• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Definitions of Active, Passive, and Negative Belonging (1 Viewer)

cmiranda5151

HSC
Hello :wave:

Would anybody happen to have a Good Definition for Passive Belonging, and Negative Belonging? :idea:

I am doing an essay on Belonging with refernce to the "The Crucible" By Arthur Miller, "The Rabbits" By John Marsden and Shaun Tan, and "Gattaca" By Andrew Niccol.

Does anyone know anything on "The Rabbits" and "Gattaca" that refers to Belonging? :confused:

Thank You

imoO

HSC
Passive belonging is when you do nothing, but just tag along to belong.

For example, say that you don't like bowling, but you join the bowling club because all your friends joined it. Then you don't go bowling, but yet you still have a membership. I believe that is passive belonging.

Negative belonging is when belonging has detrimental effects towards yourself. For example, belonging to a organized crime group is something that would be called negative belonging. I'm not too sure, but this is what I can make out of it.

didier91

HSC
Well I have seen Gattaca.... I'm hoping you have as well if you are doing it for your related text...

I would say it's a negative belonging in that he belongs to the normal people who are not genetically modified to be 'perfect' and is heavily discriminated for this. I'm sure you can give specific references in the film as for evidence and backup with reason etc etc.

:headbang:

cmiranda5151

HSC
Thank You :)

Ofcourse I have Watched the movie.... I would not be using it if I had not :uhhuh: lol

ThanK You!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)