Difference between 3unit and 2unit Maths (1 Viewer)

lcx

HSC
hey
can any1 assist me in whether i should to 3 or 2units math? i no that its lik more work etc. but is it worth it to do in the hsc? is it extremly hard to get a band 6? i was considering dropping to 2unit but not sure yetas i havnt trialed 3unit yet. is the work load lik 3 times or sumthing?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Just try out extension 1 at first, it is basically an extension of the work you do in 2 unit maths, with a couple of new topics in the mix. If you're capable of doing very well in 2 unit maths, then you should at least try out extension 1 maths. If you find that you cannot cope with the work, it is a lot easier to drop down to 2 unit rather than to try and get into extension 1 halfway in the year if you decide you want to do it.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
lcx said:
hey
can any1 assist me in whether i should to 3 or 2units math? i no that its lik more work etc. but is it worth it to do in the hsc? is it extremly hard to get a band 6? i was considering dropping to 2unit but not sure yetas i havnt trialed 3unit yet. is the work load lik 3 times or sumthing?
The workload depends on how good and persistant at maths you are.

I also found that doing ext 1 gave me a mini head start in learning the 2u topics. Also because you do more maths you reinforce different ways of thinking eg graphing, permutations and combinations helps with HSC probability and doing roots in polynomials help somewhere. So yeah give it a go and see how you do.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
In the first few weeks of Term 1, see how it goes. The workload is not 3x, jsut some additional topics to the 2U syllabus. If you put in effort, determination and focus, then you could do very well in Extension 1.

However, if you're VERY struggling, and you're not coping with the work or the workload, then drop back to 2U maths.

The-Noodle

HSC
The way I see it is if you are getting 90% or more in your 2 unit maths tests, then 3 unit is worth the effort. But obviously you don't have that luxury yet 'cause you haven't done any 2 unit tests, but a good indicator is your school certificate. If you got a band 6 then definitely choose it. If you get a band 5, then it's your choice but you will need to work that little bit harder.

Personally, I find 3 unit okay, it's just the amount of exam time that's hardest. In my prelims last year I didn't answer 17 marks worth and ended up getting 77% so effectively I got 77/83. So for me it's not so much how hard, but the amount of time.

Always trial it first, and keep it until the first exam maybe?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Mathematics Extension 1 builds on 2 unit Mathematics work and is therefore more difficult than 2 unit by itself. The HSC exam and assessments for Extension 1 can include anything from the 2 unit course as well as topics unique to Extension 1 only. Workload depends on the school and your own abilities. As with any extension course, the workload is greater than the 2 unit course on its own. If you take Extension 1, just be prepared to stretch your mathematical skills and thinking a lot more because you must understand the concepts very well to get band E4.

redom

HSC
Like the others say, Try it out. The first assessment may be abit of a shakeup cause its new...but after a while people tend to improve. A guy got 45%(2nd last) in his first yr 11 assessment in our skool and now his coming second (~80%).
Advantages are it helps in two unit...possibly giving u the edge over other 2unit students and its a real good scalor!! Also if u like maths it may become your favourite subject:).
Not a 3X workload. Its manageable if you study effectively.
Goodluck with your choice.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
I agree with everyone else.
Give it a shot, if you can cope with it, continue, if you can't, then drop - no worries. Personally, I think 3U is more enjoyable than 2U, merely because the topics in it are much more enojoyable. That's just an opinion though =P
Keep up the good work !

kathrynso

HSC
Doing Extension I maths is very rewarding and it does help with your Mathematics course. We had all our Ext I kids come top 10 in the Maths course. So it's good.
Like the others said, be prepared to keep working and if you don't understand anything, ask! Circle geometry is lame =P
You might do so well that you might consider Extension II - I wish I picked it up now....

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
^ sounds smart. :)

i suck at maths but im doing 3U ..... better ask lots of questions. :)

powcy

HSC
People who've posted are all very helpful and kind, aren't you all? :)

But yes. 3U is an extension of 2U. I did 3U and found it immesely valuable in assiting my understanding of 2U. Many in my 3U class does 2U a lot better than many in the 2U class, regardless of whether they consider themselves good at maths or not. I think most of the 3U class also topped 2U. I guess if you work hard and actually get 3U, 2U is a breeze.

But you have to get it first. As others have mentioned, ask questions until you get it. And do lots and lots and LOTS of practice. A regular routine of maths excercises is essential for keeping on top of 3U.

I personally enjoyed 3U; despite the hard work, it's all worth it.

Oh and don't forget that 3U scales very well for the UAI. ;)

Last edited:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Is being able to do most of the extension exercises in the Cambridge 3 unit maths textbook a good indicator of whether I should consider extension 2 mathematics in year 12?

Last edited:

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Mark576 said:
Is being able to do most of the extension exercises in the Cambridge 3 unit maths textbook a good indicator of whether I should consider extension 2 mathematics in year 12?
Indicator: not sure...? Although I hear they are hard questions and doing most of them shows you've probably got good mathematical ability...
It would probably be best to wait until after year 11 to decide. (after you've actually done the ext 1 course and all the assessent task.) :)

Last edited:

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
dr baby beanie said:
Indicator: not sure...? Although I hear they are hard questions and doing most of them shows you've probably got good mathematical ability...
It would probably be best to wait until after year 11 to decide. (after you've actually done the ext 1 course and all the assessent task.) :)
Yeah, I know, just soo curious as to how hard extension 2 maths would be.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
They are certainly difficult, however they shouldn't be used as an indicator of how well you'll be able to do extension 2 maths.

As people have said, extension 2 maths makes extension 1 maths look easy. So you want to be performing well in extension 1 maths to have a good chance of doing well in extension 2 maths. Read the thread in the extension 2 maths forum for further information.

lcx

HSC
ok thankyou all for ur advise
yeh i think i'll stick ext maths out till maybe the first exams and see how i go.
also in reference to that ext 2 question, isn ext2 suppsoed to be more therotical type learnin and very differnt to ext 1 maths?

L

law!

I do three unit maths year 11 and you basically do the same topics as in 2 unit though you do harder questions and some new things as well. REMEMBER: 3unit maths means that you'll do a 2unit and 3 unit test for each exam you have! (Yes, that's a major downfall! :burn: )

IF YOU HAVE A BAD 2 UNIT TEACHER DO 3 UNIT TO HELP (if your 3 unit teacher is bad them you can always drop it)

I'd try it because you learn all year 11 and 12 stuff for 2 unit in the one year with 3 unit so if you drop it when year 12 starts... 2 unit will be a breeze)!

Though maths IS ALWAYS HARD!!!

TRY IT!

James747

HSC
law! said:
I do three unit maths year 11 and you basically do the same topics as in 2 unit though you do harder questions and some new things as well. REMEMBER: 3unit maths means that you'll do a 2unit and 3 unit test for each exam you have! (Yes, that's a major downfall! :burn: )

IF YOU HAVE A BAD 2 UNIT TEACHER DO 3 UNIT TO HELP (if your 3 unit teacher is bad them you can always drop it)

I'd try it because you learn all year 11 and 12 stuff for 2 unit in the one year with 3 unit so if you drop it when year 12 starts... 2 unit will be a breeze)!

Though maths IS ALWAYS HARD!!!

TRY IT!
U hv a different teacher for 2 and 3 unit? o_O

Well, yeah, as already said. 2 unit and 2 unit are quite similar, just that you work on harder questions and at a much much faster rate in 3 unit.

cl3nta

HSC
James747 said:
U hv a different teacher for 2 and 3 unit? o_O

Well, yeah, as already said. 2 unit and 2 unit are quite similar, just that you work on harder questions and at a much much faster rate in 3 unit.
yeh agreed. diff teacher for 2u/3u is not practical. When I did 4u for example, we moved from topic to topic regardless if it was a 2u/3u/4u class. Now i'm in 3u and it's the same deal (too many humanities:rofl:) So regardless of a 2u/3u lesson, we just work through each topic (very slowly and lamely imo) I would raise some concern if you have different teachers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)