Decisions (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma regarding course selection for next year. I go to Castle Hill High School.

My english teachers want me to pick up extension 2 english, and to do that id logically drop my poorest course (in terms of exam results) which is physics at the moment, but I'm being told by my physics teacher thats its a very handy course to have in your HSC units for reasons of scaling and university choices.

Though now im considering I could drop *maths* (advanced) instead of physics, any advice is greatly appreciated.

So far my ranks look like this,
#1 - Biology (/32), Economics (/25), English Advanced (/80), English Extension (/20), Information Processes and Technology (/70).
#2 - Physics (/27)
#9 - Math 2U (/84)

nwatts

HSC
In terms of university, you'd best keep maths. There's quite a number of univsersity courses that ask for two units of maths, where as there are very few that ask specifically for physics.

My advice would be, pick up EE2 and drop nothing. Do a little bit extra all year, and you'll find yourself with a great UAI, as two of your units will not be counted (and you'd probably find it'd either be maths or advanced english). Your physics teacher needs a bit of a slap, as scaling shouldn't be considered when chosing subjects.

You'll have 12 units, which is easily managed.

Which of your current subjects do you dislike the most?

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
You shouldn't drop maths because physics is needed for lots of university courses.

Any university course that requires physics will also require at least 2u maths (i assume).

But, nwatts, wouldn't that mean hes doing 14 units if he picked up EE2 and dropped nothing, not 12?

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Yeah ill have 14 units if I dont drop, and I'm not sure I could cope with that much work, 12 is optimum, 13 is acceptable (I'm doing 13 right now and it's perfectly fine).

As for the courses I dislike the most, it'd be a toss up between Information Processes and Technology and Physics. Everything else is peachy, even maths though the exams knock me around a lot

P

pLuvia

dont drop maths at any cost, drop the subject which scales you the least i.e. ITP, but don't ever drop maths when you have physics, it comes really handy

nwatts

HSC
kadlil said:
dont drop maths at any cost, drop the subject which scales you the least i.e. ITP, but don't ever drop maths when you have physics, it comes really handy
Pfft. Drop the subject you dislike.

Because, I assure you, by the time you get towards the end of year 12 you absolutely won't be motivated to put in an ounce of effort into something you hate. At which time, scaling is thrown out the window.

kadlil, you're in year 11. In a year's time I want to see you still telling people that they're best picking subjects based on how they scale.

drewgcn, yeah miscounted. Sorry bout that.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I realise physics has strong scaling, but dropping it to pick up extension 2 english isnt a *backwards* turn in scaling terms (Not that scaling matters all that much anyway - that being said, I probably wouldnt go near a course scaling lower than -5 because my brain doesn't always behave how it should :p)

I might drop physics I think, our two physics teachers will chuck a wobbly because the guys and girls coming 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th in it are likely dropping it as well, and I'm coming 2nd and im giving it the boot too. The class had enough retards at the start of the year, god forbid trying to teach them next term.

Thanks for the confidence boost guys ^o^

klaw

HSC
nwatts said:
Pfft. Drop the subject you dislike.

Because, I assure you, by the time you get towards the end of year 12 you absolutely won't be motivated to put in an ounce of effort into something you hate. At which time, scaling is thrown out the window.

kadlil, you're in year 11. In a year's time I want to see you still telling people that they're best picking subjects based on how they scale.

drewgcn, yeah miscounted. Sorry bout that.
Very true. I hated chem so much that I would dread going to that subject sooooo much. I finally decided I had enough of the torture and switched to business studies, even though it scales a lot crapper. I'm glad I made that change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)