Diagnostic radiography???? (1 Viewer)

brodiee

HSC
Hey im interested in doing diagnostic radiography next year at uni, just wondering what it is like. I'm applying at newcastle hoping to get in *fingers crossed!* but how is the course structured? eg how many days a week? how many lectures/pracs a week? also when do we begin work placement? thanks to all who reply :)

Sarebs

HSC
Hi, I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I think you can go onto UNCLE's website and get an idea of what subjects you'll be doing S1 and S2, and if I remember rightly, you can see how they fit into a timetable (how many lectures, what times, etc). I think this was for UNCLE but it's worth a try anyway - the UAC guides have basically no info haha!

But now I've realised I want to do radiation therapy or nuclear medicine - 5 yrs at USYD, great :( !

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Yeah, what the hells with that? i've been looking at this course since year 10 and now i noticed the "B. Applied Science(Radiation Therapy)" isn't in the UAC guide anymore..or the usyd site.
noooooooooooo

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
why go to newcastle when you can go USYD? =P

I'm not studying at newcastle uni but I imagine their course can't be too different from USYD because its all regulated by the AIR. Radiography and its accredited courses are regulated by the Australian Institute of Radiography, and they make it mandatory that all radiography students go on clinical placements. At USYD, you go on a 5-day work experience between first and second semesters. In 2nd year you do 3X 6 week block, and then 2X 6 week blocks in 3rd year.

I remember in first year it was quite hectic - many new things to learn, second year a bit lighter, and third year is much more practice and research-based because you already know the gist of everything. You do 4 subjects every semester and these are 6 credit points each.
In first year you'd have a five-day week (if I remember correctly), and then four-day weeks in second year, and three-day week for third year. Yes third year is quite bludgy.

Sarebs and KnifeySpoony:
RT and NM are now post-graduate degrees at USYD. The undergraduate degrees have been scrapped due to over-supply of graduates and not enough jobs to go around. Radiography however, still offers the 3 year undergraduate course.

Last edited:

joeyT93

HSC
Hey fallen_angel, I was wandering if you would know whether second round offers are possible to get in for masters of diagnostic radiography?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)