Did I get scammed on Ebay (about a printer)? (1 Viewer)

Pepperpie

HSC
sorry this is going to be quite long and I’m going to ramble a bit. I’m not sure if this is the right place to post but I’ll give it a try ^_^
Basically my old printer ran out of ink and as inks are so expensive nowadays, one would think it would be easier and cheaper to buy a whole new printer instead and so I did… I ordered a ‘new and unused’ printer off Ebay from a private seller a week ago and thought I could pick up since I lived only 10 mins away but they said that was only for bulky items (which I thought was dodgy) so I paid extra for delivery to my house. It arrived two days ago and was missing all four of the the ink cartridges (like what??). I later found that on the info guide sheet which was folded up and placed inside an envelope with the usb/power cables, someone had crossed out the ink cartridge diagram of the ‘what components are included’ and written neatly that ‘Australia Post has removed ink cartridges due to a leakage’ in black marker. I don’t know whether aus post did actually remove all four inks because they really were leaking or if it was the seller decided to use up the ink and then sell the printer thus not offering the pickup option (the printer was not in original packaging). This is because if aus post had written that, I would think they would have wrapped tape around the box saying something like ‘aus post opened’ or written a note rather than discreetly writing it on the info guide then placing it in a glued envelope with the cables plus there were no signs of ink leakages at all. This envelope was then hidden among those packing foam peanut things.
I contacted the seller and requested for a return and they replied like two days later by saying that the listing states ‘no returns’ and that “The price is still remarkably good compared to other offers” (mind you, I bought the printer for $135 including post and good guys is selling the exact same for $225+$50 cash back which makes it $175 and it also comes with ink and now I have to pay an additional $200 for ink!! So angry mann). Then they go on to say “You may have to get some cartridges - they were never said to be included” (wtf the listing never said that ink cartridges were not included and one would assume and it was even on the info guide that it’s supposed to come with ink!)
However, the seller did go on to say they could “assist with a couple of cartridges [but they] will end up being out of pocket” which makes it seem like they don’t even want to and if they do maybe compensate by only 1 or 2 and I’m still not too happy about that. So I have to figure whether Australia Post really did remove the cartridges and what I should do now to respond to this seller. I can’t just let this go so easily. Do any of you guys know if I could still get a refund through buyer protection on ebay or any advice/suggestions on how to respond to the seller perhaps would be great!
Thanks guys <3

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
If you paid for the printer with PayPal, you can be protected/insured for these issues.

Pepperpie

HSC
true its better than paying so much for the genuine ones, I guess I'll have to if they don't refund me

I requested for a refund on ebay and they haven't replied so I'm not sure if I should file a dispute on paypal or are they the same?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)