• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

delta english tutoring (1 Viewer)

oot123

HSC
N/A
any reviews on delta english tutoring? is it really as good as it says it is?

i was going to do the trial for the centre and then i saw it was a $385 3 WEEK TRIAL. it is actually insane.

is it really worth your money? what makes it different from other colleges? other recs for great english tutoring centres?

gmenoza

HSC

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

i was going to do the trial for the centre and then i saw it was a $385 3 WEEK TRIAL. it is actually insane.

is it really worth your money? what makes it different from other colleges? other recs for great english tutoring centres?
Hey oot23,

I'm very glad that you've asked this question. Our three-week trial includes the following components, with nothing further payable if you decide Delta isn't worth continuing with:
  • A one-hour academic consultation involving yourself and your parents with a NSW state-ranking staff member where all parties can discuss their approach to English in the context of the wider HSC and your ultimate goals. Your parents are required to attend for the purposes of transparency: we need them to know what they're spending their hard-earned dollars on and provide them every opportunity to voice their concerns and question our qualifications. We find that many parents turn up at the consultation skeptical, but the vast majority decide to enrol on-the-spot towards the end of the hour.
  • A one-hour individual lesson with a NSW state-ranking staff member who will review your recent progress with assessments and diagnose what your main issues with English are. For many of our students who attend selective schools, the common theme seems to be an inability to understand the importance of engaging with the question throughout their response. The problem is rendered more difficult to address for students who don't have a history of reading for pleasure, but it's very rare that we can't fix this by getting you to practice by setting you very specific clinical exercises that leverage the parts of your work you do well.
  • An essay (preferably one of your recent assessment tasks) marked by a NSW state-ranking staff member with at least 750 words of feedback (you can find samples of marked essays on our website, I'm not allowed to link them here). Our comments will absolutely destroy your work - - with the intention of reconstructing your entire approach over the course of the upcoming term. We'll try our level-best to push you as far into the A-range as possible, but we really need students to understand that the more you're struggling, the more your approach has to be 'dismantled' before we can really help you internalise what the rubric is asking of you.
  • Attendance at three (3) two-hour weekly classes taught by a NSW state-ranking staff member, usually someone more senior. I'll keep this one brief since I'm getting fatigued typing on my phone (lol) but there's plenty of information about our classes, and everything else, that's clearly structured on our website. Our classes are all really small and are text-specific in Year 12. You also get three weeks' of relevant course material (also text-specific for HSC classes) that you get to keep if you decide to walk away during the trial.
  • Unlimited email support provided by a NSW state-ranking member of staff. Access to our facilities for yourself and your friends (even if they don't come to Delta). A generous cooling-off period if you eventually decide to enrol. Administrative support, etc.
I am very, very sorry to hard-working students who can't afford Delta but the costs of running the business are astronomical. Even with the $385 fee, we lose $200+ on every three-week trial enrolment that fails to proceed to permanent enrolment; there are all sorts of operating expenses that people don't even know about, but are necessary to guarantee our students access to the very best support possible throughout the HSC.

the25grad

HSC

I rmbr that after paying the admin charge for the trial and trying to enrol >>> delta then charged me for the weeks of the trial again in an invoice, so those weeks ended up costing about $275 + $200/week <<<. The admin charge has actually gone up to $385 so it’ll be worst for you, trial is scam imo

I wish I saw the review tagged above b4 starting a trial @ delta, valid points

edit: xD forgot to answer ur q, jp english is where it’s at!

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I rmbr that after paying the admin charge for the trial and trying to enrol >>> delta then charged me for the weeks of the trial again in an invoice, so those weeks ended up costing about $275 + $200/week <<<. The admin charge has actually gone up to $385 so it’ll be worst for you, trial is scam imo

I wish I saw the review tagged above b4 starting a trial @ delta, valid points

edit: xD forgot to answer ur q, jp english is where it’s at!
Hey the25grad,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear. If you're still enrolled with us and feel that our offerings are of inadequate value, please email us quoting your post and I'll gladly offer you a refund inclusive of the admin fee you're referring to.

Everyone should absolutely trial numerous tuition centres before committing and indeed, I've heard great things about JP.

EDIT 05/07/24: We've performed a systems review and were unable to find any record of a party expressing an invoicing concern about being re-levied an admin fee [?]. It's been suggested to me by colleagues that given the25grad only has a single post, they're a hoax account from a competitor, but I'm committed to taking their feedback seriously and as such, my above offer stands. The last time a student didn't proceed with a trial period at Delta following a free academic consultation was in March 2024. I'm the first to admit that Delta isn't for everyone, which is why our prices are very clearly displayed on our website (which I'm not permitted to link here).

Last edited:

sydcpu

HSC
Let's debunk a couple of myths (#mythbusters) since iSplicer here fails to address ANY of the claims made by myself a year ago, even though it has gotten quite a bit of traction.

1. First and FOREMOST: The director talks about a refund. This refund is a "one time exclusive offer" thing and you cant count on it applying to you (oot123) or anyone else interested in Delta. {Be careful about his wording!!!!} You can see the Delta Director making a one-off exception for the student above for one reason and one reason only: the25grad has posted this in a public forum where she cannot be censored. The Delta Director has a HABIT of censoring people on Google Reviews, and takes down any negative reviews and blackmails those that cannot be taken down. He has to play nice on this forum.

Look at the 1-star reviews on google if you don't believe me.

2. Cost - Pffft - whenever someone says running a tuition is expensive I challenge them to back up their claims with evidence. Can iSplicer do this? Is he willing to send us the payrolls? I think not, so let us look at how much he pays his sOOOooOOOooo valuable teachers.

I hear you asking, well here's what I've heard. iSplicer (if you're up for it, but I think you prefer to ignore me xDDD) please prove me wrong with hard evidence that most of your staff get paid more than this:

Your Trial:
  1. Academic Consultation: about $80 to the teacher
  2. 1hour Individual Lesson: about $50 - remember how he charges $250+ for this? He only gives $50 of this to the teacher, who hosts, plans and runs the online lesson. The other $200 lines his pockets.
  3. Grading essay - $40 per essay for teacher- and this often takes an hour to do
  4. Classes - $200 to the teacher per class. Classes at Delta are about 10 students up to 20 I've heard from veritable people. Averaging out to $60 per student for 3 classes.

For a grand total of... $230. Wow.

To give you a trial it costs him $230 and he charges you $385 and says that he 'loses' $200. So unless his receptionists are Millionaires and enjoy Unlimited Mimosas and Tapas at work on the house (maybe that's why the one I spoke to last year tried so hard to sell Delta to me), it's ridiculous for him to make that claim. And according to the25grad up there it gets worse since you end up paying an extra $200/week when enrolling.

The total you pay for the trial is $985. It costs Delta $230.

If iSplicer proves me wrong I will eat my words right here, apologise and delete this thread. But I think I'll take my chances ;)

It is really sad to see Delta like this (maybe not for the staff)

oliv36

HSC
Idk, I go there and it's pretty good lol. Definitely a bit overkill if you don't really like English or you're not aiming for a solid Band 6, you can get private tutoring MUCH cheaper but probably not as comprehensive and detailed.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Let's debunk a couple of myths (#mythbusters) since iSplicer here fails to address ANY of the claims made by myself a year ago, even though it has gotten quite a bit of traction.

1. First and FOREMOST: The director talks about a refund. This refund is a "one time exclusive offer" thing and you cant count on it applying to you (oot123) or anyone else interested in Delta. {Be careful about his wording!!!!} You can see the Delta Director making a one-off exception for the student above for one reason and one reason only: the25grad has posted this in a public forum where she cannot be censored. The Delta Director has a HABIT of censoring people on Google Reviews, and takes down any negative reviews and blackmails those that cannot be taken down. He has to play nice on this forum.

Look at the 1-star reviews on google if you don't believe me.

2. Cost - Pffft - whenever someone says running a tuition is expensive I challenge them to back up their claims with evidence. Can iSplicer do this? Is he willing to send us the payrolls? I think not, so let us look at how much he pays his sOOOooOOOooo valuable teachers.

I hear you asking, well here's what I've heard. iSplicer (if you're up for it, but I think you prefer to ignore me xDDD) please prove me wrong with hard evidence that most of your staff get paid more than this:

Your Trial:
  1. Academic Consultation: about $80 to the teacher
  2. 1hour Individual Lesson: about $50 - remember how he charges $250+ for this? He only gives $50 of this to the teacher, who hosts, plans and runs the online lesson. The other $200 lines his pockets.
  3. Grading essay - $40 per essay for teacher- and this often takes an hour to do
  4. Classes - $200 to the teacher per class. Classes at Delta are about 10 students up to 20 I've heard from veritable people. Averaging out to $60 per student for 3 classes.

For a grand total of... $230. Wow.

To give you a trial it costs him $230 and he charges you $385 and says that he 'loses' $200. So unless his receptionists are Millionaires and enjoy Unlimited Mimosas and Tapas at work on the house (maybe that's why the one I spoke to last year tried so hard to sell Delta to me), it's ridiculous for him to make that claim. And according to the25grad up there it gets worse since you end up paying an extra $200/week when enrolling.

The total you pay for the trial is $985. It costs Delta $230.

If iSplicer proves me wrong I will eat my words right here, apologise and delete this thread. But I think I'll take my chances ;)

It is really sad to see Delta like this (maybe not for the staff)
Hey sydcpu,

I'm very sorry that you're upset. You're right, I've made mistakes in the past but I'm just a normal person who works at a hospital; I have no formal training in public relations. Delta is a project of passion and I hurt when my business is unfairly attacked - but I'm getting better at handling this!

I've been active on the BoS forum since 2008 and just want people to do well and be supported. There are definitely some good alternatives to Delta e.g. JP (already mentioned). My suggestion is that students explore all options; we offer a free in-person academic consultation which you can walk away from losing nothing if you're not happy.

carrotsss

HSC
Hey sydcpu,

I'm very sorry that you're upset. You're right, I've made mistakes in the past but I'm just a normal person who works at a hospital; I have no formal training in public relations. Delta is a project of passion and I hurt when my business is unfairly attacked - but I'm getting better at handling this!

I've been active on the BoS forum since 2008 and just want people to do well and be supported. There are definitely some good alternatives to Delta e.g. JP (already mentioned). My suggestion is that students explore all options; we offer a free in-person academic consultation which you can walk away from losing nothing if you're not happy.
you didn’t really respond to the post

oliv36

HSC
you didn’t really respond to the post
Why would he respond? He runs 2 successful tutoring businesses which people are clearly happy paying for. Yeah it's pricey but I get virtually all the help I need with every exam no questions asked, they take their work very seriously

oliv36

HSC
u just happen to create ur account and comment on this forum 10 mins later?
Yeah, just like sydcpu's account that has just 4 posts all savaging Delta. Give it up, they're really good

sydcpu

HSC
Yeah, just like sydcpu's account that has just 4 posts all savaging Delta. Give it up, they're really good
I'm perfectly honest about why I created this very account @oliv36 . You can see my original post where I explain it.

Now here is what I don't pretend to do:
I don't pretend to be a 'real' HSC student who ~just so happens~ to stumble onto a Delta forum and rush to it's defense 15 minutes after making an account on this forum, all within an hour of Delta coming under attack. Now that would be: dishonest!

Now here is what I am here for:
I created this account to warn people that Delta is not what it is like when I was there, Delta English Tutoring - A Warning is my first post and is a summary of everything I wanted to say :D

If you are real, is it not, let's say, Peculiar why iSplicer has not responded to any of my comments in depth? I can go further to say that he has never even contacted me about my complaints privately, let alone address them publicly to defend his company. For someone who was so eager to respond to oot123, isn't that Peculiar?

Thank you for the support. It is time he responded.

the25grad

HSC
Why would he respond? He runs 2 successful tutoring businesses which people are clearly happy paying for. Yeah it's pricey but I get virtually all the help I need with every exam no questions asked, they take their work very seriously
funny xD I get called a fake account with you here. just wanted to warn y’all about the fact the trial isn’t “only” $300 and started a fight..?

curious to hear. what other tutoring company does iSplicer run, and how do you know about it? you stalkin’ him or just so happen to know more about him than normal.

oliv36

HSC
I'm perfectly honest about why I created this very account @oliv36 . You can see my original post where I explain it.

Now here is what I don't pretend to do:
I don't pretend to be a 'real' HSC student who ~just so happens~ to stumble onto a Delta forum and rush to it's defense 15 minutes after making an account on this forum, all within an hour of Delta coming under attack. Now that would be: dishonest!

Now here is what I am here for:
I created this account to warn people that Delta is not what it is like when I was there, Delta English Tutoring - A Warning is my first post and is a summary of everything I wanted to say :D

If you are real, is it not, let's say, Peculiar why iSplicer has not responded to any of my comments in depth? I can go further to say that he has never even contacted me about my complaints privately, let alone address them publicly to defend his company. For someone who was so eager to respond to oot123, isn't that Peculiar?

Thank you for the support. It is time he responded.
I'm not here to defend a wildly-successful tutoring company, what's in it for me in doing that LOL. I just find it peculiar that Delta lives rent-free in your head so intensely; all of your posts are about them. At the end of the day everyone knows they're really, really good, so you just whining about the price gives them free publicity. People aren't stupid to hand over their hard-earned and the only reason I agreed to attend was because there was a cooling-off period and everything. Just stop making Delta a thing!!!

sydcpu

HSC
iSplicer (oliv36) just Give. It. Up.

There is not a single student in this world who works so hard to defend a tutoring college, let along someone who extends that effort to defending the tutoring centre director's personal reputation "He runs 2 successful tutoring businesses which people are clearly happy paying for".

Watching you pretend to be a student is embarassing.

Watching you perfectly recite all the 'selling points' that the receptionists are trained in is even worse. I know people who worked there. They know what the director wants his receptionists to say and you m a g i c a l l y hit every point! In fact, here's a summary of the reasons why you're just the director/working for him dressing up as a Y12 girl:

- There are ZERO students at Delta right now called Olivia, Olive, Oliver or any variation on that - I know your staff and they've checked!
- Your talking points on Extension 2 Math mimick what Delta receptionists say to students, and matches what you say about Extension 2 on your iSplicer account as well. I liek me a lil stalky walky
- You not only defend Delta here, but also go and recommend it in other threads with oddly specific false anecdotes.
- Literally. Have. The. Same. Texting. Style. As. The. Director.
- Noone refers to Delta's science branch as "their sister tuition firm" except the staff. Like, go read your July 20 post again and tell me that doesn't look written by the staff.

Enjoy all this publicity, I am Sure this thread is exactly what delta needs to sell itself. (EDIT: especially at a time when every single admin worker for Delta protest resigned! Happy to invite ex-workers to share more if people are interested)

Change Delta for the better, and maybe people like me wouldn't exist...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)