Degree abbreviations (1 Viewer)

Conspirocy

HSC
Okay this has shitted me for a while now

when you are writing the abbreviated form of a commerce degree is it

(a) B Com; or

(b) B Comm

now i think its (a) and that (b) means you studied communications.

Also for economics is it

(a) B Econ; or

(b) B Ec

now i know USYD rkn its B Com and B Ec respectively, UNSW agrees

well looks like i settled that then oh well, still shits me when commerce people write comm

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've always used B Comm to describe Commerce and thought B Com was for communications. I saw B Com on the business card of a BMW salesperson so I figure it's more likely to be communications. *shrugs* Anyone know for sure?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i thought it was the other way round...

BCom = B. Commerce
BComm = B. Communications

turtleface

HSC
BCom and BComm both refer to a Bachelor of Commerce

BComm is more traditional, BCom is more contemporary

Conspirocy

HSC
seremify007 said:
What's communications then?
ditto

although communications maybe be a newer degree, then again didnt eveyone used to just study Economics?

Conspirocy

HSC
seremify007 said:
I've always used B Comm to describe Commerce and thought B Com was for communications. I saw B Com on the business card of a BMW salesperson so I figure it's more likely to be communications. *shrugs* Anyone know for sure?
Hey was the salesperson a big guy, sorta built, shaved head, aussie looking?

Raginsheep

HSC
Look down the bottom.......apparently Australia uses BCom, others use BComm

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Conspirocy said:
Hey was the salesperson a big guy, sorta built, shaved head, aussie looking?
Nah it was a chick called Sandra from Trivett BMW, Parramatta.

Wikipedia said:
Most universities plan the Bachelor of Commerce degree with a rigorous course schedule. Cooperative education programs are also common.
Progressing past a BComm, a graduate can go on to a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or other post-graduate masters program. Graduates can also pursue accounting designations, such as Chartered Accountant (CA). A graduate of a Bachelor of Commerce program receives the designation "BComm" or sometimes (especially in Australia and New Zealand) "BCom", "B.Com" or "BCA" (Bachelor of Commerce and Administration).
Whilst Wiki isn't the be-all/end-all to arguments, it does shed some light on the topic. I personally don't care, but I've always used "BComm" anyway. Looks more "correct" than "BCom".

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
yea, I agree with seremify, I always used BComm its the term used in Australia I wikipediaed it to check if its the rite way to say it and it is... BCom sound to plain :p

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, always thought B.Comm. looked better. Communications degrees I thought would be a B.A.(Comm.)

Conspirocy

HSC
you reckon???

I like B Com better

Im shitty though, I always thought for Economics it was B Econ....B Ec looks shit

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
yea, BEcon looks better than BEc (its sounds like bec a chix name lol)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I use B Com for commerce... it just seems more correct that way.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Yeah, always thought B.Comm. looked better. Communications degrees I thought would be a B.A.(Comm.)
If Comm. were to stand for commerce then would not your reccomended abbreviation logically be a Bachelor of Arts in Commerce?

Anyways, when describing Communications I noticed most unis either shorten it to Comm or Commu depending on whether its part of Media and Communications (BA Med Comm), or just Communications (BA Commu). So I would then presume it is Com for commerce.

X

xeuyrawp

You use whatever your university standard is, just like MBBS v MBBCh, BEco v BEc, BSc v BSci, etc etc, grads do.

After a brief look on UAC and google, I think that most NSW unis award a BCom for a Bachelor of Commerce and either a BComm, a BCommu or a BComn (like Griffith) for a Bachelor of Communication. But yeah, your uni has decided on whatever abbreviation for whatever reason, so you just use that.

Edit: heh, beaten to it by kami!

Last edited by a moderator:

lala2

Banned
HSC
kami said:
If Comm. were to stand for commerce then would not your reccomended abbreviation logically be a Bachelor of Arts in Commerce?

Anyways, when describing Communications I noticed most unis either shorten it to Comm or Commu depending on whether its part of Media and Communications (BA Med Comm), or just Communications (BA Commu). So I would then presume it is Com for commerce.
Yes, but you can't have a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Commerce, so that's why I thought a B.A.(Comm.) makes more sense. Like UTS, they offer Arts in Communications degrees, so B.A.(whatever abbrev for Communications is) makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)