defences (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
for a complete defence the syllabus says "self defence necessity" whilst the heinamenn book seperates them as "self defence" "necessity" which is correct? [i know i shouldnt question the syllabus as being wrong but sometimes it is for eg the business studies one] thanks guys ;)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i always classify them as seperate defences, however, it is understandable how they are similar. so, i dunno, watever ur more used to doing i guess

Teoh

I split them...because I think self-defence can be used as a defence for murder. Whereas necissity (sp?) can't be used as a defence for murder [R vs. Dudley and Stevens (no date)]- wahhh I helped u for a change :):)

carlz_07

HSC
yep, it's "self defence" and "necessity" because they are different.. take that case of those guys out on the water in a boat and they killed one of the guys and ate him out of necessity. You can't say that was self defence so I'd say it proves the case for them being separate.

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
Teoh said:
I split them...because I think self-defence can be used as a defence for murder. Whereas necissity (sp?) can't be used as a defence for murder [R vs. Dudley and Stevens (no date)]- wahhh I helped u for a change :):)
they can both be used

santaslayer

HSC
They're both very seperate defences.

Was the Dudley case about the guys that cannabalised this other man? If so, it was only in that particular case that necessity was rejected as a defence because a man's life was too important.

Gemstone

santaslayer said:
They're both very seperate defences.

Was the Dudley case about the guys that cannabalised this other man? If so, it was only in that particular case that necessity was rejected as a defence because a man's life was too important.
Yeah that was the Dudley case. Was it only in that case. I thought it set a precedent.

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
for a complete defence the syllabus says "self defence necessity" whilst the heinamenn book seperates them as "self defence" "necessity" which is correct? [i know i shouldnt question the syllabus as being wrong but sometimes it is for eg the business studies one] thanks guys ;)
i used 'necessity' in the trial exam when it was 'self defence'

i lost marks..

so dont question the sylabus lol

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
self defence is when u commit a crime knowingly to protect yourself.. but remember the key point to this is REASONABLE FORCE - eg. if someone comes at u with a spoon, dont shoot them!

neccessity is when u knowingly commit a crime to prevent an even worse evil happening... i think the R vs. Dudley and Stevens sums it up - they killed one bloke to save 2 dying.. yeh its morally wrong, but technically its right

BUT: here is my question - wat is the difference between Necessity and Duress?

Teoh

Tim_Shady said:
i think the R vs. Dudley and Stevens sums it up - they killed one bloke to save 2 dying.. yeh its morally wrong, but technically its right

BUT: here is my question - wat is the difference between Necessity and Duress?
Dudley and Stevens were jailed, necessity isn't a defence to murder.

Necessity = Committing crime to prevent a worse outcome
Duress = Committing a crime under pressure/influence

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
oh thats right - Necessity and Duress - although they are complete defences there are the 2 levels of complete defece - "Absolute" (aquittal) and "Qualified" (lesser sentence; reduces murder to manslaughter etc.)

Thanks for that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)