• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dentistry...how to get in? (1 Viewer)

crackerj

HSC
N/A
Brief Application Info on USYD Dentistry

Basically if you want to get into the USYD dentistry, you firstly need to take GAMSAT and get at least over 50 (mark, not percentile) in every 3 sections. If you get an adequate GAMSAT with 4.0 / 7.0 GPA (pass average), you will get an interview, conducted on early December. Now this is a problem. The interview at Usyd dentistry consists of not only the oral interview itself, but also the pratical aptitude test, where you have to complete 2 tasks within an hour - one is making a cube with wax and the other one is bending a stainless wire (of course not with hands).

Many people seem to fail to get into dentistry not because of the oral interview but the pracical aptitude test (I saw plenty of people like this). So you need to practice for it. Indeed, some people fail because of the oral interview.

The conclusion is that it is way harder for a student to get into the USYD dentistry. If you really have the heart to study dentistry, even if you fail getting into dentistry as an undergraduate, such as melbourne and adelaide, you could try to get into USYD.

For the choice of an undergraduate degree prior to the dentistry, it is up to applicants. A degree in the area of science will indeed help applicants to prepare for GAMSAT and study some sciences which could be covered in dent., but I don't think it's imperative to choose a science degree.

The info is based on my experience and I got into Usyd Dent this year.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Don't drop 3 unit!! whether you are good at it or not....

Let me explain to you why. You see, you've only got 11units. this can be a bit risky.

Furthermore, your 3 unit would actually benefit your 2 unit maths. I would definitely say that having the knowledge of 3 unit maths, your 2 unit maths would benefit from it, no question asked. Since you are doing 11 units, I am pretty sure that that 1 extra unit of maths wouldn't cause you any harm or cost too much of your time (I did 14 untis and what the heck, I still survived!!)

besides, the mark for IPT is always unpredictable. also, 3 unit scaling does go pretty well. :)

DON'T DROP IT!!

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
provided u pass the umat...
Originally posted by Azn fairies
(that is if u mnake the GMAT test the first time :p)
GAMSAT, UMAT is for Medicine (Undergrad Med Admissions Test).

See crackerj's post, as it is correct. :)

Mike85

My sister just got accepted to dentistry at Sydney Uni. She has completed her 3 yr degree of Medical Science, sat the GAMSAT earlier this year, got offered an interview, THEN finally got a letter saying she was in...

It's a lot of work and an awful long time (she has 4 years of uni to go) but if you really want to do it and set that goal, you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)