degree for advertising career (2 Viewers)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: help

I'd wager, Commerce degree with a major in Marketing.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

why commerce? I suck at maths though :(
Because Marketing is a part of a Commerce degree. You could possibly do advertising under a different degree (like media and communications) but B Commerce (Marketing) is the standard way to go.

You don't need to be good at Math to do Commerce. It's only in first year that it's really relevant, and they teach you everything you need to know anyway.

enoilgam

HSC

Because Marketing is a part of a Commerce degree. You could possibly do advertising under a different degree (like media and communications) but B Commerce (Marketing) is the standard way to go.

You don't need to be good at Math to do Commerce. It's only in first year that it's really relevant, and they teach you everything you need to know anyway.
This pretty much. I know some universities offer majors in advertising as part of their commerce degree program (Notre Dame does). You might also be able to do it via an arts degree.

neontiger

HSC
If you're keen to skip the Maths, UTS offer a BA (Public Communication) in which you can major in advertising. Having said that advertising grad jobs are few and far between and having a Commerce degree would possibly give you an advantage because it shows you're an individual with academically developed qualitative AND quantitative skills.

EDIT: Oh and as other users have said, first year commerce maths is easy. Accounting isn't maths, economics is basic calculus and a bit of simultaneous equations. Then if you can scrape a pass in whatever statistics course it is you have to do, you're fine. :)

Last edited:

eldawgz

HSC
Would the advantage of a Commerce degree (Marketing) be the same with Economics degree and major in Marketing?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you don't even need to go to uni for a career in advertising

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
....yes you do. At least unless you're willing to risk breaking the law I guess.
Why not. The argument "you don't need a degree to do X" is so weak, why not include breaking laws.

HSC
I'm really Interested in advertising since Gruen Transfer and MadMen lol
I dropped General maths :L Thought I could escape Maths forever NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)