degree for advertising career (2 Viewers)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Marketing and Advertising are completely different. To do advertising, like in the Gruen Transfer and 'Mad Men', you need to do a bachelor of communications NOT a bachelor of commerce with a major in marketing. The communications degree allows you to major in advertising and there's a lot of emphasis on the different aspects of advertising, including copywriting, art direction, media, etc. if you were to do a degree in commerce, majoring in marketing, you wouldn't do any advertising units. I stress this once more, advertising and marketing are extremely different.

I'm doing a bachelor of communication and I'm majoring in advertising so, yeah. =]
Trust me, you'll enjoy it! =]
I also wanted to do it because of the Gruen transfer and mad men and I have friends doing a bachelor of commerce majoring in marketing and they say that it is completely different to what I'm doing so I'm glad I took the communications route. =]
Good luck! =]
Yes, you do. I've done them.

Advertising and Marketing are different, insofar as advertising is a subsection of marketing.

Mulberry

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Being a subsection of marketing, you would not study it in depth in a business/commerce based degree, whereas with communications, it is a major that places emphasis on advertising and all aspects of it - you also learn about media and there's a great deal of focus on creativity and the ability to communicate ideas effectively.
I guess it also depends on your uni's course structure because you can only take advertising as a sub-major at UTS, with the 'business degree' that is.

The ATAR depends on where you want to go. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)