Degree recommendations? please (1 Viewer)

Atterbatter226

HSC
N/A
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any reccs for degrees that might appeal;

est. atar 90+
dont mind course time
I was considering a bachelor of arts --> postgrad JD/LLB (believe this is viable).
Because bach of arts is general and I like humanities. However, I also enjoy the practicality of investigation, just not the sterile nature of sciences (plus no bg in them). I enjoy studying generally and pursuing knowledge, tho not sure what to do job-wise. smth that pays well but idk
Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The study path that you are currently considering would imply that you aspire to start a career in law. Assuming that you will achieve a sufficiently high ATAR for entry into a Bachelor of Laws at the more well-regarded law schools, I would question the choice of studying a Bachelor of Laws as a graduate or at postgraduate level through a Juris Doctor. Not only can you potentially study law at undergraduate level (although you mentioned that you are fine with the duration of the path that you are considering, it is still important to consider this factor), but you can do so while still studying a Bachelor of Arts (which you mentioned you are interested in), since the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws double degree exists at different universities. This path would still allow you to study both degrees and complete your studies faster than you would should you opt for the path that you are suggesting.

The good thing about achieving a high ATAR is that a wide range of degrees becomes accessible. Since you mentioned that you like humanities, degrees that may be of interest in addition to the Bachelor of Arts include:
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce
  • Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Actuarial Studies
These degrees are also offered as double degrees, for example:
  • Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business/Commerce, Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce/Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Actuarial Studies/Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Actuarial Studies/Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce/Bachelor of Laws, Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Laws.
I hope this helps! :D

wildwestworm

HSC
The study path that you are currently considering would imply that you aspire to start a career in law. Assuming that you will achieve a sufficiently high ATAR for entry into a Bachelor of Laws at the more well-regarded law schools, I would question the choice of studying a Bachelor of Laws as a graduate or at postgraduate level through a Juris Doctor. Not only can you potentially study law at undergraduate level (although you mentioned that you are fine with the duration of the path that you are considering, it is still important to consider this factor), but you can do so while still studying a Bachelor of Arts (which you mentioned you are interested in), since the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws double degree exists at different universities. This path would still allow you to study both degrees and complete your studies faster than you would should you opt for the path that you are suggesting.

The good thing about achieving a high ATAR is that a wide range of degrees becomes accessible. Since you mentioned that you like humanities, degrees that may be of interest in addition to the Bachelor of Arts include:
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce
  • Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Actuarial Studies
These degrees are also offered as double degrees, for example:
  • Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business/Commerce, Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce/Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Actuarial Studies/Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Actuarial Studies/Bachelor of Economics
  • Bachelor of Business/Commerce/Bachelor of Laws, Bachelor of Economics/Bachelor of Laws.
I hope this helps! :D
I was planning on doing a JD after an arts degree too😭 the only difference is I won't get a high enough atar for undergrad law. Is this a bad idea?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was planning on doing a JD after an arts degree too😭 the only difference is I won't get a high enough atar for undergrad law. Is this a bad idea?
It is not a bad idea. It is simply a lengthier path compared to studying undergraduate law directly, but will still allow you to achieve the same goal of working in law. Another option would be to study law at a university with a lower ATAR requirement then transfer to a different university after 1 year of full-time study, although with the possibility that you may need to complete additional units (my understanding is that USyd and UNSW are more strict regarding credit transfer to their respective Bachelor of Laws for students from other universities), which may also lead to a lengthier path.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)