didn't apply for a cadetship- should I still do commerce? (1 Viewer)

dwk72

HSC
Hi all,

Just finished the HSC (atar probably going to be around 94-97) and looking to do a commerce degree commencing next year. Though I thought accounting would always be an option, I didn't apply for a cadetship as I had other preferences around that time of year.
So since I've obviously missed out on applying for one, is it worth pursuing accounting given that I won't have the experience of some? Will there be opportunities in the early years of the degree to commence cadetships? Or should I pursue a double degree in law?

Cheers

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Heaps of people nowdays apply for cadetships in there 1st year (some firms very rarely also take 2nd years), not all firms cater for 1st year cadets however at least half the big 4 in each year have some positions for 1st year applicants and many smaller firms recruit 1st year cadets as well, just have a look on SEEK during the uni period (and even now).

Majority of people who do accounting major don't actually do a cadetship so don't worry even if you don't get one - it's just one path - the big 4 and other firms take heaps of accounting major peeps for their internships (and development days now), and a lot of the actual accounting majors students are international who you won't compete for the majority of jobs early on as they don't have their PR's yet (or never get one)

That covers it briefly.

turntaker

HSC
what is the big 4?
Seriously someone explain

Last edited:

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
In addition to what Chronost said, some firms also offer up positions shortly after results are released.

A team might need to increase their capacity, other cadets leave and people do pull out if they decide to study something else following results release.

Look on seek for undergraduate and cadetship roles.

catsandcacti

HSC
Cadetships is the only path to getting a job, I think EY was the only firm this year to even offer a cadetship position. I would even say that they favour 1st years, just because it shows commitment to the commerce/accounting discipline. Also, Big 4s have programs catered for 1st year uni students e.g. EY Game Changers and Deloitte Development Program, which gives you a leg up in securing a vacationer internship and then the grad job. Actually, Deloitte's cadetship program is only offered to first years.

In terms of commerce v. comm/law, it really depends on your interests and your ATAR. Since you mentioned a 94-97, I'm going to assume that you're looking to transfer into law or go for MACQ/UTS? I can only give you UNSW/USYD perspective because I'm more familiar with that - and I have found comm/law to be too restrictive for your comm studies. You have only 1 choice in major, you can hardly supplement an accounting major with other subjects so you have to decide on your passions early on. Also, you must be committed to a heck load of readings for law. A straight commerce degree however, is quite short and I would say a tad more competitive? This is based on the penultimate internship perspective because your penultimate year is your 2nd, whilst the comm/law penultimate is the 4th (and you've already finished the comm degree). So from a employer's view, they are more likely to take the student who's finished their commerce degree than the 2nd year uni student.

Also, a final opinion from me, I would mention that a comm or comm/law degree will give you more freedom. Of course there are benefits in joining a firm for work experience, but you will miss the uni lifestyle which has its own perks (e.g. networking and leadership positions in societies).

I hope that gave you a bit more insight! Good luck for your HSC :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Cadetships are NOT the only way to get a job. It's just one of many paths and doesn't guarantee success or anything like that. At the end of the day study what you are interested in and where you plan to work; missing out on a cadetship in the scheme of things won't really matter.

esaitchkay

HSC
Cadetships is the only path to getting a job, I think EY was the only firm this year to even offer a cadetship position. I would even say that they favour 1st years, just because it shows commitment to the commerce/accounting discipline. Also, Big 4s have programs catered for 1st year uni students e.g. EY Game Changers and Deloitte Development Program, which gives you a leg up in securing a vacationer internship and then the grad job. Actually, Deloitte's cadetship program is only offered to first years.
Whilst it's evident that you have the best of intentions in providing your opinion, I'd have to say it's a bit misleading for students looking for advice...

From a firm's perspective, if their entire grad pool consisted of individuals from the same uni, background, work experience, ECs and interests, their talent pool would be seriously lacking.

Obviously if you're working a firm as a cadet, it'll be easier to get in as a grad at the firm, but it's not the only way, nor is it any easier.

There's more than one way to do anything.

Furthermore, if you're interested in comm/law and receive an offer, I would recommend taking it. Most uni's go through the foundations of comm and maybe 1-2 law subjects in the first year. If you find that law isn't for you, then you can drop it without wasting too much time.

tl;dr: +1 what seremify said

dwk72

HSC
Hi all,

I've been successful in gaining some employment pertaining to sales\admin with pay similar to that of a cadetship. Also the location is better. Given that I will work full-time during holidays and part-time during the semester (ie. 2-4 days depending on timetabling), would a double degree in law\business at UTS be manageable (I understand that UTS offer both night classes)? Also, is a double degree in business \ law any more intense than a single degree or is it just that it is longer?

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)