Difference between computer Science/Science IT? (1 Viewer)

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
hai ppl!

I'm having a problem to see the difference now between B,science in IT and comp Science. Whats the difference?

Because I know that when doing Science in IT you dont do any math at all. And i want to do some maths.

What are the job prospects with a comp science degree andScience in IT?

Which uni is the best for compscience, in terms of getting a job after your degree& education?

magic

HSC
There are no major difference between them (UTS v UNSW v USYD), just that different unis call them different names.
From memory they are:

UTS: BSc in IT
UNSW: BSc (CompSc)
USYD: B Comp Sc & Tech
MQ: CompSc, info. sys., IT etc (has various names)
UWS: Comp, B Bus(info sys) (has various names)

Generally, they are equivalent as an computing degree overall. But of course each course and each uni is different. You would need to look at the subjects of the course outlines to decide which is best for you.

Why do you want to do maths? UTS and UWS BBus(InfoSys) does not have any maths in it (thats why I think they are good), all the rest have some first year maths. But perhaps you are good at it and can get good marks in it.

Job prospects of IT(UTS) vs CompSc(other unis) are the same in terms of the name of the degree, but I'd say that UTS has the best (considerably higher) prospects since they have a Diploma as well which is one year industrial experience. However, it is 4 years for the industrial experience (optional) taking up one year. But if you take out the industrial experience to make all things equal, then to me it would be hard to pick which of UTS UNSW or USYD is best for getting a job, it would be up to your skills, experience, and personal attributes.

I chose UTS because it didnt have any maths, is the easiest to travel to, UTS is well known for 'tech' subjects and the course structure and subjects suited me best (most important).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
There is not a huge difference between the UNSW and USYD IT and compsci, however there is a difference to UTS. IT at usyd has a really high uai cut off and only offers 40 places, but its pretty similar to normal comp sci. I can't comment on UWS and MQ as I havent had too much to do with those degrees. As stated above Maths is not prominent at uts which, in my opinion, was a huge downside as maths is really important in the area that I want to get into in comp sci. Compare this to usyd/unsw where about 40% of first year includes study of straight maths (not to mention maths you do in computing subjects). UTS degrees are a lot more focussed on the business/information systems side of computing which, again, was something i wasnt too interested in.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
acmilan said:
There is not a huge difference between the UNSW and USYD IT and compsci, however there is a difference to UTS. IT at usyd has a really high uai cut off and only offers 40 places, but its pretty similar to normal comp sci. I can't comment on UWS and MQ as I havent had too much to do with those degrees. As stated above Maths is not prominent at uts which, in my opinion, was a huge downside as maths is really important in the area that I want to get into in comp sci. Compare this to usyd/unsw where about 40% of first year includes study of straight maths (not to mention maths you do in computing subjects). UTS degrees are a lot more focussed on the business/information systems side of computing which, again, was something i wasnt too interested in.
then which uni offers a good comp science degree? are comp science very difficult? I think I would like to do some more science stuff and not business...

roo

HSC
UTS also offers a B Maths and Computing with 1 year industry experience (the diploma, which is optional). More info is here:

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/sci/ug/c10220.html

The UAI cut-off isn't that high. My friend did this and she really enjoyed it and is now a Senior Business Analyst for Commonwealth Bank. It's good if you want to get into IT with statistics and finance stuff.

Hope this helps. :)

foxydena

HSC
UWS has these degrees:

Bachelor of Computer Science

Bachelor of Computing

Bachelor of Information Technology

Bachelor of Mathematics and Information Technology

Bachelor of Technology (Information Technology Support)

http://www.scm.uws.edu.au/courses/undergrad/

To be host UWS computing degrees are underated (not being biased though). People don't give credit to what these degrees at UWS for what are worth. Having studying a computing degree at UWS which is more practical than UTS and USyd degrees.

foxydena

HSC
roo said:
UTS also offers a B Maths and Computing with 1 year industry experience (the diploma, which is optional). More info is here:

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/sci/ug/c10220.html

The UAI cut-off isn't that high. My friend did this and she really enjoyed it and is now a Senior Business Analyst for Commonwealth Bank. It's good if you want to get into IT with statistics and finance stuff.

Hope this helps. :)

B Maths and Computing at UTS is copy version of the UWS B Maths and IT.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
foxydena said:
B Maths and Computing at UTS is copy version of the UWS B Maths and IT.
Er no, they're quite different. UTS isnt flash hot in maths, but the UWS maths is highly watered down compared to other unis. I dont see what you mean by uws offering practical computing. As opposed to other unis which offer impractical computing?

roo

HSC
I think any uni with work experience built into their degrees is very practical. It helps so much with Graduate Programs and any full-time work after uni.

UWS have a good selection of majors in their BIT. I wish UTS had a better selection with their sub-majors, or maybe even introducing majors.

foxydena

HSC
roo said:
I think any uni with work experience built into their degrees is very practical. It helps so much with Graduate Programs and any full-time work after uni.

UWS have a good selection of majors in their BIT. I wish UTS had a better selection with their sub-majors, or maybe even introducing majors.

I agree uws computing degree are more flexible with majors and sub-majors offered by any other universites. What I mean, is that UWS teach the theory and allow students to put it in practice through the practical classes. What I mean other universities tend to only emphaise you the theory part and have final work experience and/or a project.

What UWS is offering practical throughout their degrees (alot units offered do) and then final project which is completed for Partnership companies throughout Western Sydney or Industry placement in the case of B Tech (IT Support).

they're ......, but the UWS maths is highly watered down compared to other unis.
Aboslutely no, just about every computing degree in UWS has Maths in their course structure. i.e. Disrete mathematics and Statistics for Science, etc. (We all gain the same knowledge of maths) but highly sought and stressed by UWS through lots of subjects in maths. Especially, in B Maths and IT degree and more fexible.

B Maths and IT www.handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=3509
B Maths and Computing www.handbook.uts.edu.au/sci/ug/c10158.html

Don't be fooled by the Technology in UTS.
and low UAI of UWS computing

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
foxydena said:
I agree uws computing degree are more flexible with majors and sub-majors offered by any other universites.
I disagree, at unsw and when i was at usyd there were tonnes of majors, at unsw you dont even have to do a major (which makes comp sci extremely flexible as the number of core subjects you need to do are decreased). UNSW is renowed for its extremely flexible comp sci. In 2 years i've managed to take physics, history, philosophy and arts subjects and am still on track (in fact im slightly ahead of where a normal full time 2nd year student would be).

foxydena said:
What I mean, is that UWS teach the theory and allow students to put it in practice through the practical classes.
And other unis dont do practical classes? Right now, in one week, i'm doing 4 hours worth of labs at uni (then another 7 hours of lectures and tutorials), and the prac work at home often takes complete weekends to complete. This is only for 2 comp subjects (since im combined i do only half the normal comp subjects), full time comp sci students tend to do 4 comp subjects

foxydena said:
What I mean other universities tend to only emphaise you the theory part and have final work experience and/or a project.
Again, thats not the case. UWS isnt the only uni that does this

foxydena said:
Aboslutely no, just about every computing degree in UWS has Maths in their course structure. i.e. Disrete mathematics and Statistics for Science, etc. (We all gain the same knowledge of maths) but highly sought and stressed by UWS through lots of subjects in maths. Especially, in B Maths and IT degree and more fexible.

B Maths and IT www.handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=3509
B Maths and Computing www.handbook.uts.edu.au/sci/ug/c10158.html

Don't be fooled by the Technology in UTS.
and low UAI of UWS computing
I didnt say UWS dont teach maths. I said the maths they teach is sub par compared to other unis (especially compared to unsw and usyd). And i'm saying this from experience, i have seen the maths taught at pretty much all the major sydney unis. If you dont believe me, compare the first year maths a normal usyd/unsw student needs to take in first year to that of a uws student.

I dont see what you mean by your last sentence. UTS isnt trying to fool anyone. I personally dont like UTS, but I admit its a fine institution, arguably the best for IT, and the results of graduates speak for itself, no need to 'fool' people.

Also, i dont see how you can say the uts course is a copy of the uws one. Just look at the units, theres clearly a big difference, and imo the uts is a lot more appealing

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
foxydena said:
I agree uws computing degree are more flexible with majors and sub-majors offered by any other universites.
I shall point you there: http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2006/cour766.html
A major in Computer Science involves doing two extra third year CSCI subjects on top of the core subjects. Simple. You can then major in one of another four computing areas (will be five next year), or in one of the other areas listed (second majors almost always assume Computer Science is the first major... that is, you do all core subjects, and two extra 300-level CSCI subjects).

The majors listed on the site are the official majors. So long as you complete a Computer Science first major, they'll pretty much let you do a major from anywhere else. With just over half the degree taken up by cores, you have PLENTY of free credit points for pretty much any major of your choosing.

UWS isn't the only flexible university. ;)

What I mean, is that UWS teach the theory and allow students to put it in practice through the practical classes.
You've pretty much got a practical subject that you take every semester until the final project starts in UOW. That being said, none of the purely theory subjects are compulsory apart from discrete mathematics and statistics. My computer science degree so far has been prac after prac after prac. Discrete maths, statistics and my Arts degree got me away from prac computers.

What I mean other universities tend to only emphaise you the theory part and have final work experience and/or a project.
Just explained above by both acmilan and myself. :)

What UWS is offering practical throughout their degrees (alot units offered do) and then final project which is completed for Partnership companies throughout Western Sydney or Industry placement in the case of B Tech (IT Support).
Most, though I should hope all, IT/CompSc degrees offer that. As I mentioned above, my computing degree has just been practical subjects. You don't learn about lexical analysis or text parsing unless you have a go at it yourself. You don't learn how a processor does its processing properly unless you code a process scheduler yourself.

Aboslutely no, just about every computing degree in UWS has Maths in their course structure. i.e. Disrete mathematics and Statistics for Science, etc.
Since discrete maths is foundational for computer science, I'd assume all students doing a CompSc degree (not necessarily IT) would take it. As for statistics, it's very important to be able to understand variation and uncertainty... especially since some computing uses random numbers, and there's more than the C srand()/rand() calls. :)

All that post seemed to confirm is that UWS is like every other university when it comes to computing and IT. :)

magic

HSC
UWS is not more practical than UTS. The reason I think you are saying this is because you are studying IT Support, which may have a lot of practical subjects, but this degree can be considered to be the least desired degree of all IT degrees. You go to uni to learn IT support???

UWS is also the least desired and least respected uni from all metro sydney unis, as most would agree. However, it is better than nothing, and is still a good achievement. It is also under resourced. Other unis are much better.

Maths for an single IT degree is not 'highly sought'. Maths is a fundamental subject which is in most IT degrees, and therefore the knowledge of maths is not 'highly sought' in the IT workplace.

UTS is well respected for its IT. Many people who transferred from UWS to UTS say that IT at UTS is Much better than UWS. UTS is also introducing majors next year.

foxydena

HSC
Originally posted by acmilan

UTS isnt flash hot in maths, but the UWS maths is highly watered down compared to other unis.

I don't know what you mean by this? Please explain?

Are you are saying that UWS computing teaches lower as aspects of maths not the advanced stuff?. We all learn the same level of knowledge. You are saying UWS maths in computing is a lower standard compare to other unis

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
foxydena said:
Originally posted by acmilan

I don't know what you mean by this? Please explain?

Are you are saying that UWS computing teaches lower as aspects of maths not the advanced stuff?. We all learn the same level of knowledge. You are saying UWS maths in computing is a lower standard compare to other unis
Yes, I am. Its simple, compare the maths taught at uws to, say, usyd or unsw, and you'll see. We dont learn the same level of knowledge, theres no university that offers exactly the same thing in computing, its up to the individual to find the one that offers nearest to what they want. Saying 'it doesnt matter which uni you go to, you'll come out knowing the same thing' is ignorant as far as computing goes. Similarly, saying that one unis degree is a copy of anothers is ignorant, when simply looking at the first year units without even considering further years shows theres quite a difference in the skills taught.

Note: i'm not saying the fact that uws maths is crap makes their computing crap, i was specifically referring to their maths and IT degree in comparisons to the UTS one.

Last edited:

JBakaka

HSC
so i guess it just depends on what you want then. i mean you guys are only expressing opinions.
i don't know yet because im not in uni yet, but as long as i get my course i'll be pretty happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)