Diagrams for the Solvay Process and Contact Process (1 Viewer)

Ekman

HSC
Do we need to memorise both diagrams?
Not really, they wont ask you to sketch the process. However it is essential to know the chronology and equipment of the steps of the process. For example: "In the Contact Process, Sulfur is pumped into a furnace and is oxidised to produce SO2 (Provide Equations). The SO2 is the then pumped into the converter where it is further oxidised in equilibrium to form SO3..."

kawaiipotato

HSC
Not really, they wont ask you to sketch the process. However it is essential to know the chronology and equipment of the steps of the process. For example: "In the Contact Process, Sulfur is pumped into a furnace and is oxidised to produce SO2 (Provide Equations). The SO2 is the then pumped into the converter where it is further oxidised in equilibrium to form SO3..."
Thanks. My teacher said we should memorise them but I have yet to see a HSC question asking for it specifically.

Ekman

HSC
Thanks. My teacher said we should memorise them but I have yet to see a HSC question asking for it specifically.
Possibly memorising the diagrams can come in handy for knowing the steps. For example, I draw my solvay process diagrams as if it is like a table, to show the simultaneous nature of the actual process itself (where CaCO3 is being burnt at the same time as the brine is being ammoniated).

eko367

HSC
I agree, I think you don't have to memorise it specifically for a Q in the HSC. However, for some people, memorizing the diagram (especially for Solvay) can be really useful when recalling equations. For me, I memorised a flow chart for Solvay, but not for the contact process. I made my own flow chart, using different sources, which was more personalised, but it still took me a while to remember. Also, a way to more easily remember the contact process (For me) is:
Fat Cows Are Dumb
F= furnace C= converter A= absorber D = diluter
Then, it becomes easier as you just have to memorise what occurs in each. I always had trouble just memorising the names

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)