Development studies and combined degree (1 Viewer)

freaksoutalot

HSC
I was just wondering if the Development studies major would be practical for a combined bach arts / bach asia pacifc degree?

or would i be limited in regards to including courses from the school of eco and business etc etc?

just a bit confused by what i am reading on the ANU site re: course and degree requirements.

*~*rosie*~*

HSC
Hey,
I'm currently studying a combined Bachelor arts and Asia and the pacific. My major in my Arts is development studies.

It’s a great program.
The beauty of a cross faculty major like development studies, is that you can really custom make your degree and you have so many different options to choose from.
There are so many great development studies courses and the Lecturers are wonderful.

What’s your major in your Asian Studies?
For my non-language major, I’m currently majoring in South East Asian studies – (Though you won’t need to decide on your non-language major for a while, ad there’s 2 compulsory 1st year intro to Asian studies courses – which are actually pretty cool.)
This is the 1st Semester course – ANU - STUDYAT - Individual and Society A

I’m studying Indonesian for my language major.

Here are some examples of great development studies courses:
ANU - STUDYAT - Soc of Third World Dev
This is one of my all time favourite courses. It definitely opens your eyes - The lecturer in this course is absolutely amazing.

ANU - STUDYAT - SE Asia Field School

ANU - STUDYAT - Indonesia: Pol Soc Devel

ANU - STUDYAT - Intro to Internat Rels

Thwe above subject is a first year course- it gives you a great grounding in later year development studies subjects.

If you have any questions about anything to do with the courses, Uni or Canberra in general please ask.
Good Luck and enjoy.

buyhercandy

HSC
Hey,

If you're doing a combined degree, you can only take subjects from those Colleges because there's no room for extra electives. So if you're doing Arts/Asia-Pacific studies, you can only take Arts or Asia-Pacific subjects.

So yes, you could definitely do Development Studies as one of your Arts majors. And that would work perfectly with Asia-Pacific Studies. In fact, I'd really recommend doing it.

I've actually just completed the Asian Studies degree at ANU, and I'm now working for them, so you should send me an email if you'd like to talk about how it all works: kate.walton AT anu DOT edu DOT au (replace ATs and DOTs with their actual symbols)

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)