Deferring (1 Viewer)

twenty12

HSC
I know I've got really limited time to do this, but just want some views. I'm not liking my course and the job prospects for it don't look too good. I've got an atar of 89 should I just take a gap year and apply for something else, or stick it out and transfer to another course next year
If i go with the transferring option obviously my uni marks have to be high but in terms of credit, distinction what would an atar of 89 equate to?
Like, if a credit average is seen as better than 89, then I'd rather improve my chances of getting into another course by staying at uni and getting credit average. Although there is the issue of money being wasted.
What do you think is the better option?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
You can do a gap year with the ADF make a bit of moeny thne come back and study the degree that you think suits you while boosting ur CV during that period

izzy88

HSC
Its a bit difficult to say what kind of average equals a particular kind of atar because universities let transfers in by demand (same way as atar). If there are not many people transferring, a credit average could be fine, but if lots of people are, you may need a D average or higher. Also some universities take into account 50% ATAR when you transfer in any case (eg. USYD).

Do you know what you would like to transfer into (or start) next year? Its difficult to give any advice because we don't know whether you will need to do a year of something to transfer, or whether you can get in on ATAR.

There are also generally university academic counsellors that can offer advice on course choice/dropping out/transferring etc - it may be good if you could get in to see one of them before the census date.

Good luck with your decision. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Its a bit difficult to say what kind of average equals a particular kind of atar because universities let transfers in by demand (same way as atar). If there are not many people transferring, a credit average could be fine, but if lots of people are, you may need a D average or higher. Also some universities take into account 50% ATAR when you transfer in any case (eg. USYD).

Do you know what you would like to transfer into (or start) next year? Its difficult to give any advice because we don't know whether you will need to do a year of something to transfer, or whether you can get in on ATAR.

There are also generally university academic counsellors that can offer advice on course choice/dropping out/transferring etc - it may be good if you could get in to see one of them before the census date.

Good luck with your decision. Sorry I can't be of more help.
USYD only takes 50/50 if the GPA isn't better than the ATAR. UNSW on the other hand does for most undergrads.

Bobbo1

HSC
What happens if I defer after completing the 1st semester, i.e. I go to uni for the 1st semester then take a half year gap year. Would my ATAR of GPA count if I was to apply again next year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)