• Detailed notes

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Brief notes

Votes: 17 34.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mac1996

HSC
I heard from a number of sources that study notes should be very simple containing a few words for each bullet point. Im in the process of making very detailed notes that I would revise everyday for business studies. Can very detailed notes still be remembered considering that I will revise them everyday?
Vote and comment:)
Thanks

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I think they can.

Usually my strategy for making notes is to fit everything I need to know within a set. It has saved me from having to waste time and go through the textbook.

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
This may seem excessive but I did both.

I tend to learn better when I teach myself, so let's say for Chemistry, a module, I learn myself and in that instance, I make extremely lengthy notes that essentially are like study guides.
However, when I revise them, I make extremely simplisitic notes, maybe containing like dot points of three-four words.

I think it depends on how you take upon working.
However, for myself personally, I would rather detailed notes than extremely brief notes.
:)

Aysce

HSC
I used detailed notes and I still managed to remember the content until my HSC exams. Although, I mor eso understood the content rather than rote learned so that is an obvious advantage and a contributing factor as to why I guess I "remember" it well.

enoilgam

HSC
As I have said ad nauseam on this site, study is about finding what works for you. So find out which method of note taking works best for you and employ that strategy. Personally I used detailed notes, although if I had my time again for economics, I probably would have had a more brief set to compliment my main notes.

RishBonjour

HSC
Depends on subject. I'm a fan of points that I use to initiate my thought process for certain topic/idea.
For biology- notes were not too detailed and not too short. (lots of diagrams + my own drawings on hard copy since I'm a visual learner lol)
phy- short
eco- relative to state ranking notes it was EXTREMELY short, but it works for me. (also, a Boser a while back suggested a mind map for this - didn't really do a mind map but made just points over 5-6 pages on the whole course - remembered most of it)

what ever works for you. Some people like remembering chunks of info.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
As enoilgam said and I've said heaps of times, whatever works for you. Me personally, I don't even write my own notes- I just read a few sets of other peoples notes (which are very detailed) and go from there. That works for me. You need to experiment and find what works for you

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it depends on you as an individual. With that said, the bare minimum would be having keywords or very short sentences that create a "spark" in your mind so you can remember something.

jl1

HSC
What I do is, I start off with detailed notes, and I condense those notes after I completely learn the content so it's just main points and whatnot. By the time the exam comes, I'd actually re-write my notes by hand so it was good for me to have brief notes.

madharris

HSC
N/A
What i did was write detailed notes throughout the year - learn this
Then about a month before the exam (not including hsc), I summarised those notes and just went off that.

forgot

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, i think its better to have more detailed notes, especially for business studies, considering that you have to include case studies and what not. And it saves you time later on, because some notes go hand in hand with other dot points in syllabus.
And if you are going to read them everyday, then having deatiled notes will advantage you cause you constantly referring to them and know what you should not in detail or brief.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I had 200 pages of notes in total for the hsc ( typed) and it took me ages to read. Lol. P.s. I couldnt remember the lot.

Anyway, my point is , if you're not going to remember them, why bother ?

RishBonjour

HSC
I had 200 pages of notes in total for the hsc ( typed) and it took me ages to read. Lol. P.s. I couldnt remember the lot.

Anyway, my point is , if you're not going to remember them, why bother ?
Thats a nice amount. I don't think you are supposed to remember everything lol. Just key points, unless you have a photographic memory or started studying from year 10.
my bio notes were 80 pages, phy was like 60, eco was 120 (mainly just stats + recent shit)

Shadowless

HSC
thats a nice amount. I don't think you are supposed to remember everything lol. Just key points, unless you have a photographic memory or started studying from year 10.
My bio notes were 80 pages, phy was like 60, eco was 120 (mainly just stats + recent shit)
what in the world.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Thats a nice amount. I don't think you are supposed to remember everything lol. Just key points, unless you have a photographic memory or started studying from year 10.
my bio notes were 80 pages, phy was like 60, eco was 120 (mainly just stats + recent shit)
nice text books you got there... :)

HSC
I dunno kinda both for me.

Math: Brief with Example.
Chemistry: Detailed notes and then sum up.
Biology: Detailed, May sum up in holidays.
Food Tech: Detailed in Point Form

I have a book for each and then I'll probably sum up by typing as I find it easier if I have time..

p3rf3ction

HSC
If your like Examine, just take everyones trial papers and dont give them back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)