EP10123k

HSC

So you are basically saying that people should just be home schooled?

carrotsss

HSC
@jonolad69 Like you know any better. She does need a good atar to become a physio so I wouldn't be talking if I were you. You're acting like you know everything, even though you are completing the hsc in 2026. You mirin?
as much as jonolad is being a bit rude about it, as a hsc 2023 he’s not really wrong. other than the few subjects which are generally treated as prerequisites for some courses such as maths advanced it really doesn’t what subjects you do in high school in terms of future relevance. anything relevant to eg physio that isn’t in its specifically labelled prerequisites or assumed knowledge will be retaught in uni anyway, and the universities wouldn’t add it as one since that would mean a major uni syllabus shift for the physio subjects which doesn’t really happen much, especially to a subject which they know many people in the course won’t have already be doing. beyond subjects directly labelled as prereqs/assumed people should choose subjects which are interesting to them because this is what will make them do well and get a high atar

this isn’t to say she shouldn’t do pdhpe by the way, if that’s what she finds interesting then it could be a good choice for her and there’s nothing wrong with that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)