description and type of workload in economics (1 Viewer)

Ncm

HSC
Can someone please thoroughly describe their workload in economics? Is more maths or theoretical?
Im worried about the maths part being too difficult, but, i guess I'm alright at maths. What type of maths should you be strong at?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You don't really have to worry about the maths in economics for the hsc, but most uni economics courses have 3 unit maths as assumed knowledge. I would say personally speaking that it is quite a bit of content, especially topic 1 of the HSC course which is basically content, content and more content so in a way similar to business studies for topic 1. However overall the course does have a fair few concepts, and you shouldn't be to worried about the level of maths as long as you are a logical thinker.

In my class, only myself another girl do general maths, whilst the rest of the class is doing 2/3 unit. This was overwhelming for me at the start of yr 11, however as it turned out i am ranked 3rd and the girl is ranked 4th so that proves you don't have to be boss at maths to go well in HSC economics, uni would be a different story.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
It's just simple maths really, if you can confidently do addition/subtraction etc, you'll be fine

ShayK

HSC
It is simple maths. HSC Economics is mostly theory.. now thinking only time I used Maths in Economics was when we were doing the simple multiplier.

enoilgam

HSC
Can someone please thoroughly describe their workload in economics? Is more maths or theoretical?
Im worried about the maths part being too difficult, but, i guess I'm alright at maths. What type of maths should you be strong at?
The maths isnt very difficult at all with HSC economics - as slyhunter said, it is pretty much basic stuff. Prelim economics is more theory based, whereas the HSC course was more applied. Overall, I found the workload for economics to be quite high - there is a huge amount of content and it really takes quite a bit of work to stay on top of it. Thats pretty much my take on it.

HSC
I've always described economics as a mixture of the analytical and skills in essay writing of English and content-heavy subjects, with the logical aspects of maths in the calculations, graphs and equations that need to be remembered. I actually found it quite easy to study for as long as you know your content, so if you're comfortable with writing practice essays and responding to questions, you should be fine! :)

starshine02

HSC
I don't feel like there's much maths involved in economics - it's just more of the occasional thing. There's also a lot of theory involved in economics but that shouldn't be too hard as long as you keep up in your class. Like Drifting95 said, as long as you think logically it should be alright.

hasdhil

HSC
So far I have only completed the year 11 course, I'm just about to finish the 1st topic for the HSC course and so far there hasn't being that much maths. It is pretty basis, I remember finding different rates like the amount of people in the country that are working and you actually get formula to do it, so you have to simply put it into the calculator. It is more theory based and thinking logically about situations anf then being able to write these concepts out in essay form. Sometimes it is quite a heavy load with the content and theory but they are also connected in some ways.

ahdil33

HSC
imo if you understand the content and have good exam skills Economics can be one of the easiest workloads. Almost becomes as simple as reading the textbook + maybe making notes and then just writing a few essay plans.

Ncm

HSC
Thanks guys,what reading can you recommend to prepare for yr 11?

planino

HSC
Read + stay updated from e.g. business section of the SMH (better do that myself now hahahha) :)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks guys,what reading can you recommend to prepare for yr 11?
continually check this site for its leading edge briefs: http://leadingedge.com.au/

To prep for year 11, Id just start to go over the year 11 textbook eg: read and highlight, read again and take notes.
For extended reading id subscribe to the monthly newsletters by leading edge http://leadingedge.com.au/publications/test-monthly-update/ they have heaps of useful info.
However, in order to understand the extended reading you may need to have a decent understanding of year 11 and/or year 12 content. Thus, id leave the extended reading till year 12 or until you can understand what you are reading.

Hope that helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)