Design & Tech Makes Me Mad! (1 Viewer)

ElK

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ok peoples, im a lil screwed here... ive been doing DAT since yr 7 and ive always done reli well - i especially love the practical work, but have always produced reli good folios too... was pumped about fdoing it for the hsc! now im in prelim yr, and am hating it and want to drop it - my teacher says he has not doubts that my design and produce abillity is up to scratch, but my portfolio work is where he thinks i will loose marks... im trying to decide whether it is worth all the stress and work load and am trying to make up my mind on whether to drop it or not?
it is such a tough subject with soooooo much work! more than any of my other subjects...
am i just being stupid - i dont know if i will need it or not - cos i dont know what i want to do or get into when im finished!!!
elk

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hmm. depends on what subjects your doing, whether you'll do good in it, and what you want to do in university.

as having DAT would help you in the design courses in uni .. but is relatively useless in courses such as : Commerce, Science, etc.

so yeah, depends what you wanna do.

HSC
Shit.. never thought that i'd see the day when someone complains about D&T being too hard =/

"my teacher says he has not doubts that my design and produce abillity is up to scratch"

you'll come up with something good in the Major Design P?

" but my portfolio work is where he thinks i will loose marks"

prove the him wrong, improve.

n3ver_again

HSC
Hey
I was in the same situation about half way through year 11 (I'm in year 12 now).
I have also done Design & Tech since year 7, and I love the subject lol. I wanted to drop it but have persevered with it, I think you need to be able to say you have people around you who are willing to help and support you, talk to your teacher, is he/she willing to spend extra time with you to get your folio work up to scratch? are you willing to put in extra work? I agree with you it is alot of work, but if you love the subject, you're going to do well in it no matter what :) If you don't know what you want to do next year it's good to have a variety of subjects. Anyway, just some thoughts :)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
ElK said:
my teacher says he has not doubts that my design and produce abillity is up to scratch, but my portfolio work is where he thinks i will loose marks
It's not really a matter of what your teacher thinks. Your teacher isn't doing the HSC. The question is, are you willing to put in effort in this subject to improve on your portfolio work? Just because your teacher says he thinks you will loose marks doesn't mean you will. It's all on you personally to do the work and get it up to standard.
ElK said:
... im trying to decide whether it is worth all the stress and work load
No one said the HSC was going to be easy. It's bound to get even worse as we progress through the year. You can't expect anything to be stress free and/or have a minimal workload.
ElK said:
am i just being stupid
Not stupid, just confused.

HSC
err.. yeah, if your school makes d&t really hard for you.. then i don't really want to imagine what the other courses are like. =/
i'd say stick to it, get used to it and better yourself.

BrendanP

HSC
Im in the same boat as EIK, i had been doing DAT since yr7 and loved it, even made some of my own things at home in my spare time.
And now im just not liking it as i used to, its not the teacher or the people in class, i dunno what it is.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
BrendanP said:
Im in the same boat as EIK, i had been doing DAT since yr7 and loved it, even made some of my own things at home in my spare time.
And now im just not liking it as i used to, its not the teacher or the people in class, i dunno what it is.
It got too easy and you're now bored in it?

BrendanP

HSC
its just going so slow!!!
Its not overly easy...it just bores me a bit...
oh well im stickin it out for 2 more terms, then will contemplate dropping it

BrendanP

HSC
well the first 7 weeks atleast was theory in the first term, since we've gone back this term we've just been revising and taking notes for the tests.

We are half way thru making a soap holder....yay....*sarcasm*

HSC
BrendanP said:
well the first 7 weeks atleast was theory in the first term, since we've gone back this term we've just been revising and taking notes for the tests.
:mad1: lucky you.
BrendanP said:
lol. we're making some design which includes hooks which hold stuff like keys... mine's a wooden saw design which holds metal rulers

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
BrendanP said:
We made a duck way back in yr 7. And a CD holder and a pencil holder.

ElK

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hey all,
thanks for the replies - all useful advice, some more comforting than others - hehe!

yeah i agree with brendan - and am glad to have some other people in the same boat with me too!

its sorta the same thing again and again - but it should be easy when youve done it soo many times - but its not... that makes me sound reli dumb!!! lol

but anyways - thank you soo much for all the advice - so relief-ful!!

yeah - we are doing sterling silver jewellery atm - its harder than it sounds actually. i like working with timber personally

ive been talking to this OT about ideas for my MDP for this yr - which we are starting soon- anyone got any intersting ideas yet?
i was thinking about re designing a sport centre... i dunno though - not my best skill area though...

im just blabbering - sorry
elk

HSC
ElK said:
ive been talking to this OT about ideas for my MDP for this yr - which we are starting soon- anyone got any intersting ideas yet?
i was thinking about re designing a sport centre... i dunno though - not my best skill area though...
That sounds good. :uhhuh: Myself, i'm thinking about doing something along the lines of an architectural piece. I'm probably more interested in a completely new design than a re-design/extension.

vizman

HSC
lol D&T brings back memories of 7 - 10, i was never that good at it but this was compounded by the fact that our D&T department has the most incompetent, and frankly, shit, teachers

HSC
vizman said:
lol D&T brings back memories of 7 - 10, i was never that good at it but this was compounded by the fact that our D&T department has the most incompetent, and frankly, shit, teachers
hahaha
I <3 the faculty. Bunch of male teachers who love cutting wood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)