• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

did you know chem scales higher than phyisc if you did when did you find out (1 Viewer)

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
i recentally found out that chem scales higher than physics when i was comparing course scaling in the SAM. what i found out shocked me dan dan dan lOl.

chem scales higher than phyiscs just to let you people know cause i didnt know till i finished me hsc
its wierd physics is harder than chem but chem scales higher

and physics so overated its scaling is like the same as maths2unit abit more but yeah not much

i remember you needed band 5 in sc to do physics and band 4 to do chem
and teachers saying blah blah so hard so hard ><"" its not as hard as bloodii 3unit maths

me121

Premium Member
HSC
dodgyv said:
i recentally found out that chem scales higher than physics when i was comparing course scaling in the SAM. what i found out shocked me dan dan dan lOl.

chem scales higher than phyiscs just to let you people know cause i didnt know till i finished me hsc
its wierd physics is harder than chem but chem scales higher

and physics so overated its scaling is like the same as maths2unit abit more but yeah not much

i remember you needed band 5 in sc to do physics and band 4 to do chem
and teachers saying blah blah so hard so hard ><"" its not as hard as bloodii 3unit maths
scaling is NOT a direct measure of how hard a subject is (however it may imply its difficulty).

and saying that "physics is harder than chem" is very subjective. it depends on you. some find it harder, some find it easier.

and i found this out some time in year 11 when i was reading though the techincal scaling report issued by UAC.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Not true completely.

Chem scales mroe when marks are 93 or less, above that Physics scales ridiculously more than Chem

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tommykins said:
Not true completely.

Chem scales mroe when marks are 93 or less, above that Physics scales ridiculously more than Chem
Ahh yes. I forgot to point that out. Scaling is not linear, so for very high marks, chem may scale higher, but for lower marks, phys may scale more.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
tommykins said:
Not true completely.

That's not completely true, whether you're talking about raw or aligned marks anyway. Assuming raw marks are scaled up in this case, higher marks have little room to scale any higher. The maximum scaled mark you can get in Chemistry or Physics is 100. Any mark that is close to the top mark, will scale just below 100 regardless of whether it is Chemistry or Physics. So with higher percentiles (i.e. higher ranks) the scaled marks are usually pretty similar between a large number of courses.

To give an example, from the 2007 Table A3(http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A3.pdf), the 99th percentile of Physics is an aligned mark of 94.0 and 99th percentile of Chemistry is 95.0 in 2007. (Remember scaling for the UAI depends on ranks not marks)

The scaled mark for Chemistry corresponding to the top 1% is 93.6 and the scaled mark for Physics corresponding to the top 1% is 92.6.

The top aligned mark for Chemistry in 2007 was 98.0 and for Physics in 2007 it was also 98.0, both corresponded to a scaled mark of 100.0.

So there's not much of a difference here in the very top ranks.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Sorr,y don't know why i added a ridiculously there =).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)