Definition of "imaginative writing" (1 Viewer)

Karlz04

HSC
I read it last year. The first half bored the hell out of me. But believe me, it picks up. Its actually a great book :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
absolution* said:
If thats the case try to deter from the generic course of events and perhaps write in a slightly post-modernistic style. Even though its not your elective, teachers love that sort of stuff.
I was actually thinking of that - one of the criteria for my assessment is based on "your ability to employ or subvert the conventions of crime fiction and the particular sub-genre chosen". I was thinking of writing in a post-modern style, but then it's half subverting it and half following the conventions...so I'll have to ponder over it :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
I know what you mean. I couldnt solve any in 2000 words.

Have you considered maybe taking it from the perspective of a new cop on the case? As in the bodys already been found, its pretty much just compiling the evidence?
Apart from that, dont do a murder. Think of a different crime. I think the teachers also like that because most people automatically do a murder for the crime.
Very true. It seems like murder is too cliched, especially since a lot of the twists have been employed by authors already, making it hard to be original.
My main difficulty is actually creating an interesting plot - it's amazing...to have a really good plot you pretty much need to put yourself in the detective's shoes and use your own logic to solve the crime you created...I'm finding that hard atm :(

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
pull up said:
hay any1 in here read the novel "The skull beneath the skin"?
Hehe....I read the first 5-6 pages about 4 times before I could continue reading it....it was extremely boring. But as Karlz04 said, it gets better by the end. It picks up once the death occurs.

Karlz04

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Very true. It seems like murder is too cliched, especially since a lot of the twists have been employed by authors already, making it hard to be original.
My main difficulty is actually creating an interesting plot - it's amazing...to have a really good plot you pretty much need to put yourself in the detective's shoes and use your own logic to solve the crime you created...I'm finding that hard atm :(
Most of, actually all the ones I wote, I did part from the detectives pov, part from the killers pov. I find it breaks the story up a bit, variety is good, lol. If youre interested in that, I recomment "Beneath the Skin" by Nikki French. Its an excellent book that has the killers pov, as well as like a third person narration for the rest of the novel.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
Most of, actually all the ones I wote, I did part from the detectives pov, part from the killers pov. I find it breaks the story up a bit, variety is good, lol. If youre interested in that, I recomment "Beneath the Skin" by Nikki French. Its an excellent book that has the killers pov, as well as like a third person narration for the rest of the novel.
I actually tried doing that (KPOV), and it kind of worked but I only wrote about 300 words to start with, coz I found that it was going to exceed the 2000 word limit...I'm thinking of alternative crimes to murder now :)

Karlz04

HSC
Ok. I'll kepp thinking for you. At the moment I cant really think of any solid crime stories that can be done well in that word count.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
Ok. I'll kepp thinking for you. At the moment I cant really think of any solid crime stories that can be done well in that word count.
Hehe....you don't need to worry about thinking for me. I'm just feeling uninspired atm. Often I need a bit of inspiration, and then I'm on my way - takes weeks for me to develop an idea. Once I'm off it takes me a few hours to type it up :)

Karlz04

HSC
Yeah I know what thats like. I was really surprised with my EE1 exams for that reason. Yet the ideas always seemed to come at thr right times, I was soooo lucky, lol. I was freaking out in my half yearly coz I couldnt think of anything to write. Once I got to that part it all came really easily. It wasnt my best piece of writing, but considering it was an exam and I was freaking out, I was REALLY happy with it, lol.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
Yeah I know what thats like. I was really surprised with my EE1 exams for that reason. Yet the ideas always seemed to come at thr right times, I was soooo lucky, lol. I was freaking out in my half yearly coz I couldnt think of anything to write. Once I got to that part it all came really easily. It wasnt my best piece of writing, but considering it was an exam and I was freaking out, I was REALLY happy with it, lol.
Do you think markers take into account the pressure in an exam such as that? E.g. my English teacher just about never gives out anything above 15/20 in practice essays for AOS or Advanced...whether it's me, my class or him I don't know (but I certainly hope it's the latter, and not the other two). Coz as someone else on BoS said, you never produce your best results under the pressure of an exam (I think it was grimreaper...someone doing Ext 2 maths anyway)

Karlz04

HSC
I believe they do take it into consideration, however I could be wrong, and even if they do Im not sure how they work it (as in marking slightly easier etc). I know what you mean with teachers marking. One of my teachers marks REALLY hard, while others mark way too easily. I was told by my Chemistry teacher that I had done really well on my trial exam - I got 48% not even a pass! I was not at all happy with my mark or her attitude to my mark. English is really hard too, especially with creative writing as different people have different opinions as to what is good and what isnt.

By the way, I have the notes for The Big Sleep. My computer wont let me attach them at the moment :( If you have an email I can email them to you if you still want them :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
I believe they do take it into consideration, however I could be wrong, and even if they do Im not sure how they work it (as in marking slightly easier etc). I know what you mean with teachers marking. One of my teachers marks REALLY hard, while others mark way too easily. I was told by my Chemistry teacher that I had done really well on my trial exam - I got 48% not even a pass! I was not at all happy with my mark or her attitude to my mark. English is really hard too, especially with creative writing as different people have different opinions as to what is good and what isnt.

By the way, I have the notes for The Big Sleep. My computer wont let me attach them at the moment :( If you have an email I can email them to you if you still want them :)
That's one thing I hate about "subjective" subjects such as english, eco, history etc. (basically the humanities) - it's up to the discretion of the mark as to whether they "like" your response or not. Maths, chem, phys and sciences are "fairer" IMO, as they are generally marked objectively - you're either right or wrong, unlike english where there is no defined right or wrong.

Btw. were you proud of your final HSC chem mark in the end?

Karlz04

HSC
I got an exam mark of 69 :) HSC mark ended up as 67. I was really happy with it. Because of the trial and the attutide of my teacher, I didnt think the class as a whole would go well. A little higher would have been nicer, lol. But overall Im really happy :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
I got an exam mark of 69 :) HSC mark ended up as 67. I was really happy with it. Because of the trial and the attutide of my teacher, I didnt think the class as a whole would go well. A little higher would have been nicer, lol. But overall Im really happy :)
:)
It's always crap to have a bad teacher...luckily I haven't had that experience yet, but unfortunately there's not much you can really do. :(

Karlz04

HSC
Its weird, most of the teachers Ive had who (im my opinion) havent been really good teachers, have been really nice people. So I feel bad when I say things about them. And the ones who arent so nice are generally good teachers. Well thats how I found it anyway.

Have you had any luck with your story yet?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Karlz04 said:
Its weird, most of the teachers Ive had who (im my opinion) havent been really good teachers, have been really nice people. So I feel bad when I say things about them. And the ones who arent so nice are generally good teachers. Well thats how I found it anyway.

Have you had any luck with your story yet?
I have actually (I think). I'm veering away from murder coz what you said is right - too few words to solve a murder. As for my actual story, it's only a rough idea but I'm trying to think of a plausible motive for the perp + ways to trick the reader and create suspense. But come to think of it - how do you create suspense if the crime isn't a murder? A crime usually isn't as exciting when it's not a murder (not being morbid or anything, but I think it's true).

Karlz04

HSC
Yeah I know what you mean. A kidnapping can hace suspense, but its still kind of hard with the word limit. Could you get away with having like a ranom drop off (Im not sure if your teacher means complete as in it has to be solved, or absolutelycomplete).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)